Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Wish List

Free Agent Wish List

Hey! Season's over!

Here are some quality FA's that I think the Reds could benefit from signing in 2012:

Grady Sizemore: Total Stud. With depth in CF, the Reds could roll the dice he stays healthy for 4-5 million. Injuries are a concern, but players with this talent only need to be 80%.

Johnny Damon: This guy still has 2-3 years left and can probably still hit 15 HR in GABP while providing a tough out in the lineup. 3-5 million.

Josh Willingham: He'll probably get close to 8-10 million since there isn't much else out there and he's never OPS'd under .800. No doubt he'd help this lineup as a cleanup hitter.

JD Drew: Another premium talent. He knows the K zone. Coming off an injury year and going to be 36. He's a winner. 3-5 million.

Roy Oswalt: His retirement talk is probably him coming to terms with an aging body. Maybe he would hang it up early, but I doubt it. 3 years, 36 million.

Vazquez

Buehrle

These are the types of targets the Reds need. Similar to the Rolen acquisition, this team will benefit from another veteran with a consistant bat or arm. Making room in the OF shouldn't be an issue, and the rotation needs more stability. Perhaps they have 10-15 million to spend if payroll goes to 85 million and they don't keep Cordero.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Free Agent Wish List

Your list is nice but I don't know about JD Drew. Maybe my bias is coming through, being a Cards fan and seeing what he did when he was a Cards player, but the guy is unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Hey! Season's over!

Here are some quality FA's that I think the Reds could benefit from signing in 2012:

Grady Sizemore: Total Stud. With depth in CF, the Reds could roll the dice he stays healthy for 4-5 million. Injuries are a concern, but players with this talent only need to be 80%.

Johnny Damon: This guy still has 2-3 years left and can probably still hit 15 HR in GABP while providing a tough out in the lineup. 3-5 million.

Josh Willingham: He'll probably get close to 8-10 million since there isn't much else out there and he's never OPS'd under .800. No doubt he'd help this lineup as a cleanup hitter.

JD Drew: Another premium talent. He knows the K zone. Coming off an injury year and going to be 36. He's a winner. 3-5 million.

Roy Oswalt: His retirement talk is probably him coming to terms with an aging body. Maybe he would hang it up early, but I doubt it. 3 years, 36 million.

Vazquez

Buehrle

These are the types of targets the Reds need. Similar to the Rolen acquisition, this team will benefit from another veteran with a consistant bat or arm. Making room in the OF shouldn't be an issue, and the rotation needs more stability. Perhaps they have 10-15 million to spend if payroll goes to 85 million and they don't keep Cordero.
    Starting pitcher first. Vazquez is retiring. Oswalt has too many injury issues. Buehrle is the guy I'd like to see them add. If they could add a strong starter without dealing Alonso, Votto or Bruce, then I don't really think they need to do anything with the position players they have. The primary weakness they had in 2011, as far as position players are concerned, was a lack of middle of the order depth and guys who can hit well against RHP. That weakness is addressed with Alonso replacing Gomes as the primary LF and with Heisey as a strong 4th OFer. The bottom of the roster is much stronger with Cozart replacing Janish, Mes replacing Ramon and Francisco and Frazier replacing Lewis and Renteria. The only reason they may need to add a position player would be if some need to be dealt to fix the rotation. If they could sign Buerhle while leaving Chapman in the pen, I'd say they are all set. Deal Volquez for a prospect or two and be done with it.

Cueto
    Buerhle
    Leake
    Bailey
    Arroyo

Wood
    Lecure
    Ondrusek
    Masset
    Bray
    Arredondo
    Chapman

Phillips 2B
    Stubbs/Heisey CF
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Alonso LF
    Rolen/Francisco 3B
    Meseraco/Hanigan C
    Cozart SS

Cairo and Frazier round out the bench as utility guys. Beyond that, they may look at dealing Stubbs if Sappelt forces his way in. Sappelt in CF and the 2 hole looks alot better, but they wouldn't need to force the move.

