Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else still bothered by the Cardinals/Peralta signing?

Anyone else still bothered by the Cardinals/Peralta signing?

Here you have an organization in St. Louis that has more attachments to steroid/HGH rumors than anyone else, and some aren't even "rumors." For instance, it's a fact Mark McGwire used. Yet, he's revered in St. Louis with the "Big Mac Land" and all the other nonsense. Let's praise a known cheater! Good message to the kids. And this doesn't even take into account all the guys who have been rumored to have used like Edmonds, Pujols, Molina, etc.

So, what do the Cardinals do this offseason? They reward Jhonny Peralta for taking steroids by signing him to a 4-year, $52 million contract. I almost thought it was a story from The Onion when I first read it. Peralta is popped for 50 games for using -- and the Cardinals turn around and give him $52 million? Again, what a great message to send to the kids.

Major League Baseball: "Kids, make sure you never, ever use steroids."

Kids: "Why? The Cardinals might give me $52 million if I do."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone else still bothered by the Cardinals/Peralta signing?

Maybe its just because I don't have kids, but who cares?

4. Likes:

Beltway (03-31-2014),Cursh14 (03-31-2014),dougdirt (03-31-2014),gilpdawg (03-31-2014),Hoosier Red (03-31-2014),JayBruceFan (03-31-2014),m21eagle45 (03-31-2014),OGB (03-31-2014),pahster (03-31-2014),Ravenlord (03-31-2014),reds44 (03-31-2014),Revering4Blue (04-01-2014),westofyou (03-31-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No, it doesn't bother me.

Please... Peralta and Stephen Drew were the two best FA short stops on the market this off season. John Mozeliak, Cards GM, said that they opted to go with Peralta because they wanted another right-handed bat in the line-up, and he hits lefties really, really well -- which most of the Cardinals every day players do not. That's it. This is about winning and nothing more.

The Cardinals can't fix what happened with McGwire. But it shouldn't restrain them in their future moves. I guarantee you if the Reds needed a shortstop, they would have considered Peralta, as well.

Last note: Outside of McGwire and now Peralta, I can't think of a single Cardinal tied to PEDs. Edmonds? Pujols? Please. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're drug users. And the Cardinals are hardly the only team that's had a known user. Every franchise has had them on their teams -- they just don't know it yet.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-31-2014)

My bet is that Peralta goes all Melky this year and following, making that $52M a mistake by our rival.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    My bet is that Peralta goes all Melky this year and following, making that $52M a mistake by our rival.
    Now, that could very well happen... which is why the Cardinals spent money on signing Cuban defector Aledyms Diaz. He's at AA Springfield right now, but they think he'll fast track to the bigs and be a SS at best or a super utility at absolute worst.

I don't understand the issue with roids. If these guys want to risk health issues for money and glory so be it. It's their choice. I mean.. didn't Hank Aaron use amphetamines?

12. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-31-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    I don't understand the issue with roids. If these guys want to risk health issues for money and glory so be it. It's their choice. I mean.. didn't Hank Aaron use amphetamines?
    It's breaking the law and the rules of the sport. People get mad about that. And that, I am ok with. What I don't get is people who decide that the punishments that the game decided on isn't enough. It is well within the rules that if you get suspended for PED use that you are still eligible to play once your suspension is up. That is what Peralta did. I don't see the issue. Boo him if you want to I guess. But why wouldn't a team try to improve their team within the rules of the game?

14. Likes:

Beltway (03-31-2014),Cursh14 (03-31-2014),Hoosier Red (03-31-2014),kpresidente (03-31-2014),m21eagle45 (03-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    but they think he'll fast track to the bigs and be a SS at best or a super utility at absolute worst.
    I call shenanigans on this. I would say absolute worst for this guy is he never amounts to anything. As I said when they signed this guy to a small contract. If he was really that sought after he would have gotten a bigger deal. I think his best case scenario is fringe starter/utility man.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I call shenanigans on this. I would say absolute worst for this guy is he never amounts to anything. As I said when they signed this guy to a small contract. If he was really that sought after he would have gotten a bigger deal. I think his best case scenario is fringe starter/utility man.
    That's true. My point is that's what the organization believes his floor is. But yeah... he could be a bust, like any guy in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It's breaking the law and the rules of the sport. People get mad about that. And that, I am ok with. What I don't get is people who decide that the punishments that the game decided on isn't enough. It is well within the rules that if you get suspended for PED use that you are still eligible to play once your suspension is up. That is what Peralta did. I don't see the issue. Boo him if you want to I guess. But why wouldn't a team try to improve their team within the rules of the game?
    It's breaking the rules now, but he also brought up Mcgwire. If I recall correctly steroids weren't against baseball rules back then. It was against the law then however. Also, I bet alot of the same people deathly opposed to steroids think Pete Rose belongs in the hall. I don't know.. to me it's a non issue.

My feelings on PED's are well known, but I'd rather put a hold on this thread for a few days. I'd love to discuss Peralta signing, just not on opening day.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

19. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-31-2014)

Who cares? need to stop worrying so much about what St.Louis is doing.
    Go Gators!

21. Likes:

drowg14 (03-31-2014),Hoosier Red (03-31-2014),mth123 (03-31-2014),Old school 1983 (03-31-2014)

Pete's head says:

Get yer mind off of the Cardinals and worry about yer own house

23. Likes:

Big Klu (03-31-2014),Old school 1983 (03-31-2014),SidneySlicker (03-31-2014),TDogg (03-31-2014)

Anyone think Chuckie is just Chris Carpenter looking for advice on how to explain the signing to his son?

25. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-31-2014),Hoosier Red (03-31-2014)

Turn Off Ads?