Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Rojos

Re: Los Rojos

I just read this whole thread for some reason and cannot understand what people are arguing with Randy about. He pretty clearly said over and over again that he just didn't like the jersey, and (while I don't want to put words in his mouth) it sounds like he wouldn't like any jersey that wasn't the traditional home/away jersey, whether it was in English, Spanish, Chinese or Klingon. Not that he needs me to defend him, but I think there were suggestions that his post was bigoted and they were over the line. (At first I thought people were conflating his posts with other, more political posts, but then the argument went on and on...)

On topic, I think the new jersey is great. I actually almost bought one at Reds Fest, but saved the $ to rebuy in the poker tournament, which turned out to be a good idea after George Foster almost took all my chips.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I just read this whole thread for some reason and cannot understand what people are arguing with Randy about.
    Let me draw your attention to the two posts that set me off.

From Randy:

The jersey is ugly and unnecessary in my opinion. Do they need a jersey so every group can feel good Where's it end???? It's baseball. Wear your uniform and play the game.
    From Vottomatic:

Geez. This is an English speaking country.

Please learn to read and speak the native language. This isn't Mexico.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Freedom of speech? Not for you, Randy! Unless you speak Spanish or some other non-English language. Funny how that works.
    Freedom of speech can include the right to tell people to shut up, can't it? I'm not necessarily saying anyone in here should shut up (well, not yet anyway), but it's ironic that you would criticize people for criticizing someone.

How long until this thread gets moved to the politics and religion forum?

I am kinda surprised the uproar this thread has caused.

As for the jersey I don't really care. I know a lot of franchises are going towards a Spanish jersey as a gimmick. IMO it does more for a team located in Arizona (I know the Suns were one of the firsts to do this) than it does in Cincy but if the ownership thinks that this will help reach the hispanic community in Cincinnati then go for it. I would do it on Cinco de Mayo and maybe another date but I would use it sparingly.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    How often do the Yankees change their uni's? I don't know. Seems like never. When you want to create a monoculture of fandom, you also hope it breeds loyalty and solidarity and familiarity and trust and pride, etc. I can see the advantage of never changing.
    My wife is a Yankees fan and owns a fair amount of Yankees apparel. Not one of those items is an official team jersey.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

So what is the purpose of creating a jersey with another language that a minority speak? Don't we honor Latino players by scouting and signing them? Do we need a jersey to show that the team REALLY, REALLY likes Hispanics?

Perhaps this thread should be moved to religion and politics. I'm confident that the jersey was created for political reasons.

Let's just play ball as the "Reds." That's the name of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    So what is the purpose of creating a jersey with another language that a minority speak? Don't we honor Latino players by scouting and signing them? Do we need a jersey to show that the team REALLY, REALLY likes Hispanics?

Perhaps this thread should be moved to religion and politics. I'm confident that the jersey was created for political reasons.

Let's just play ball as the "Reds." That's the name of the team.
    Aaaaaaaargh

“Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    So what is the purpose of creating a jersey with another language that a minority speak?
    To sell shirts and make easy money.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    How do people act so shocked when it's suggested that Cincinnati has a reputation as racist?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    To sell shirts and make easy money.
    You mean "Dinero"
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    How do people act so shocked when it's suggested that Cincinnati has a reputation as racist?
    How many people on this board are actually from Cincinnati?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I think the jerseys are ugly.

It looks like Walt Disney made the letters/signature for it.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Cincinnati: where change and all things different won't be accepted until long after everyone else was okay with it.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Because we have the Freedom center!
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?