Fortifying the rotation with another effective innngs horse like Buehrle will do wonders for the bullpen and if Arroyo can bounce back to the 200+ league average innings guy that he has basically been while taking the gloves off as far as limiting Leake's innings and that pen should avoid imploding under the weight of overuse in April and May. Bailey would be the biggest question mark they have because of his health, but if he can stay healthy, I still think he'll be the ace by the end of the year. If his health falters, they still have Wood and Lecure as options.

They should sign some vets as insurance for AAA. This year's version of Willis (my vote is Scott Kazmir) and a steady defesive SS who could come up and field the position every day should Cozart be injured or awful should be things they look to add on the cheap.

If they must spend money on the bullpen, I hope its for cheap experience along the lines of Jason Isringhausen rather than sinking multiple years or anything over $2 Million into a reliever, but if they keep everyone but Cordero and leave Chapman in the pen, I don't think its necessary. Brad Boxberger will be on the scene by June and if used correctly he and Chapman might be dynamic at the end of the game (think Kimbrel/Ventors in Atlanta as an example) with strong arms like Arredondo, Bray and Masset really solid in the middle.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-29-2011 at 03:19 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Your list is nice but I don't know about JD Drew. Maybe my bias is coming through, being a Cards fan and seeing what he did when he was a Cards player, but the guy is unreliable.
    I mostly liked him as a Sox, but he was already talking about retiring after the season in ST.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Buerhle's going to the Cards if he leaves Chicago. He's from the St. Louis area.

Meh. Its OK to kick the tires. But none of them really excite me much more than anyone we already have in house.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Starting pitcher first. Vazquez is retiring. Oswalt has too many injury issues. Buehrle is the guy I'd like to see them add. If they could add a strong starter without dealing Alonso, Votto or Bruce, then I don't really think they need to do anything with the position players they have. The primary weakness they had in 2011, as far as position players are concerned, was a lack of middle of the order depth and guys who can hit well against RHP. That weakness is addressed with Alonso replacing Gomes as the primary LF and with Heisey as a strong 4th OFer. The bottom of the roster is much stronger with Cozart replacing Janish, Mes replacing Ramon and Francisco and Frazier replacing Lewis and Renteria. The only reason they may need to add a position player would be if some need to be dealt to fix the rotation. If they could sign Buerhle while leaving Chapman in the pen, I'd say they are all set. Deal Volquez for a prospect or two and be done with it.

Cueto
    Buerhle
    Leake
    Bailey
    Arroyo

Wood
    Lecure
    Ondrusek
    Masset
    Bray
    Arredondo
    Chapman

Phillips 2B
    Stubbs/Heisey CF
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Alonso LF
    Rolen/Francisco 3B
    Meseraco/Hanigan C
    Cozart SS

Cairo and Frazier round out the bench as utility guys. Beyond that, they may look at dealing Stubbs if Sappelt forces his way in. Sappelt in CF and the 2 hole looks alot better, but they wouldn't need to force the move.

Fortifying the rotation with another effective innngs horse like Buehrle will do wonders for the bullpen and if Arroyo can bounce back to the 200+ league average innings guy that he has basically been while taking the gloves off as far as limiting Leake's innings and that pen should avoid imploding under the weight of overuse in April and May. Bailey would be the biggest question mark they have because of his health, but if he can stay healthy, I still think he'll be the ace by the end of the year. If his health falters, they still have Wood and Lecure as options.

They should sign some vets as insurance for AAA. This year's version of Willis (my vote is Scott Kazmir) and a steady defesive SS who could come up and field the position every day should Cozart be injured or awful should be things they look to add on the cheap.

