Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Smith

Jordan Smith

In his last 5 games Smith has a WHIP of 2.15. He's given up 8 hits (including 2 HR's) and 2 walks in his last 4 2/3 innings.

Is he potentially the odd man out for the playoffs? Will Chapman take his spot? Or will it be Bray?

What's your prediction and what's your opinion?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Jordan Smith

I think Chapman will take Bray's spot, but Springer, Izzy or Fisher could battle for Smith's spot. Personally I think it will be Chapman and Leake in the pen (you only need four starters in the post-season).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

That spot may go to Harang.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I think Chapman will take Bray's spot, but Springer, Izzy or Fisher could battle for Smith's spot. Personally I think it will be Chapman and Leake in the pen (you only need four starters in the post-season).
    I couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I really hope both Bray and Chapman make the postseason roster. Despite having 3 lefties, they really fit different roles. Bray can be a LOOGY to get us out of big spots in the 6th/7th and Chapman will hopefully be someone who can come in and blow people away for an inning or 2 when needed. Rhodes is the 8th inning guy or to get out of big jams.

Plus, if you look at potential opponents, we're going to need plenty of options to get good lefties like AGonz, Howard, Utley, Heyward out. Even guys like Huff and Sandoval from SF, I would like to be able to throw a lefty at without burning Rhodes/Chapman too early or too often.

Here's my post season pen:

Cordero
    Rhodes
    Masset
    Chapman
    Ondrusek
    Bray
    Leake

I'd love to see Harang get the chance at post season play, but can't see where to fit him in barring injury to someone.

relievers have bad periods. Id let it go more than 5 games before I worry too much. He is a ground ball guy might be a little tired so the balls are floating up in the zone. Too early to toss him out.

Can someone explain to me postseason rosters? I was under the impression that unless a player was on the disabled list or a player replaced a guy going on the disabled list, they had to be on the active roster by Aug. 31 to play in the postseason.

So how is Chapman on the postseason roster if he isn't up until the call-ups?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Can someone explain to me postseason rosters? I was under the impression that unless a player was on the disabled list or a player replaced a guy going on the disabled list, they had to be on the active roster by Aug. 31 to play in the postseason.

The official move is made August 31 after a game? He doesn't arrive until day of September 1?

Chapman can be on the roster because they have players on the 60 man DL. They are allowed to use an exemption or something.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    relievers have bad periods. Id let it go more than 5 games before I worry too much. He is a ground ball guy might be a little tired so the balls are floating up in the zone. Too early to toss him out.
    He had a an ERA over 5 in AA (38 total appearances).

I personally think his first 20 games were more of an aberration. Guys with ERA's in over 5 in AA don't normally show up in the majors and have an ERA under 3 for any extended period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post

This link explains it pretty well: http://www.detroittigersweblog.com/2...ibility-rules/

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    He had a an ERA over 5 in AA (38 total appearances).

I personally think his first 20 games were more of an aberration. Guys with ERA's in over 5 in AA don't normally show up in the majors and have an ERA under 3 for any extended period of time.
    The ERA over 5 might be the real aberration. I remember I was with pretty much everyone else when he was called up with those numbers. It was like, "Why call him up?". But from what I understand/can vaguely remember, there was a bit of an explanation, as he had a bit of a rough transition converting from a starter to a reliever. I believe he may have also had a problem with one of his pitches that he's either junked or since fixed. I don't remember all of it, and I could be dead wrong. But I do remember the Reds broadcast crew saying he'd been pitching much better than that 5.00 plus ERA of late in Double AA when they called him up.

Really, just looking at the kind of stuff he has, I don't know how he could have put together an ERA over 5.00 at Double A unless he simply couldn't locate, which probably would have been something in his mechanics, or that there were other circumstances effecting things. But we'll find out, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    The ERA over 5 might be the real aberration. I remember I was with pretty much everyone else when he was called up with those numbers. It was like, "Why call him up?". But from what I understand/can vaguely remember, there was a bit of an explanation, as he had a bit of a rough transition converting from a starter to a reliever. I believe he may have also had a problem with one of his pitches that he's either junked or since fixed. I don't remember all of it, and I could be dead wrong. But I do remember the Reds broadcast crew saying he'd been pitching much better than that 5.00 plus ERA of late in Double AA when they called him up.

Really, just looking at the kind of stuff he has, I don't know how he could have put together an ERA over 5.00 at Double A unless he simply couldn't locate, which probably would have been something in his mechanics, or that there were other circumstances effecting things. But we'll find out, I guess.
    I do take back one thing, his ERA in AA was 4.42 overall in 51 games.

Even then, he gave up 187 hits in 157 innings. There is really nothing in the minors that projects to him being a sub 3 ERA guy in the majors. He may develop into a decent bullpen guy, but everything points to him staying above 3 (meaning his recent stretch should have been expected) or maybe worse.

There's 41 games left to be played and Jordan Smith will be on the team for all 41 of them.

Turn Off Ads?