Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

Getting down towards the end of the season -- lots of things are still up in the air.

LSU is #1, but still has the SEC Championship game to contend with.

Oregon has 2 straight road games (albeit against very beatable opponents).

Kansas is undefeated, but has to deal with #6 Missouri, PLUS a possible matchup with #3 Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship. Can anyone honestly justify keeping the Jayhawks out of the NC game if they have two wins against two Top-5 BCS opponents? For that matter, should the winner of the Big 12 automatically be penciled in for the title game?

Finally, what of the Hawaii Warriors? They're undefeated, but have played a schedule that's so soft it has been termed quad-ply. Can a team that doesn't beat a single BCS-conference team (their best win would be over Boise State) make a BCS Bowl? Even if they are undefeated?

Will UC make a BCS bowl? Will Michigan win the Big 10 and head to the Rose bowl even after losing to a 1AA program to open the year?

Make your predictions about the most hated system in sports here!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BCS 2007 Discussion Thread

The Big 12 needs either Kansas to win their league OR for Oregon or LSU to lose for them to get a spot. If Oklahoma wins that league while Oregon and LSU run the table, i think we will see the Ducks and Tigers in the title game.

If Kansas wins out they will jump Oregon. At that time Pac 10 fans will claim bias.

West Virginia and OSU need help. The biggest help could come from Oklahome State. If they can beat OKlahoma it would mean all 3 of the top Big 12 teams could still lose. Ok State beats OU, Kansas or Mizzou has to lose. Then say you get Kansas and OU in the Big 12 title game and OU wins. That is 3 of the top 6 out just like that. Then all you need is either an Oregon or an LSU loss. And one of them is bound to lose.

Hawaii has no business being in this discussion.

Kansas can earn a shot at the national title by winning out. (BTW - my wife was in Vegas last week and tried to place a $20 bet on the Jayhawks, only to find out they're not one of the teams listed in the sports book's betting roster. Friggin' Iowa State was listed, but not KU. She had to bet on the field instead.)

It's possible that Missouri could jump Oregon by winning out. In doing so, they'd have to beat #3 Kansas and #4 Oklahoma, which would be a huge boost to their strength of schedule.

Oklahoma, OTOH, doesn't control their own fate, since they'll only be playing one top-ranked team (either KU or MU). Oregon or LSU has to lose in order for the Sooners to have a shot.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Can a team that doesn't beat a single BCS-conference team (their best win would be over Boise State) make a BCS Bowl? Even if they are undefeated?
    Hawaii will also have to beat Washington to remain undefeated. If they get past Nevada, Boise and UW, I think they should play in a BCS game. Their schedule is obviously bad, but all you can do is beat everyone you play. We'd then find out in NOLA if the Rainbows were for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Hawaii will also have to beat Washington to remain undefeated. If they get past Nevada, Boise and UW, I think they should play in a BCS game. Their schedule is obviously bad, but all you can do is beat everyone you play. We'd then find out in NOLA if the Rainbows were for real.
    Part of the reason why the BCS added a fifth game was to allow more non-BCS conference participation. So we got to see Boise State in a BCS game last year. I see nothing wrong with Hawaii playing in a BCS game if they go undefeated. They would be more than deserving.

Plus, I think it's really fun to watch the little guy get to tee it up against the big boys.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-12-2007 at 11:47 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

If LSU wins out - including the SEC Championship game - then they'll get a national title shot. Likewise, if Kansas wins out - including beating both Missouri and Oklahoma - then they deserve a national title shot.

If Oregon wins out and one of LSU or Kansas stumbles, then Oregon will deserve a national title shot.

If Hawaii goes undefeated, then they absolutely deserve a BCS bowl bid.

And if UC wins out, then they'll have a very good shot at a BCS bowl bid. They don't necessarily control their own destiny, but the only help they'd need is for West Virginia to beat Connecticut in two weeks, which is likely since the game will be at West Virginia. Obviously it's possible for Connecticut to win that game, but I do think that this Saturday's West Virginia @ Cincinnati game will likely decide who wins the Big East.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

So basically, the only teams definitely controlling their own destiny are LSU and KU. There is a chance that Missouri could win out and see it's title shot go to Oregon.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Nothing against Kansas, but a NC game with them in it doesn't have a lot of appeal to me.

LSU-Oregon is a good matchup.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I saw Kansas play a little bit for the first time Saturday night. If its LSU, after what UK did to them, they better hope that someone knocks off Kansas. I think they will have a lot of trouble outscoring them, which is probably what it would come down to.

As for Oregon, aren't they banged up? Is that short-term or for the season?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I saw Kansas play a little bit for the first time Saturday night. If its LSU, after what UK did to them, they better hope that someone knocks off Kansas. I think they will have a lot of trouble outscoring them, which is probably what it would come down to.

I didn't see all of it, but I was real impressed with Kansas WR Marcus Henry. And supposedly their best WR had been knocked out earlier in the game.

Their game with Mizzou will be real interesting.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 11-12-2007 at 01:25 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

Kansas put 43 on a team that this season has given up 45 to Texas Tech, 41 to Troy, 39 to Kansas State and 38 to Texas. Pretty much everyone with any sort of offense has put up numbers on the Cowboys.

You may be right about Kansas but judging them from a game against Oklahoma State doesn't seem fair and neither does judging LSU from a game against Kentucky the week after they played Florida. Kansas has had ten pretty easy games. They haven't been beat up from many of their games. We'll see what they have when they play some real competition but laying 43 on a bad defense doesn't impress me.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 11-12-2007 at 01:23 PM.

I think Oregon is better than LSU and should be #1, even if LSU wins out. I get all the strength of schedule arguments and all that, but I just think they're a better team, and given that both have one loss, I'd be inclined to rank Oregon ahead. Actually, I think LSU is very much over-rated (Note: this isn't a conference thing, so don't turn this into another conference discussion. it's an individual team thing). While I think they're capable of beating anyone, I also think there are several teams that could, an probably would, beat them. They're not near as good as they're being made out to be, IMO. I'd take Oregon over them on a neutral site.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

If UC beats WVU and Syracuse and plays in the Orange Bowl I think I'll seriously cry. This program has come so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think Oregon is better than LSU and should be #1, even if LSU wins out. I get all the strength of schedule arguments and all that, but I just think they're a better team, and given that both have one loss, I'd be inclined to rank Oregon ahead. Actually, I think LSU is very much over-rated (Note: this isn't a conference thing, so don't turn this into another conference discussion. it's an individual team thing). While I think they're capable of beating anyone, I also think there are several teams that could, an probably would, beat them. They're not near as good as they're being made out to be, IMO. I'd take Oregon over them on a neutral site.

But if Oregon plays LSU in the BCS championship game, it's going to be in New Orleans. It's nominally a neutral site but it's akin to playing tOSU in Cincinnati or Columbus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But if Oregon plays LSU in the BCS championship game, it's going to be in New Orleans. It's nominally a neutral site but it's akin to playing tOSU in Cincinnati or Columbus.
    It'd be no different than playing someone like Miami in the Orange Bowl or UCLA or USC in the Rose Bowl. It's always a road game for the north teams.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?