If they must spend money on the bullpen, I hope its for cheap experience along the lines of Jason Isringhausen rather than sinking multiple years or anything over $2 Million into a reliever, but if they keep everyone but Cordero and leave Chapman in the pen, I don't think its necessary. Brad Boxberger will be on the scene by June and if used correctly he and Chapman might be dynamic at the end of the game (think Kimbrel/Ventors in Atlanta as an example) with strong arms like Arredondo, Bray and Masset really solid in the middle.
    I wouldn't mind your way of doing things at all. However, Chapman needs to go into the rotation soon, he's more valuable that way. I hope a good Winter League showing doesn't stop Jocketty from getting another arm, or thinking practically about Cordero. Hazarding those things are hand in hand with entering Chapman into the rotation, at least until we see what happens.

I had heard about Vazquez retiring, but maybe he could be talked back for some extra cash. Renteria was talking that way last year as well.

Oswalt would need to find a clean bill of health for the Reds to sign him, and I somehow think he'd shirk off the idea of coming here, but he's an elite talent, totally grizzled, he'd be a boon for the rotation if healthy.

We agree on Buehrle. If he goes to St. Louis, that would suck. Maybe playing in the Central would be enough for him. His price tag will likely be too high and would probably squeeze out Phillips in 2013.

Again, I like the Heisey/Stubbs platoon, or possibly letting Sappelt take over CF. I like the upgrade Alonso brings to the lineup, specifically vs RHP. I think Cozart will add some offense as well. All those things will stabilize the offense. However, I think a great way to find value is to pick up guys that are coming off injury. In fact, I'd sign Sizemore to a 3 year deal if he'd do it. Eventually, he'll come out on the other side with the same talent as before. Perhaps he'd take a year to catch on, but catching on for him is something special. Think of what Lance Nix, Junior, Carpenter, etc have done post injury history. The fact that Sizemore comes with significant value as a slugger makes it worth while. I wouldn't, for example, pursue a guy like Rollins, who as a small speedy guy, I think would be more likely to perform badly.

I try to focus on premium talent and the list above is mostly that. In years past I've thought Damon, Abreu, Rolen, and Berkman were good finds. I feel pretty good about Sizemore and Oswalt in particular. These players could supercharge this team if they perform to 85% of their ability. Meanwhile, there is certainly enough depth to replace them if they falter. And their market values are down as well.

Finally, these also have a Walt Jocketty flavor to them. Add vets that have pedigree and an exceptional past, even while in decline or recovering from injury. Younger the better, sure, but don't overlook your Abreu's or Damons, especially since they are very healthy. As we've seen with Rolen, just half a season of production at their full potential is very valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I mostly liked him as a Sox, but he was already talking about retiring after the season in ST.
    If he wants to sit it out and get healthy, great, but I bet he'll find it hard to retire and bringing him back is worth the risk. I'm not familiar with his "troubled" past, but I don't really care. If Jocketty were to bring him in, big IF I guess, I would think it's all clear. I just like his OBP skills, this lineup could use more tough outs. In general, the Reds can find some outfield help among this list, which would be aimed at relegating the K kings Heisey and Stubbs to a less burdened role. Perhaps even traded.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I wouldn't mind your way of doing things at all. However, Chapman needs to go into the rotation soon, he's more valuable that way. I hope a good Winter League showing doesn't stop Jocketty from getting another arm, or thinking practically about Cordero. Hazarding those things are hand in hand with entering Chapman into the rotation, at least until we see what happens.

I had heard about Vazquez retiring, but maybe he could be talked back for some extra cash. Renteria was talking that way last year as well.

Oswalt would need to find a clean bill of health for the Reds to sign him, and I somehow think he'd shirk off the idea of coming here, but he's an elite talent, totally grizzled, he'd be a boon for the rotation if healthy.

We agree on Buehrle. If he goes to St. Louis, that would suck. Maybe playing in the Central would be enough for him. His price tag will likely be too high and would probably squeeze out Phillips in 2013.

