Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Top Ten

-The Insider-

2011 Top Ten

Bordem led me to this. But what is your guys' 2011 Cincinnati Reds Top Ten Prospects?

Here's mine:

1. Aroldis Chapman
    2. Yonder Alonso
    3. Devin Mesoraco
    4. Yorman Rodriguez
    5. Todd Frazier
    6. Donnie Joseph
    7. Yasmani Grandal
    8. Juan Francisco
    9. Zack Cozart
    10. Neftali Soto

I feel as though I could flip flop some of them (Frazier and Joseph and Grandal and Francisco)

Thoughts? This is just off the top of my head without a deep look into it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 Top Ten

1. Aroldis Chapman
    2. Yonder Alonso
    3. Devin Mesoraco
    4. Yorman Rodriguez
    5. Yasmani Grandal
    6. Zack Cozart
    7. Donnie Joseph
    8. Todd Frazier
    9. Juan Francisco
    10. Neftali Soto

Mine for now, maybe one of the young pitchers jumps in there depending on reports.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

1. Aroldis Chapman
    2. Devin Mesoraco
    3. Zach Cozart
    4. Yonder Alonso
    5. Donnie Joseph
    6. Yorman Rodriguez
    7. Billy Hamilton
    8. Yasmani Grandal
    9. Juan Duran
    10. Juan Francisco

For me the top 5 is pretty clear. After that there may be about 30 guys who you could put in the bottom half of the top 10 and I could see the reasoning.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Resident PED Expert

Chapman - 104 MPH
    Mesoraco - Defensive catcher who hits with power and patience
    Cozart - Balanced SS prospect with power
    Joseph - 2nd best LHR in the Minors (Collins)
    Alonso - 1B prospect who can't play 1B in Cincy doesn't make him much of a prospect
    Grandal - Switch hitting catcher who can maybe play 3B
    Yorman - He will be in the majors in 3 years. Watch.
    Francisco - Hits and hits and hits, year after year after year.
    Frazier - Has found a home in LF, Bat has come around in 2nd half
    Soto - Only has a 12% LD rate and is still OPSing .850 vs RHP

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    1. Aroldis Chapman
    2. Devin Mesoraco
    3. Zach Cozart
    4. Yonder Alonso
    5. Donnie Joseph
    6. Yorman Rodriguez
    7. Billy Hamilton
    8. Yasmani Grandal
    9. Juan Duran
    10. Juan Francisco

For me the top 5 is pretty clear. After that there may be about 30 guys who you could put in the bottom half of the top 10 and I could see the reasoning.
    This ^^^^

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mine is quite a bit different from those posted so far. My top 5 is Chapman, Mesoraco, Alonso and Hamilton/Rodriguez (not sure just yet on where I am leaning on this one).

Chapman
    Mesoraco
    Alonso
    Rodriguez
    Hamilton
    Cozart
    Grandal
    Frazier
    Duran
    Joseph

I will admit I dont know enough about the lower minors guys real talent other than guys who blow away the league in some fashion. my 9 and 10 are really flimsy and could easily move to 12 if I just knew more about some other guys.

1. Aroldis Chapman
    2. Devin Mesoraco
    3. Yonder Alonso
    4. Yorman Rodriguez
    5. Yasmani Grandal
    6. Billy Hamilton
    7. Todd Frazier
    8. Zack Cozart
    9. Juan Francisco
    10. Donnie Jose[h

Really, 5-9 could be mixed up in any order and I would not argue it. I am still high on Frazier, as Cozart I still wonder about once he gets up to face consistent MLB pitching and catching.

Some of the AZL Reds as well as Sotto, LaMarre would just be on the outside of my list.

Ten is hard. But I'll cast my lot with:

1. Chapman
    2. Mesoraco
    3. Yorman
    4. Francisco
    5. Cozart
    6. Alonso
    7. Hamilton
    8. Frazier
    9. Torreyes
    10. Joseph

The majority of the next 10 could easily slip into the bottom of the top 10, depending on the way the wind is blowing that day:

Guillon, Grandal, Correa, Barnhart, Sappelt, Duran, Johnson, LaMarre, Gregorius, Arias.

1. Chapman
    2. Mesoraco
    3. Alonso
    4. Rodriguez
    5. Cozart
    6. Grandal
    7. Hamilton
    8. Francisco
    9. Arias
    10. Guilon or Boxberger
    I am afraid that Frazier and Maloney have reached the ceiling of their potential.
    The progress that Lotzka and Ravin showed is very encouraging. They could really show improved performance next year if they sustain this success.
    There are lots of short -season prospects: great optimism for 2011 to see what they can do.

