Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Nats are Irrelevant

The Nats are Irrelevant

I like to think I'm a realist. Not a cheerleader and not a bridge jumper. I guess many of us self-identify that way.

Over the past couple of weeks, as the Washington Nationals peeled off 7 wins in a row to suddenly become "the hottest team in baseball" according to MLB TV, ESPN and most national media, I've been banging every drum here possible to assure you any concerns about a DC threat to our flank were well overblown.

I know the team well. Go to a bunch of games and follow them as closely as I do the Reds since the Nats are local for me.

They have been, and will finish the year as not just one of the four biggest busts in the game (with Toronto, SF and the Angels) but also as the leading contender for "most mediocre."

They've played .500 ball every month this year. Until this just-ended 7-game streak, they'd never strung together more than 5 wins all year. Most of all though, beyond all the abominable first-half offensive stats and horrible D, the team has had a huge attitude, leadership and chemistry problems. That stuff matters intensely but isn't as quantifiable as all the on-field metrics.

They lost 5-4 tonight to the Phillies. And, they did it in classic 2013 Nats fashion. The score shouldn't have even been that close were it not for a timely seeing-eye single by Harper. We were at the game.

The Nats represent NO threat to the Reds. They haven't and they won't. I've been posting that here for a few weeks but it keeps coming up so I figured, why not a thread on it?

We need to worry about beating the bad teams that seem to tie us in knots (Houston shortly). And, of course, we need to take at least 4 or so of the 6 remaining with Pittsburgh. That's to have a shot at the division title, which I'd really like to see us get. Of the 13 games we have remaining, I'm more worried about the 7 against the "bad" teams (MILx1, HOUx3, NYMx3) than I am about the half-dozen vs the "good" team (PIT).

I've been 200% confident for a month that we'd be in the post-season. I've had no confidence about what happens starting with October. Haven't a clue what we'd do in a one game WC playoff or in an LDS, especially after what happened last year.

But, as I've posted repeatedly on several threads here in August and September, the Nats are irrelevant. Really, they are. Maybe they'll beat Philly tomorrow to win that series. Maybe they won't. Then the Braves come into DC and they are not going to lie down at all still fighting for home-field advantage. They've totally dominated DC this year. Then STL. The D-Backs. The Nats, currently 10-3 for Sept, will be lucky to finish this month, and the year, above .500.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 09-15-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Nats are Irrelevant

You seem like you are trying to super reverse jinx for the Nats.

4. Likes:

OGB (09-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    You seem like you are trying to super reverse jinx for the Nats.
    Nope. I've been saying this since May when the team did some things, made some moves and neglected a few other things. That's when the die was cast.

Sometimes--not often or even usually--you just have total conviction about something. That was and is me about the 2013 squad here. Sad but a still-denied reality here in DC.

I just hated to read so many great Reds fans worrying about Washington here on RZ. Actually pained me some because I knew it was misplaced. Think I even lost some sleep over it. Hopefully that's now all past. And, hopefully, we can beat the frickin' bad teams we'll be playing (HOU and NYM) and do well with Pittsburgh and maybe make a play for the Central crown. I'll be headed to Pittsburgh next weekend just to make sure. :-)

I dont think Nate is irrelevant at all.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

7. Likes:

Raisor (09-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I dont think Nate is irrelevant at all.
    Guessing I probably agree. Depending on which Nate you mean.

I'll admit when the Nats got to 4.5 games behind us I was very, very slightly concerned but with our win and their loss today I see no way that they can catch us. 5.5 out with 13 to go? It's over.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

10. Likes:

Ben from Cincy (09-15-2013)

They won 7 in a row to get to the point of 4.5 back. Logic told me they would pretty much have to win out, including the 7 in a row, to make up the ground. Not gonna happen.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Not buying it. Until they're officially eliminated, I'll worry about them, or whoever is lurking within striking distance. But, that's just me: Not overconfident, cautiously optimistic, frustrated by the losses, and wishing the Reds would run off a string of victories....again.

The likelihood is that the Cards or Pirates will win the division; the loser of those two hosts the wild card; the Reds are the road wild card; the Nats lose out.

It's the likelihood, not a certainty.

Any of these spots could change. Probably won't, but could.

Hoping the Nats are extremely relevant when they play St. Louis. They're not catching the Reds but hope they still have an impact on the remaining season.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Not buying it. Until they're officially eliminated, I'll worry about them, or whoever is lurking within striking distance. But, that's just me: Not overconfident, cautiously optimistic, frustrated by the losses, and wishing the Reds would run off a string of victories....again.
    I'm with you. They're a threat until they're no longer a threat. There were quite a few people on this board who kept claiming that the Pirates would fall off in the second half of the season. Obviously that didn't happen. I'm not convinced that the Nats are irrelevant just because of how they've played pre-September.

It's unlikely the Nats can make it happen, but it's not impossible.

Likely that the Nats are irrelevant now BUT - a 5 game winning streak by them and a 5 game losing streak by the Reds turns things topsy turvy fast. Not likely to happen. But not impossible either. I'll stop worrying when they are eliminated and at least a WC is clinched.

Nats still have a 3 game set at Atlanta and at St. Louis. Combine that with the Reds 3 games at the Astros and 3 games at home against the Mutts, and it would take a complete collapse by the Reds to blow this.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Nats still have a 3 game set at Atlanta and at St. Louis. Combine that with the Reds 3 games at the Astros and 3 games at home against the Mutts, and it would take a complete collapse by the Reds to blow this.
    I'm not going to bring up any painful memories, but complete collapses have happened.

It's unlikely for sure, but those who suggest that the Nats aren't a threat are deluding themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I'm not going to bring up any painful memories, but complete collapses have happened.

It's unlikely for sure, but those who suggest that the Nats aren't a threat are deluding themselves.
    And I continue to buy Powerball tickets. Maybe I'll win someday...or maybe not.

Turn Off Ads?