Again, I like the Heisey/Stubbs platoon, or possibly letting Sappelt take over CF. I like the upgrade Alonso brings to the lineup, specifically vs RHP. I think Cozart will add some offense as well. All those things will stabilize the offense. However, I think a great way to find value is to pick up guys that are coming off injury. In fact, I'd sign Sizemore to a 3 year deal if he'd do it. Eventually, he'll come out on the other side with the same talent as before. Perhaps he'd take a year to catch on, but catching on for him is something special. Think of what Lance Nix, Junior, Carpenter, etc have done post injury history. The fact that Sizemore comes with significant value as a slugger makes it worth while. I wouldn't, for example, pursue a guy like Rollins, who as a small speedy guy, I think would be more likely to perform badly.

I try to focus on premium talent and the list above is mostly that. In years past I've thought Damon, Abreu, Rolen, and Berkman were good finds. I feel pretty good about Sizemore and Oswalt in particular. These players could supercharge this team if they perform to 85% of their ability. Meanwhile, there is certainly enough depth to replace them if they falter. And their market values are down as well.

Finally, these also have a Walt Jocketty flavor to them. Add vets that have pedigree and an exceptional past, even while in decline or recovering from injury. Younger the better, sure, but don't overlook your Abreu's or Damons, especially since they are very healthy. As we've seen with Rolen, just half a season of production at their full potential is very valuable.
    I don't fool with Sizemore unless he'll sign a minor league deal. The Reds can afford productive players. They can't afford dead money and I'm not convinced Sizemore will ever be all the way back.

The Reds should not spend one additional dime of the payflex that they have until a starter is added and they see how much room they have left afterwards. Any offseason plan that does not include adding a proven starting pitcher who is healthy and has repeatedly gone 200+ innings with an ERA under 4.00 is akin to punting 2012. This team can win if it gets what it needs and IMO adding that from the outside is an absolute requirement. All other things are secondary and that includes moving Chapman to the rotation. I just don't believe he'll develop into a good starter until he's had a couple of seasons of starting under his belt and by then he'll be looking for his next contract. I'd ride him as a weapon in the pen and wouldn't waste the time developing him to be the next ace in Boston or New York.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

1. Deal for Gonzalez, Shields, Pineda, or another TOR starter. If not, look to the following:

SP
    Paul Maholm-- LH, MOR starter. Meh signing, but could net value. Is he better than anything the Reds already have? The jury's out on that one.

Hiroki Kuroda-- This would be a prescient signing. But he's coming on the market at the perfect time and both New York and Boston are likely to bid big. If he's overlooked, he's a well above average starter who'd be at least the third-best Red pitcher next year.

Adam Wainwright-- Want to make a splash? Take a gamble paying TOR money to Wainwright. He may become available as the Cardinals look to find money for Pujols.

CJ Wilson-- No chance he signs for less than $18 million per season. No chance the Reds can go that high. Sigh. He'd have been nice.

If they deal for a starter, the Reds are likely going to have to give up Alonso. If so, here's my LF wish list:

LF
    Andruw Jones-- Power, can still play CF occasionally, and hits LH a ton. An odd platoon with Heisey could net 40 homers from LF, with 120 RBI, but low BA. Willing to take a walk. Plus, he's had a couple years to play from the bench and has done well. Should be fairly cheap.

Jason Kubel-- Another high K guy, but he has a chance to really go all monster in LF. He's a lefty, though, and I'd prefer a RH to hit between Votto and Bruce.

Omar Infante-- Might be a nice guy to have as a 140-game utility guy, a la Tony Phillips. Could play LF, 2B, SS, 3B, RF, and CF. Would be a good number two hitter in Cincinnati and might blossom in the small confines. Doesn't K much at all which would be a nice compliment to the rest of the order.

RP
    Jonathan Broxton-- Good gamble to take, IMO, in a two- or three-year contract. Great arm, could again become a monster closer. Or he could be out of baseball in a year.

Jon Rauch-- From northern Kentucky (Oldham County) and may want to spend more time at home. Still has a nice arm and could be a cheap option as closer. Worth a look.

