Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Weathers, Reds avoid arbitration with $3.9M deal

Re: Weathers, Reds avoid arbitration with $3.9M deal

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I really think the Reds offered him arb with the hope of him bouncing and acquiring a pick, it just didn't work out that way.
    It's my recollection that the Reds were negotiating with Weathers before they offered arbitration. Anyone else remember if that was the case? If they were indeed negotiating with him then that shows they did want him back. The only issue is at what price. Seeing as he signed for about what he's made recently for the Reds, I don't think the team is floored at what Weathers is going to cost them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't think the team is floored at what Weathers is going to cost them.
    Relief Pitchers are very volatile year to year, you just can't count on'em to be very consistent.

The Reds have spent a ton of money on below average arms in the bullpen the past few years. Money that (IMHO) could very well have been spent on productive players.

We could say Weathers has been productive and that could very well be true.

We could say Weathers has been very lucky and that could very well be true.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-03-2009 at 03:49 AM.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's my recollection that the Reds were negotiating with Weathers before they offered arbitration. Anyone else remember if that was the case? If they were indeed negotiating with him then that shows they did want him back. The only issue is at what price. Seeing as he signed for about what he's made recently for the Reds, I don't think the team is floored at what Weathers is going to cost them.
    Is "floored" good or bad in this instance?

I think he means it as a good thing.

And the simple fact remains that Cincy's payroll balance is ridiculous with respect to the bullpen. If they are indeed fine with that, if Walt really made those signings knowing full well what the ultimate budget would be and how much he was burning on the pen, well, I firmly agree to disagree with his approach.

Sorry for bumping this but I didn't want to start another thread.

Will someone please explain to me why Dusty Baker continues to use David Weathers in crucial situations? He's simply not an eighth inning pitcher. He throws 88 mph fastballs and a flat slider. I think Dusty Baker is the only person in baseball who thinks Weathers is a high leverage arm. Use Masset in the 8th inning, he's a much better option.

I'm looking forward to the day David Weathers is no longer a Red. Nothing against the guy, he seems like a great guy, but I'm just so tired of seeing him misused by the Reds. He's fine as a 7th inning guy but he doesn't belong in the setup role.

Weathers has a use, and unfortunately we've seen Dusty trust in the vets in those situations. Honestly his management of the pen hasn't bothered me a whole lot this season. Now the line up.....

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

David Weather's career BABIP is a respectable .310. What you would expect.

This year, it's .213. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going to happen in Weather's future appearances this year.

OBM is right, he needs to be pitching the 6th and 7th. He's not the guy you want pitching with the game on the line and the team's best hitters coming up. He relies too much on luck. That is not a role he is suited for.

I would love to see Masset in that role from now on.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Nothing wrong with Weathers in the eighth. Problem is not his inning. He could mess up a game in the sixth too. Or he could succeed in the sixth or the eighth.

Tonight Dusty kept him out there too long. Weathers pitched out of Rhodes' trouble in the eighth. You can't expect him to pitch out of trouble again in the ninth. I don't like Weathers for longer stints, but especially when he faces trouble multiple times.

I think Dusty was trying to get away with one tonight, his pen is worn thin, he was facing extra innings. So he tried to go longer with Weathers and it backfired.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post

This year, it's .213. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going to happen in Weather's future appearances this year.

OBM is right, he needs to be pitching the 6th and 7th. He's not the guy you want pitching with the game on the line and the team's best hitters coming up. He relies too much on luck. That is not a role he is suited for.

He needs to be pitching on another team..... i'd trade him fast and furiously.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post

Masset's BABIP is .207 this year, with a career BABIP of .316.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Weathers in the eighth. Problem is not his inning. He could mess up a game in the sixth too. Or he could succeed in the sixth or the eighth.

Tonight Dusty kept him out there too long. Weathers pitched out of Rhodes' trouble in the eighth. You can't expect him to pitch out of trouble again in the ninth. I don't like Weathers for longer stints, but especially when he faces trouble multiple times.

I think Dusty was trying to get away with one tonight, his pen is worn thin, he was facing extra innings. So he tried to go longer with Weathers and it backfired.
    The fact is, the visiting team is going to lose the game tied in the 9th inning more times than not. Ironically, our chances of not losing were better with runners on first and second with two outs (55% of the time, the home team wins) than with the bases empty (62%).

http://winexp.walkoffbalk.com/expectancy/search

You said it rather succinctly. Sometimes Weathers will get the job done, sometimes not. Even as folks have come around to Weathers succeeding, it's still a tight rope act and he'll never not be that type of pitcher. A fresh arm might have been nice, but I agree we still were faced with extra innings and needing guys for then. You roll the dice and see what happens.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I still like Weathers, but I think Kc61's post was spot-on. He's not a multi-inning pitcher any more. Whether its age and fatigue takes something off his pitches more quickly now, batters discern his patterns and pitches more, or whateer, he seems still fairly effective for 1 inning, but no more.

When I saw he was coming out for the 9th, I went "uh-oh". I'll also admit that he seems a good guy and a good teammate and that probably colors my judgement some. I'm always a sucker for good character.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Reds got beat last night the same way the Phillies got beat the night before. It happens in baseball. For the season Weathers has done his job pretty damn well. The pitch that Victorino hit IMO was a good pitch. It was down on the outside corner of the zone that Victorino managed to get his bat on. Weathers lost the game last night but to say he is a bad pitcher and needs to go is a gross overreaction.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Gotta agree with OnBaseMachine. Weathers time has passed. Remember Mike Stanton? Don't let things regress to a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser View Post
    Gotta agree with OnBaseMachine. Weathers time has passed. Remember Mike Stanton? Don't let things regress to a similar situation.
    If there was a significantly better option I would agree. But there isn't.

Turn Off Ads?