Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most powerful baseball memory from your childhood?

What is the most powerful baseball memory from your childhood?

It can be either a game that you watched or one that you participated in. Or both.

Reds related: My mom waking me up when I was 7 after the Reds recorded the final out in the 1990 WS to see the celebration on the field. I'm actually somewhat amazed that I remember that, but I do.

Participating: Playing catch with my dad in our back yard. Also: I was always a gap type of hitter when I played. But I hit ONE home run and I remember how perfect it felt and the PING that the bat made... such an awesome feeling. Too bad I only got to experience it once. On the other hand, at least I got to experience it one time.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: What is the most powerful baseball memory from your childhood?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It can be either a game that you watched or one that you participated in. Or both.

Reds related: My mom waking me up when I was 7 after the Reds recorded the final out in the 1990 WS to see the celebration on the field. I'm actually somewhat amazed that I remember that, but I do.

Participating: Playing catch with my dad in our back yard. Also: I was always a gap type of hitter when I played. But I hit ONE home run and I remember how perfect it felt and the PING that the bat made... such an awesome feeling. Too bad I only got to experience it once. On the other hand, at least I got to experience it one time.
    7 in 1990! I was graduating college!

Oy!

Mine is Pete Rose's hit streak. I remember the BRM in 75 and 76 but Rose's hit streak seemed to garner a lot more publicity. I remember when the streak, there was a video montage with Bob Seger's "Still The Same" playing as accompaniment.

Being in the stadium to see Johnny Bench hit a home run on Johnny Bench night in 1983, then wanting to go to the 580 gift shop to buy the ball since you could buy home run balls there (I have one that Ron Oester hit and somebody got for me one time.)

Playing wise, I played center field one day and made a running catch and when I came in after the inning the other team's coach - who happened to be my elementary school principal- asking me how I could do such a thing against his team as he had a big, friendly smile on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    7 in 1990! I was graduating college!

Oy!

Mine is Pete Rose's hit streak. I remember the BRM in 75 and 76 but Rose's hit streak seemed to garner a lot more publicity. I remember when the streak, there was a video montage with Bob Seger's "Still The Same" playing as accompaniment.
    Haha! Well, The Clogger was still wearing diapers! :

Great stories so far.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Being in the stadium to see Johnny Bench hit a home run on Johnny Bench night in 1983, then wanting to go to the 580 gift shop to buy the ball since you could buy home run balls there (I have one that Ron Oester hit and somebody got for me one time.)

Playing wise, I played center field one day and made a running catch and when I came in after the inning the other team's coach - who happened to be my elementary school principal- asking me how I could do such a thing against his team as he had a big, friendly smile on his face.
    I marched in the baseball bunch parade for that game.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It's kinda sad, I don't really have any great memories of the Reds from my childhood.

I guess it would be the Reds trading for KGJ...

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It's kinda sad, I don't really have any great memories of the Reds from my childhood.

There's always this year!

See what I did there?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    There's always this year!

See what I did there?

First year of t-ball. I was playing SS and a line drive was hit over my head. I closed my eyes, jumped, and snagged it. It was all downhill from there... but what a great play!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I remember going to a Reds game for my 6th birthday party and correcting my friends. The Reds didn't score points, they scored runs. It helped me understand at an early age that the vast majority of people I would discuss baseball with were idiots.

Until I found this place that is.

Now its only 60/40.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I learned how to tell "left" from "right" when I was young from knowing LF and RF.

My most powerful early memory was how green the grass was at Crosley Field (under the lights) and the first time I ever saw the legendary Willie Mays live and in person. It was probably 1968 or 1969. My dad and grandpa were huge Willie Mays fans back in the day.
    sorry we're boring

As a youngster, the Big Red Machine. I wish I had been old enough to truly appreciate it - but I did love that team in my young fandom.
    In my teen years, 4192.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

That was actually going to be my answer when I saw the thread title. I was born in 90 so I didn't get to witness the World Series.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    That was actually going to be my answer when I saw the thread title. I was born in 90 so I didn't get to witness the World Series.
    More whippersnappers!

Turn Off Ads?