The Cardinals already exercised Wainwright's option for the next 2 seasons. He's not available.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't fool with Sizemore unless he'll sign a minor league deal. The Reds can afford productive players. They can't afford dead money and I'm not convinced Sizemore will ever be all the way back.

The Reds should not spend one additional dime of the payflex that they have until a starter is added and they see how much room they have left afterwards. Any offseason plan that does not include adding a proven starting pitcher who is healthy and has repeatedly gone 200+ innings with an ERA under 4.00 is akin to punting 2012. This team can win if it gets what it needs and IMO adding that from the outside is an absolute requirement. All other things are secondary and that includes moving Chapman to the rotation. I just don't believe he'll develop into a good starter until he's had a couple of seasons of starting under his belt and by then he'll be looking for his next contract. I'd ride him as a weapon in the pen and wouldn't waste the time developing him to be the next ace in Boston or New York.
    I agree about adding a #3 or better starter. It's necessary. Depending on how much money is available before or after that acquisition I think it's possible to find value to improve the outfield. There are a lot of pieces in play, especially if the SP addition is via trade. My goal is to explore FA options for the Reds.

As far as Sizemore, or other injured players or older players, nothing ventured nothing gained. The best you can do is rest with players that, when they are healthy, are likely still elite. The idea is worthwhile to me because, even though there are some decent chances for development with the young guys, there is too much at stake not to explore if there are better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    1. Deal for Gonzalez, Shields, Pineda, or another TOR starter. If not, look to the following:

SP
    Paul Maholm-- LH, MOR starter. Meh signing, but could net value. Is he better than anything the Reds already have? The jury's out on that one.

Hiroki Kuroda-- This would be a prescient signing. But he's coming on the market at the perfect time and both New York and Boston are likely to bid big. If he's overlooked, he's a well above average starter who'd be at least the third-best Red pitcher next year.

Adam Wainwright-- Want to make a splash? Take a gamble paying TOR money to Wainwright. He may become available as the Cardinals look to find money for Pujols.

CJ Wilson-- No chance he signs for less than $18 million per season. No chance the Reds can go that high. Sigh. He'd have been nice.

If they deal for a starter, the Reds are likely going to have to give up Alonso. If so, here's my LF wish list:

LF
    Andruw Jones-- Power, can still play CF occasionally, and hits LH a ton. An odd platoon with Heisey could net 40 homers from LF, with 120 RBI, but low BA. Willing to take a walk. Plus, he's had a couple years to play from the bench and has done well. Should be fairly cheap.

Jason Kubel-- Another high K guy, but he has a chance to really go all monster in LF. He's a lefty, though, and I'd prefer a RH to hit between Votto and Bruce.

Omar Infante-- Might be a nice guy to have as a 140-game utility guy, a la Tony Phillips. Could play LF, 2B, SS, 3B, RF, and CF. Would be a good number two hitter in Cincinnati and might blossom in the small confines. Doesn't K much at all which would be a nice compliment to the rest of the order.

RP
    Jonathan Broxton-- Good gamble to take, IMO, in a two- or three-year contract. Great arm, could again become a monster closer. Or he could be out of baseball in a year.

Jon Rauch-- From northern Kentucky (Oldham County) and may want to spend more time at home. Still has a nice arm and could be a cheap option as closer. Worth a look.
    I like Infante as well, he'd be a good pickup for next year given the flux at SS, 3b and the OF.

I have to admit, I'm not to privy to relievers, I just can't get a read on who among them would be a clear upgrade, except maybe Heath Bell.

And I think Kuroda is pretty set on southern Cal.

I would kick the tires on Sizemore, and trade Stubbs in a package for pitching. If Sizemore fails to remain healthy you can still fall back on Heisey. Always deal from your strengths, the Reds have some depth in the OF.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd issue a private statement to all MLB teams that any player on the Reds is available for the right price. Then sit back and see if any crazy offers come in.

But in my book, if Cozart and Rolen are healthy, the only upgrades that need to be done are starting pitching and the bullpen.

Turn Off Ads?