Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: 2011 Indianapolis Colts discussion

If he hasn't been a micro-manager all along, I wouldn't be too worried about it just because he's sticking his nose into the Manning/Luck scenario. This isn't basic roster stuff, these are enterprise-level decisions -- $28 million check to write or don't, sending the face of the franchise packing, bringing in a new face of the franchise, etc. -- and Irsay's in charge of the enterprise. Some things are too big to shrug and tell the GM, "whatever you want to do is fine with me."
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Manning has been cleared to play by 2 doctors...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75...ume-nfl-career

So much for the retirement rumors. I still think Irsay will keep him, but will probably try to move the option date back and/or will try to renegotiate his deal and offer him a more incentive laden contract.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

So much for the retirement rumors. I still think Irsay will keep him, but will probably try to move the option date back and/or will try to renegotiate his deal and offer him a more incentive laden contract.
    This is whats holding him back right now:

What remains in question is the timeline in which Manning's nerve regeneration to his triceps will improve to the point where he is throwing passes in the manner that helped him win four MVP awards during his 13-year career.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

This isn't news. Manning was cleared to resume football activities back in November. His neck is fine, the problem is the nerves. The nerves are sapping his arm strength.

Nice job, ESPN, for breaking this "exclusive" news.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    This isn't news. Manning was cleared to resume football activities back in November. His neck is fine, the problem is the nerves. The nerves are sapping his arm strength.

Nice job, ESPN, for breaking this "exclusive" news.
    I don't remember the doctors previously being on the record as clearing him, but maybe I just missed that.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I thought he had been cleared for "football activities" (throwing, lifting weights etc.) back then, but not to put on a helmet and get hit, which is what "cleared to play" means.

I also saw where Irsay said, "we haven't cleared him to play..."
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

It is all PR by Manning and Irsay to "win" public perception. Sure, Manning could take the field, but without his arm strength he would be a liability. The way it was worded came across like doctors were saying he was completely healed, which is not the case. This would be like saying I could take the field- no team would want that.

It is a shame that Manning and Irsay can't deal with this privately and both feel the need to "win" something that shouldn't be a battle but a partnership. I've always loved Manning but he is losing some of my respect in the way he is handling this situation. I'm not sure what he expects Irsay to do at this point.

It is all PR by Manning and Irsay to "win" public perception. Sure, Manning could take the field, but without his arm strength he would be a liability. The way it was worded came across like doctors were saying he was completely healed, which is not the case. This would be like saying I could take the field- no team would want that.

It is a shame that Manning and Irsay can't deal with this privately and both feel the need to "win" something that shouldn't be a battle but a partnership. I've always loved Manning but he is losing some of my respect in the way he is handling this situation. I'm not sure what he expects Irsay to do at this point.
    They sound like the dysfunctional family that used to reside in Cincinnati. Both need to shut up and keep quiet for a while. I don't know who is advising Manning but he is losing respect with his handling of this situation.

Manning is leaking this information because he wants to play. Obviously he would like to play in Indy but if he can't play in Indy he wants the other teams out there to know he can still bring it. If the Colts have a problem with that cut the guy loose instead of letting him turn and toss in the wind.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I don't understand why Manning or Irsay would be losing respect here. What's the big deal. I'm fine with both of them. Whether this is all just PR or not. Nothing major has been done by either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Dp
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I don't understand why Manning or Irsay would be losing respect here. What's the big deal. I'm fine with both of them. Whether this is all just PR or not. Nothing major has been done by either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, what exactly has Manning said that garners disrespect?

Keep in mind what is going on in Indy this week is the result of #18 as much as anyone. Had Ryan Leaf been picked instead of him the Colts would be in LA and the SB would be somewhere else. My point is even if Manning did say something we dislike I think all Colts fans need to give him a pass.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I agree, what exactly has Manning said that garners disrespect?
    Not disrespect, just less respect. IMO, he is acting like a spoiled child not used to not getting his way. And Irsay is just as bad, responding to all of Manning's blatant PR grabs.

Neither are taking the high road in this situation, and it seems Manning is the one initiating things. In Reds lingo, Manning is the Phillips shin-guard tap and Irsay is the Molena shove.

The Colts drafting Luck just makes sense. Manning cannot throw a football full strength yet, something of a requirement at his position. Even at full strength, Manning turns 36 next month. There have only been 3 QBs to win a Super Bowl at age 36 or later (John Elway, Jim Plunkett and Johnny Unitas- who was injured during that Super Bowl). Looking at the history of successful older QBs you can assume that, even completely healthy, Manning only has 3 years or so left, and the quality of his play in those seasons would most likely gradually decline.

Simply put, I don't think the Colts win a Super Bowl with Manning, as sad as that realization is.

Not disrespect, just less respect. IMO, he is acting like a spoiled child not used to not getting his way. .
    I kinda understand this but I look at it this way. Colts fans owe Manning the world. If not for him we likely have no franchise, so if he kinda spouts off a little bit that rubs us the wrong way so be it. IMO he has earned the right to spout off within reason.

Having said all that the Colts need to cut Manning, build a statue for him, put him on the Ring of Honor, name a street after him, give him a free meals for a lifetime at St. Elmo's and then draft Andrew Luck.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Not disrespect, just less respect. IMO, he is acting like a spoiled child not used to not getting his way. And Irsay is just as bad, responding to all of Manning's blatant PR grabs.

Neither are taking the high road in this situation, and it seems Manning is the one initiating things. In Reds lingo, Manning is the Phillips shin-guard tap and Irsay is the Molena shove.

The Colts drafting Luck just makes sense. Manning cannot throw a football full strength yet, something of a requirement at his position. Even at full strength, Manning turns 36 next month. There have only been 3 QBs to win a Super Bowl at age 36 or later (John Elway, Jim Plunkett and Johnny Unitas- who was injured during that Super Bowl). Looking at the history of successful older QBs you can assume that, even completely healthy, Manning only has 3 years or so left, and the quality of his play in those seasons would most likely gradually decline.

Simply put, I don't think the Colts win a Super Bowl with Manning, as sad as that realization is.
    What exactly has he said that makes him a spoiled child?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?