I'll post a differnt answer of the same ilk:

10 prospects I'm most interested in watching their progress/performance in 2011 (ie guy's who's ceiling or current abilitys make me salivate the most, so its likely going to be high on low minors guys w/ lots of potential)

1) Chapman: what's not to love about a lefty throwing 104 mph off the bump? Will he make the rotation in the majors, start out in the minors or remain in the pen?
    2) Mes: The guys development has been unreal. Starting out in Cincy is unlikely unless there's an injury in spring training, but I'm looking forward to his big league debut sometime in 2011.
    3) Yorman: Oddles of potential and should be displaying for a full season for the first time.
    4) Alonso: He'd be 2nd on this list if I didn't think he's going to be on someone else's major league roster next spring. None the less, unless he learns to play LF, I'm excited to see the return he nets this winter and his eventual development in the pros. Seems like he's going to be a bat to reckon with.
    5) Hamilton: so much athleticism and potential, should be on display for a full season along w/ Yorman in Dayton. Dayton is going to be fun to follow.
    6) Grandal: freshly minted 1st round pick, could be part of one of the deeper catching systems in the majors next year. How have things changed in the catching prospect department for the Reds the last couple of seasons.
    7) Soto: Will he go to the AFL to play more catcher? Will he get in better shape? Could be a great stick behind the plate if he ever learns the position. If they move him off of catcher permantly, then I lose some of my interest in him. Not that he can't play 1b in the majors one day, I'm just hoping Votto locks up that spot for the Reds the next 10 years.
    8) Joseph: minor league relievers are like the high school tease. Sure you see lots of potential every couple of days, but it takes a long time before you get past the small sample debate and have something to brag about. Donnie could make his debut as early as next year as an injury replacement.
    9) Cozart: I've liked this kid since I first saw him play live w/ the Dragons. Seems like the perfect fit for the Reds SS wows. Put him & Janish together and you should have a very solid, not to mention cost effective answer to the SS position for several seasons.
    10) Torreyes: Since I expect he'll only play half a season, its kind of hard to get too excited for his 2011 season (same could be said for Arias & Guillon if I the consensus was any of these 3 would start out in Dayton next year), yet how can you not get excited to see how someone with a slash line of amazing/amazing/amazing plays out against older, tougher competition in Billings.

1. Chapman
    2. Mez
    3. Alonso
    4. Grandal-
    5. Yorman
    6. Hamilton
    7. Sappelt-
    8. Cozart
    9. Joseph
    10. Francisco

Sappelt never gets mentioned, but all he does is hit and play good defense. He could turn into a true leadoff hitter.

1. Aroldis Chapman - 100+ mph fastball, filthy slider, two plus pitches + and the potential for another.

2. Devin Mesoraco - 1.007 OPS and 25 HR in 358 atbats between A+, AA, and AAA. Also throwing out over 40% of runners.

3. Yonder Alonso - Got off to a slow start, now OPSing up around 1.000 in his last 200+ atbats.

4. Yorman Rodriguez - Hitting .348 with an .830 OPS in Billings in his age 17 season. Significant upside.

5. Billy Hamilton - Very saw but toolsy SS is hitting .315 with an .816 OPS in Billings. Plus defensive tools at SS. 33 steals in 41 chances.

6. Yasmani Grandal - Solid power, good plate discipline. Polished bat could move quickly.

7. Zack Cozart - Good defensive shortstop with solid power and the ability to steal bases. (16 HR/29 SB this season).

8. Donnie Joseph - Lefty reliver has a ridiculous 1.62 ERA and 23 BB/101 K in 61 innings this season between A, A+, and AA. Could be in the Reds bullpen at some point during the 2011 season.

9. Juan Francisco - Has some of the best raw power in the minor leagues. If he ever improves his plate discipline he'll be a great major league hitter.

10. Ismael Guillon - 18-year-old lefty from Venezuela has a 73 strikeouts in 57 innings with the AZL Reds. Good velocity and a quality changeup.

Junior Arias narrowly missed my top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mine is quite a bit different from those posted so far. My top 5 is Chapman, Mesoraco, Alonso and Hamilton/Rodriguez (not sure just yet on where I am leaning on this one).
    I totally forgot about Hamilton, he would probably be in my top 5.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

-The Insider-

Dang, I totally forgot about Sapp. He'd be in my top ten for sure.

Turn Off Ads?