Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Astros 4/17/09

Re: Reds vs Astros 4/17/09

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Really nice throw by Hernandez. I like what I've seen from both our backstops so far this year defensively.
    I'd say defensively the team is well improved over last year. Which means the excuses for the pitchers diminish.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If runs cross the plate, you lose. You're not as good.
    Gee, I would have never figured that one out. :

The Reds have 5 hits, and the Astros 2.

It's not Cueto vs Oswalt, as much as it's Cueto vs the Astro batters. He was matching Oswalt, as far as peformance goes. Geez! He left the game down 1-0, not down 7-0. And there is no denying he hurt himself with the walks in the 5th.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bruce not clicking is absolutely torpedoing it right now. And Gonzalez is beyond a black hole.
    until they stop hacking at anything remotely close to the strike zone it isn't likely to change. Bruce showed a lack of plate discipline in his ascent thru the minors but most chose to ignore it(even though it is one of the best predictors of success).

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    This will be Taveras' 8th straight at bat leading off an inning
    Isn't that mathematically impossible or against the rules or something?

So Cueto can't take that leap forward and outpitch a great pitcher? He's resigned to second-tier status? Who's the pessimist here?
    I think you're being a bit rough on a #4 starter who gave up one run in 5+ innings against an ace. His pitch to Oswalt wasn't "cute," it was an outside FB from what I recall, and was clearly a good pitch.

Oswalt gets that call, Cueto doesn't, that's the way it is for now.

The problem is this offense is not capable of scoring enough runs to win, often enough.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Poor pitch to try that bunt on. But I like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    until they stop hacking at anything remotely close to the strike zone it isn't likely to change. Bruce showed a lack of plate discipline in his ascent thru the minors but most chose to ignore it(even though it is one of the best predictors of success).
    So far the hitting has been by far the best part of this team. It's not even close. It may not last, but this argument is a tad off the mark as of now.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I think you're being a bit rough on a #4 starter who gave up one run in 5+ innings against an ace. His pitch to Oswalt wasn't "cute," it was an outside FB from what I recall, and was clearly a good pitch.

The problem is this offense is not capable of scoring enough runs to win, often enough.
    Great post.

So far the hitting has been by far the best part of this team. It's not even close. It may not last, but this argument is a tad off the mark as of now.
    yep that sub 700 OPS is a sure sign of a winning offense.

Votto with a sharp double to left. Nice hustle out of the box gets him to second.

been nice if someone had been on ahead of Votto
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post

Oswalt wasn't getting that pitch either. I think the pitch that Cueto threw to Oswalt in the fifth was a strike but Oswalt was getting squeezed as well.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

BP wailing away

gO rEdz.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Oswalt wasn't getting that pitch either. I think the pitch that Cueto threw to Oswalt in the fifth was a strike but Oswalt was getting squeezed as well.
    Yep. You may not like the strike zone, but he's been VERY consistant with it and that's pretty much all I ask from any ref or ump from just about any sport.

Turn Off Ads?