Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 Questions with Scott Boras

Re: 20 Questions with Scott Boras

The players have been ridiculously underpaid for over a century, and even now, you could argue that they are still underpaid. When you pay to watch a game, would you rather the owners receive more of the money?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I've often wondered why it's so terrible for high-school kids to pass up college for the chance of make NBA money right away, but passing up college to play for barely-minimum-wage in the bus leagues is perfectly acceptable. Generally speaking, the baseball players have a smaller chance of making it and will make less money if they do.
    I wouldn't want to stop baseball from drafting high school kids. For some kids, it's legitimately their best chance to make something of themselves, even though the odds are against them. Not everyone can go to college. I'm not trying to be an elitist snob, it is just true.

Here's what I would change. If you are under 25, and have pro baseball experience, you are still eligible for a college scholarhsip. I think A division baseball was at least considering experimenting with this -- although not as generous. I think their plan was that your years in the pros counted against your years of eligiblity (eg. if you played minor leages for 2 years, you could scholarship for 2 more).

Plus, there's nothing stopping the kid from going to college after he washes out in the minors. Plenty of non-athletes go back to college in their 30's or 40's. IMO, just because a kid was drafted to MLB, doesn't mean that he should be taken care of. It's his choice. No one is forcing him to go on those long bus rides for low wages.

It would be nice if MLB gave more of its money to the minor leaguers, but apparently the union really doesn't care about them. In fact, I have heard established players get angry that first round draft picks get 7 figures. I guess they figure the draftees are stealling money from the MLB players.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

4. Likes:

George Anderson (09-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    But, for instance, the WS ideas. Someone understandable was cynical about the reasoning he gives for expanding the World Series back to nine games. Now I think what he has suggested could be a creative notion that could expand interest in the game. I'm not sure it's completely plausible with the season running nearly to November anymore, but how would that be to say two games will be played elsewhere and then play in the respective league champions' cities.

I doubt expanding the WS to 9 games is a good idea. People's attention spans are so shorter these days and you are asking them to add 2 games to the WS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The players have been ridiculously underpaid for over a century, and even now, you could argue that they are still underpaid. When you pay to watch a game, would you rather the owners receive more of the money?
    When you compare it with other entertainment performers, it's not out of line. In fact actors are probably a great example. Your top box office draws are going to make tens of millions of dollars, but if you look at the average wage of all actors, it's not much, because that includes everyone; SAG members who have bit roles in shows or movies, Equity members who play regional theaters, etc. It's a lot like MLB and their minor leaguers (and even independent leagues). We went to the Shakespear company last week (great show there now called Arms of the Man) and in the program it puts a mark by those who are members of Actors Equity (the union). It's quite a number of them. And folks will play there or the Ensemble or even the Playhouse. And you look at their bios and they've been doing stock theater all around the country, some films, some TV, etc. And then your blockbusters make $80M in one year (Will Smith, June 07 to June 08) and so on. And the movie makers aren't going broke with those type of movies.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    What is that percentage and how does it compare to other agents? How do we define "high profile"? The answer may have been disingenuous, but I sure don't know what the those numbers are, whether a greater percentage of his players have been suspected or proven to have taken PED's.
    Off the top of my head, here are some Boras clients:

Barry Bonds, Kevin Brown, Manny Ramirez, Eric Gagne, Rick Ankiel, Alex Rodriguez, Pudge Rodriguez, Ron Villone, Gary Sheffield

Each of those has been PED implicated or under heavy PED suspicion, one way or the other. And goes back years. There are probably others. But, certainly, Boras has had his share. And then some.

So, yeah, I do wonder about this agent's obligations to his players. Interestingly, so did NFL uber-agent Leigh Steinberg:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05092009...ras_168359.htm

"The obligation of an agent is to advance the welfare of his client," Steinberg told The Post yesterday. "And with welfare, the bottom line, is well being and health."

Ramirez's agent is Scott Boras, whose client list includes Alex Rodriguez and used to include Barry Bonds. So, in a nutshell, it has been a rough few months for Boras.

"The first offense is 50 games. The second offense is 100 games," Steinberg said of baseball's drug policy. "And the third offense is a lifetime ban! Those are serious consequences for a star player. In this case, where is the agent's obligation to safeguard against this?"
    Dunno. But it's a fair question to ask, and I would have been curious as to Boras' answer. Or is it cool because PEDs helped his clients to record contracts that he fed off like a remora? This interview was with Boras. I thought the third question particularly relevant.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-20-2009 at 03:08 PM.

The drafting of HS kids part made zero sense to me.

The NBA used to draft HS kids, because they were ready to start right away (LeBron, Kobe). That means they are ready for any college team. That isn't the case for MLB. The NFL doesn't because of physical maturity. But any player drafted by an MLB team goes to work in the minors. they are educated in their craft. Now, there is no standard that I know of for that education, but kids that report to the minors are working every day, and MOST of them, 90% or more of them aren't instant millionaires. A lot of them work second jobs during the season too.

