Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random thought on Chapman

Random thought on Chapman

So many are talking about Chap going into the starting rotation and pointing out that we may have some SP to trade.

What about this. It is a deal on his innings and we certainly don't want to be stuck with a Stasburg. This is one instance I would be ok with a 6 man rotation. Even if someone goes down a short while just go to 5 and when everyone healthy go to 6. It's just a thought, but I like the idea of Chapman starting, but he won't throw 200 innings. Limit his pitch count to say 80. If he goes 4 innings so be it or if he goes 7 innings then great. It's not about the innings it's about how many pitches.

If the situtaion dictates a tight race in Sept. and say one of the starters is sucking then skip them. It's all flexible. If there is one things I've learned in baseball is that you don't have to win every game to make the playoffs. It's very important how you are playing going into the playoffs, and pitching wins championships.

What I like about the idea is that you have much flexibility and can use off days and manage around it. I would pitch chapman 5th and put Leake 6th so if you had a problem with Chap going out in the 2nd or 3rd you have a starter right behind him to go into the 7th. Then you are back in to your regular rotation.

Just a random thought I would be interested to seeing what folks thought.

Go Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Random thought on Chapman

What I'd like to see them do is use Leake more as a proper swing man, almost piggy-backing with Chapman to help him keep his innings/pitches down. Imagine you face Chapman the first two times through the order and then you face Leake the next time before getting handed off to Marshall, et. al.

That would keep everybody on a normal rotation (I don't want to take starts away from Cueto and Latos), ease Chapman in and take advantage of Leake's ability to hit in a long relief role.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post

Just a random thought I would be interested to seeing what folks thought.

Go Reds.
    Actually I did not find your thought to be random at all. I was thinking it would be something along the lines of "Chapman has long arms."
    Last edited by klw; 11-29-2012 at 04:37 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The 6 man rotation has been bantered around here for awhile now.

I'm fine either way. But I do think it would be a good way to preserve some arms. And with this group of stud starters, rarely would you need to go to a long reliever, which is what the 7th bullpen guy is, and could be the 6th starter.

A thought from Will Carroll I agree with whole-heartedly:

Will Carroll
    Aroldis Chapman should not have an innings limit. He should have a fatigue limit.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    A thought from Will Carroll I agree with whole-heartedly:
    Is Will Carroll related to Ron Burgundy?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

What I'd like to see them do is use Leake more as a proper swing man, almost piggy-backing with Chapman to help him keep his innings/pitches down. Imagine you face Chapman the first two times through the order and then you face Leake the next time before getting handed off to Marshall, et. al.

That would keep everybody on a normal rotation (I don't want to take starts away from Cueto and Latos), ease Chapman in and take advantage of Leake's ability to hit in a long relief role.

This is what I've wanted done all along. I don't see it happening though. Would be the perfect solution IMO.

There's been some discussion about this in another thread as well - I'm in favor as a way to keep innings down for all the starters, particularly Chapman and Cueto. I think there was a fatigue factor for Cueto at the end of the season.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...04#post2781004
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. If chap went long enough you could play with who starts next. Basically pitch the 5th spot with these two. Maybe a couple times you skip or back up starts from Curto, latos etc. just part of the management. Dusty is a good manager of pitching right

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    This is along the lines of what I was thinking. If chap went long enough you could play with who starts next. Basically pitch the 5th spot with these two. Maybe a couple times you skip or back up starts from Curto, latos etc. just part of the management. Dusty is a good manager of pitching right
    Crazily enough, Dusty has done a pretty good job handling the starters. Yeah, he lets his starters get in to trouble a bit much and he lacks creativity in the bullpen, but considering what many of us feared, he's been not bad.

Agreed, I don't think Dusty abuses pitchers quite so much as he sticks with them trying to get the starter the win as opposed to getting the team the win. Thats my beef with his style.

Don't like a six man rotation.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I agree. As the fifth starter getting 30 starts and limited to five innings, Chapman would get 150 innings. Leake could be on a similar rotation and getting two to three innings every five days.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I like the idea of this. It serves a number of purposes at once. Why not platoon the fifth starter spot in the same game until some one earns it outright.
    It keeps innings down and provided a big change of pace.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Chapman's agent might could look into getting him an endorsement with Chapstick.

Random.

I never understood the logic of innings limits. Shouldn't it be based on pitch count instead of innings? As you all know, some innings are not as stressful as others. Limiting it to innings doesn't tell us if Chapman had 5 pitches that inning or 30.

Turn Off Ads?