Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/22/13 - Reds vs. D-Backs

Re: 8/22/13 - Reds vs. D-Backs

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Latos 10x this season 3 or fewer ER with ND or L. That is on the high side.
    Some of that is his inability to go deep into the game, not just lack of run support. But run support is neither here nor there, given that his job is to give up as few runs as possible as long as possible.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Likes:

RadfordVA (08-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    This team has seemingly had a very high number of games in which they got a quality start that didn't result in a W for the starting pitcher. Anyone have access to that stat and where the Reds rank?
    Cubs are tied for third in quality starts in NL. i would guess their starters are more frustrated.

Some Reds guy needs to hit one out of the park today.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Some of that is his inability to go deep into the game, not just lack of run support. But run support is neither here nor there, given that his job is to give up as few runs as possible as long as possible.
    And he's done it really well.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Arizona is fighting for their playoff lives. They know they can't lose three of four to us and expect to reach the playoffs. REDS are fighting to stay in the hunt to win the Division.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    To the level headed folks who never seem to get worked up. Do you honestly not get frustrated at all seeing Trevor Cahill, who is clearly struggling, hold the Reds to 1 R and 3 H? I'm glad we have posters who always keep their cool it is much needed and I like to think I usually do well with that but a game like this is pretty frustrating for me.
    The Reds just scored 10 runs last night. I'm not sure how you would be frustrated with something you've seen all season. They're a really strong pitching team and an up and down offensive team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cubs are tied for third in quality starts in NL. i would guess their starters are more frustrated.
    Cubs aren't your measuring stick.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

To the level headed folks who never seem to get worked up. Do you honestly not get frustrated at all seeing Trevor Cahill, who is clearly struggling, hold the Reds to 1 R and 3 H? I'm glad we have posters who always keep their cool it is much needed and I like to think I usually do well with that but a game like this is pretty frustrating for me.
    I try to limit my angst to things that the Reds control. Most of the issues that are brought up are not performance related, or effort related, but are just the game being played in a competitive environment. So I chill and enjoy the game.

For example, Thom just called this a good game, but he's been whining incessantly about the Reds inability to score when they had opportunities. Yet Latos does a good job getting out of jams.

This Cahill performance reminds me of our back of rotation guys--sometimes the other team just doesn't get the big hit. That's the story today. And now they can't get anything going.

Can't believe Cahill went seven innings. Way too may swings early in tne count on pitchers pitches in the middle innings.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

klw (08-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Votto thought the pitcher was asleep. So he took a risk. It failed.

Frankly, I can't blame him for trying to make something happen. This is just another display of the offensive shortcomings of this team.

World Champions destroy guys like this pitcher Cahill. Just an unacceptable game on offense for the Reds.
    And the irony in that situation is that Votto ended up being the one that looked asleep and took the team out of any further offensive potential that half inning. Certain dont mind the aggressive idea, but the execution was clearly absent.
    Last edited by RedsBrick; 08-22-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    He's clearly the best offensively, but he's not even close to being the best on the team in any other area. He's my boy, but lets be honest here.
    Darn him for not being the best offensive, defense, baserunning, and pitching player on the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Individual moments in the game (like Votto attempting to steal, or the GODP by Cozart there) can be frustrating, but I know that Arizona is fighting for their playoff lives here. I expect nothing but the best from them today, and we seem to be getting it from their pitcher. He's been wild, true, but he also hasn't been giving up the hits. There's a ground-rule double by Bruce, and that's about it.

Fortunately, Latos is pitching like it's a playoff game, also. Two innings left. Should be exciting.

I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher turn it around to the extent Cahill has today. 7IP 4 hits 1 run...who here would have thought that possible in the third?

Like I said, Cahill struggled with his command but not his movement, so I'm not surprised he's been tough to hit. The problem is the Reds are content to hack at crap today.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    And he's done it really well.
    Today.

Turn Off Ads?