Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lohse or free agent?

Lohse or free agent?

The Reds could let Lohse go, sign a free agent pitcher to be a #3 and use Milton/EZ as the 4th/5th starters. However I think Lilly & Padilla & similar pitchers could be seriously overpaid this winter ( ie 3 years at $8-10 million a year ).

If the Reds use Lohse ( at $4-5 million for one year ) as their #3 starter it could have advantages:

1. there is no guarantee that any of the 2nd tier free agent pitchers mentioned as a potential #3 will be any better than Lohse

2. the Reds could use 2007 as a transition year and see if Bailey is ready and see which is the real EZ ( early 2006 version or late 2006 version )

3. at the end of 2007 Milton's contract is up and we will have money to spend on a better free agent pitcher for 2008+ . ie if we give someone like Ted Lilly $30 million over 3 years now we won't have money to spend ona real #1 next offseason

- Will

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lohse or free agent?

The problem with Lohse is that somehow he'll HAVE to make at least 3.5 million or so next season.

That's when I stop being interested. What a monumental waste of resources. Moves like signing guys like Lohse nickel-and-dime this franchise into inconsequentiality.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The problem with Lohse is that somehow he'll HAVE to make at least 3.5 million or so next season.

That's when I stop being interested. What a monumental waste of resources. Moves like signing guys like Lohse nickel-and-dime this franchise into inconsequentiality.
    Gotta agree on this one. I was in favor of keeping him earlier, but there are lots of 4 & 5 candidates. This money is needed for the top part of the staff.

Lohse can still be traded. He might make a good guy to put in a deal. Teams with money are looking for starters and for those teams his contract is no big deal. He could be a good guy in a package.

If trading him fails, then non-tender.

I agree. I wouldn't pay $3-4MM for Lohse. He's just too mediocre and inconsistent for that.

Personally, I'd like to go ahead and start Bailey next season. If you look at the great pitchers out there, with a few exceptions they struggle their first year in the majors. I'd just as soon get him up here, let him learn as the #5 starter in 2007 and then hope he's the ace we expect in 2008. Otherwise, I think he'll spend 2007 in AAA, struggle in 2008 in the majors and we're waiting until 2009 for him to be good. Limit him to six innings or 100 pitchers per outing in 2007, hope he has an ERA of 5.00 or less and save the $4MM we'd end up paying Lohse.

Lohse as closer? If so, $3.5 million (or so) is a bargain.

Kills two potential birds in one fell swoop.

My view is Krivsky can keep Lohse if he gets rid of Milton and finds someone to join Harang and Arroyo in front of Lohse. What I don't want any part of is Lohse and Milton being the team's nominal #3 and #4 starters at the start of the 2007 season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Lohse as closer? If so, $3.5 million (or so) is a bargain.

Kills two potential birds in one fell swoop.
    My thinking exactly! If he can be effective for one or two innings, there's no question that Lohse has the best "stuff" on this pitching staff.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If Kyle Lohse is in the Reds rotation in 2007 then expect another long year.

If he was their closer - ahhhhhhh, I see Danny Graves, part deux. Implosions galore.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My view is Krivsky can keep Lohse if he gets rid of Milton and finds someone to join Harang and Arroyo in front of Lohse. What I don't want any part of is Lohse and Milton being the team's nominal #3 and #4 starters at the start of the 2007 season.
    I don't really want them as the #4 and #5 either. I'd really prefer that one of those two is not part of the staff at all in 2007. Best case scenario is that neither of them is on the staff next year but I'm sure we are stuck with at least one of them. Lohse as the closer? Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Best case scenario is that neither of them is on the staff next year but I'm sure we are stuck with at least one of them.
    That's my basic take too. Both is the scenario that the Reds must avoid.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I agree with the idea that if we can get rid of milton then signing lohse might be a good idea. He does have very good stuff and if someone could work with him he might turn into a very solid pitcher. Hes still pretty young as well. If we signed him to a one year deal I would be fine with that as well. Then we would have a year to see what hes going to give us and then we could try to sign a top pitcher next offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's my basic take too. Both is the scenario that the Reds must avoid.
    That said, I won't be surprised if both are here next year.

Turn Off Ads?