Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince Fielder seeks $200M/8 years for new contract

Re: Prince Fielder seeks $200M/8 years for new contract

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Ordinarily this would make sense, but Pujols is an upgrade over any of these guys--and I think any of the clubs would find some way to play one of the big 3.
    Correct. But the fact that these teams could pass on all these guys and be just fine means the players will have much less leverage.

The only reason why Tex and CC got such big contracts was because the Yankees needed them, and needed them badly.

Getting Pujols would be nice for any of these teams, but they all can win the World Series without him.

And that's just Pujols. Howard and Fielder are not a "value" upgrade for any of these teams. The teams can fill their rolls with players who provide much better value per dollar than Howard and Fielder can.

I'm just saying it's going to be interesting. I think these players will have to settle for a lot less than they are anticipating.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Plus Gonzalez.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Is Tex not at first base?
    Forgot about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Forgot about him.
    I wasn't sure if they were DHing him or what when you said that

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If I paid Fielder that kind of money, I'd be worried that he'll eat his way out of baseball. And I'm only half-kidding when I say that.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If I paid Fielder that kind of money, I'd be worried that he'll eat his way out of baseball. And I'm only half-kidding when I say that.
    Dude can run for a guy that size. Not as fast as Stubbs but he's not slow.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

A couple interesting things about these firstbasemen:

Prince Fielder is 25 years old, and turns 26 in May. He is listed at Height: 5' 11", Weight: 270 lb.

Albert Pujols is 30 years old, and is listed at Height: 6' 3", Weight: 230 lb.

Mark Texeira is also 30 years old, and is listed at Height: 6' 3", Weight: 220 lb.

So while Fielder is still quite a bit younger, he is four inches shorter, and carrying around 40 to 50 pounds more weight than the other two. I think age and health are huge when you are talking a long term contract. I wouldn't sign him for more than five years/$75 million.

Luckily, I get him for much cheaper on my fantasy team
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Oh yeah! I want Castellini to bet $200M that that butt won't get any bigger over the next 8yrs. Get right on it Walt!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    NY has Tex, Sox have Youk. Angels have Morales, and have him cheap. Dodgers have Looney, and have him cheap. Mets are really the only team needing an upgrade at 1B that can afford these guys.
    Lowell (like he matters) will be gone after this year and Beltre has a pretty inexpensive buyout for 2011. And Youk has played 3rd before. Although if the Sox pick up anyone I still think Adrian Gonzalez is the most likely target.

Normally the Mets would make sense but can they really afford a real BIG contract? I didn't think they were in the best shape financially.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Ordinarily this would make sense, but Pujols is an upgrade over any of these guys--and I think any of the clubs would find some way to play one of the big 3.
    Not to mention the Sox could easily move Youk back to third.

Pena and Lee are up after this season, though, too.

You know, if I was Ryan Howard, I'd be ready to settle this with the Phillies now for just a bit more than top DH-type money, because he looks like the one most likely to get left out in the cold.
    Last edited by blumj; 04-13-2010 at 07:39 AM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

If it were strictly for DH I would take Fielder over Howard. I think Fielder is a better overall hitter.

Ever since Fielder made his MLB debut I thought there would be some serious weight issues. Guy is only 25 and is carrying around a ton of weight. That will catch up with him at some point.

The FA 1B market is about to get saturated. Pena, Gonzales, Fielder, Howard, and Pujols will all be FA within the next 2 years. With the Yankees and Red Sox set at 1b for the distant future I think these 1b will find some contractual issues. Pujols will get paid and probably stay in StL. Gonzales may get traded but I can see him staying in SD for an extended period of time. Guy is a native of San Diego and hasn't shown any desire to leave. I think Pena gets traded this season and Fielder may get traded as well. Boras is floating this contract now for a reason.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    NY has Tex, Sox have Youk. Angels have Morales, and have him cheap. Dodgers have Looney, and have him cheap. Mets are really the only team needing an upgrade at 1B that can afford these guys.
    Atlanta Braves is the team that comes to my mind when I think around the league who might be seeking Prince to go in the middle of the order with Heyward for years to come. Mix in a RH bat with some pop and you've got a pretty formidable lineup on those three alone.
    Last edited by Ghosts of 1990; 04-14-2010 at 12:43 PM.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

If he has another couple seasons like the last few, then I would pay him more than any first baseman in baseball other than Pujols (even more than Howard). I'm not sure what the market will be like at that time, but here's hoping we'll be in a better baseball and world economy by then. He'll be 27 on opening day of his free agent year (2012) while Howard and Pujols will be 32.

I'm not saying I'd give him an 8 year contract, given his weight issues, but let's remember that a lot of teams had concerns about drafting him because of his weight issues. After all the handwringing, the team who drafted him has had a resurgence in attendance and has made the playoffs, the team that drafted Chris Gruler had had lousy attendance and has not made the playoffs.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Dude can run for a guy that size. Not as fast as Stubbs but he's not slow.
    He's not quick. He's Bisquick.

Turn Off Ads?