Where baseball needs reform isn't in the domestic draft, aside from signing bonuses and stupid guaranteed major league contracts. No, it's international signings. I'm as thrilled as everyone else the headway the Reds have made into Latin America, but it's bad for the game. IMO there should be two drafts, 1 domestic, 1 international. Limit the international draft to 3-5 rounds and make international FA (any player not drafted) wait one year and one day from the draft date to sign. And cap the bonuses in both drafts. Force teams to comply by having them forfeit two draft picks, one from each draft in the round the break the cap/slot. Go over in the 2nd round, lose next year's second round pick in both drafts.

Anyone else care add detract to this idea?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Dunno. But it's a fair question to ask, and I would have been curious as to Boras' answer. Or is it cool because PEDs helped his clients to record contracts that he fed off like a remora? This interview was with Boras. I thought the third question particularly relevant.
    I agree. I think an appropriate question to ask Boras is "Have you ever encouraged or explained the benefits of PED's to your clients." It would put him on the spot and most likely his answer would be no. IMO he would be lying through his teeth. Players treat their agent like their parent. The refer most decisions to their agents.

But at the same time I get sick and tired of hearing the PED question asked. When asked people lie, commit purgery, forget how to speak English, apologize for nothing, etc. Ask the question but unless a truthful answer is given don't print the question.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Thanks for sharing Steinberg's POV. Yes, it is a fair question and I agree that he dodged the question. I just can't say how he ranks with other agents and how that stacks up with the percentage of big time stars he has versus the others.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Road beef
    That was a very big saying for me and my teammates when I was in college. I didn't realize that it had such popularity on the left coast. It still makes me laugh a little on the inside because of the stories that it brings to mind.

While I'm no Boras fan (and he just added himself to the list of People I'll Never Date), I don't know that it is fair to ask him about PEDs in relation to his clients. I see an agent kind of as a defense attorney. His job is to represent them and get them the best deal he possibly can and make sure their careers are advance as much as possible in any given market. Stuff that could hamper that? Don't ask, don't tell, unless he knows they're signing a contract they can't uphold. He's not there to inject judgment into their choices or give them advice on how they play the game. Saying anything against them -- unless it's specific questioning by, say, authorities -- blatantly subverts his responsibility toward them and is kind of ethically wrong in my opinion. It's not going to stop reporters asking, but he shouldn't answer. I think his response accurately reflected that.

And the fact that he's had clients known to take PEDs is totally circumstantial at this point. The two are not related as far as we know. I'm not convinced anymore that the whole of baseball didn't take them anyway -- he just happens to have the best-known clients who are rife for witch hunting and publicity.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 05-20-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Where baseball needs reform isn't in the domestic draft, aside from signing bonuses and stupid guaranteed major league contracts. No, it's international signings. I'm as thrilled as everyone else the headway the Reds have made into Latin America, but it's bad for the game. IMO there should be two drafts, 1 domestic, 1 international. Limit the international draft to 3-5 rounds and make international FA (any player not drafted) wait one year and one day from the draft date to sign. And cap the bonuses in both drafts. Force teams to comply by having them forfeit two draft picks, one from each draft in the round the break the cap/slot. Go over in the 2nd round, lose next year's second round pick in both drafts.

Anyone else care add detract to this idea?
    Why make teams wait a year and a day after they draft their international pick? I don't see the logic here. Look at a guy like Ceuto. If the Reds were forced to wait a year before bringing him to the minors, that stunts his growth. Also, he'd likely continue to throw unsupervised (or illegally supervised).

What would you do with kids that are in camps like the Reds have? Let them stay or throw them out for a year?

I do think MLB should work a deal with the union where all draft picks are slotted bonuses. I also think that since the draft would then have a fixed cost, that MLB should fund the signing of all draft picks from it's common pool of money. This would help small market teams tremendously. They would no longer make draft picks based on financial reasons. No reason to not take the best player available if the league is picking up the tab.

Of course, sadly, the owners really aren't interested in bringing competitive balance to the sport.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Why make teams wait a year and a day after they draft their international pick? I don't see the logic here. Look at a guy like Ceuto. If the Reds were forced to wait a year before bringing him to the minors, that stunts his growth. Also, he'd likely continue to throw unsupervised (or illegally supervised).

What would you do with kids that are in camps like the Reds have? Let them stay or throw them out for a year?

I do think MLB should work a deal with the union where all draft picks are slotted bonuses. I also think that since the draft would then have a fixed cost, that MLB should fund the signing of all draft picks from it's common pool of money. This would help small market teams tremendously. They would no longer make draft picks based on financial reasons. No reason to not take the best player available if the league is picking up the tab.

Of course, sadly, the owners really aren't interested in bringing competitive balance to the sport.
    You misunderstood. a year and a day if a player declared for the draft and was not drafted. If a player is drafted but does not sign he is automatically declared for the next year's draft. Plus make it so all internation players have to declare for the draft. Use a combined ranking system, BA, BP and MLB to ensure teams aren't deliberately not drafting int'l players.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Since I mentioned a Boras interview in a current thread, I did find this thread from a Playboy interview (someone has quoted the text, so no need to worry about RZ filters). This isn't the interview I mentioned because I mention two earlier interviews in this thread. I'll see what I can find. But there was some interesting conversation in this one from back in '09.

The Baseball Bookstore

Turn Off Ads?