Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, Petco hurts OBP because non-homer runs cause BABIP to change, which changes average, which changes OBP.

And when I said he is a .300/.400/.500 guy, I meant more so in his prime than right this second.
    Ok I apolgize for misreading.. In his prime, he might hit better.
    Still, I think Alonso potential upside is a 20 HR guy, even in the GAB, so it's not like that many potential HRs are being turned into outs.
    In other words, in the limited time I saw Alonso, he was not a Ludwick-like hitter.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Ok I apolgize for misreading.. In his prime, he might hit better.
    Still, I think Alonso potential upside is a 20 HR guy, even in the GAB, so it's not like that many potential HRs are being turned into outs.
    In other words, in the limited time I saw Alonso, he was not a Ludwick-like hitter.
    See, I guess that is part of the difference. I think in a park like GABP, Alonso is a 25-30 HR guy with 35-40 doubles. Basically, he Sean Casey in his prime.

See, I guess that is part of the difference. I think in a park like GABP, Alonso is a 25-30 HR guy with 35-40 doubles. Basically, he Sean Casey in his prime.
    You may be right..
    You've certainly watched him more than me.
    I Guess time will tell
    I'm still thrilled we made the trade, and we didn't move Joey to LF.
    (Not saying you disagree, just happy they were able to keep Joey over Alonso)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Renaldo Torreyes made the Baseball America Hot Prospect Sheet today. They emphasized his excellent ability to make contact. Good for him.

Not that it will come to pass, but I don't think there's a chance in Hades that Alonso could put up those numbers. His numbers outside of Petco are just as bad as those while playing at home. A .264/ .323/ .388/ .711 line away from home is really bad, IMO, for a 1B with a poor glove and absolutely no speed.

Of 1B/ DH with at least 250 ABs, Alonso's WAR(0.7) is tied with Chris Davis for 19th.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 08-03-2012 at 07:02 PM.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Basically, he hopes to be Sean Casey in his prime.

That remains to be seen. Right now, he reminds me of Dan Driessen, without the defense.

But like all Lost Boys raised in the Reds system, and then swapped away, I'll always root for him and hope for the best.

I have very little beyond just a feeling that I get, but Alonso has always struck me as Daric Barton without the defense. Good OBP skills but just doesn't possess the power that is traditionally associated with the 1B position. Again, just what my gut tells me.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Not that it will come to pass, but I don't think there's a chance in Hades that Alonso could put up those numbers. His numbers outside of Petco are just as bad as those while playing at home. A .264/ .323/ .388/ .711 line away from home is really bad, IMO, for a 1B with a poor glove and absolutely no speed.

Of 1B/ DH with at least 250 ABs, Alonso's WAR(0.7) is tied with Chris Davis for 19th.
    A minor point, but fangraphs has his defense so far this year as a small tick above average. He very well may end up being at least an average defender.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    That remains to be seen. Right now, he reminds me of Dan Driessen, without the defense.
    And the speed. Driessen was exceptionally fast, vs, extermely slow.

Caught a glimpse of EdE today playing first. As he was botching a semi tough pop fly in foul territory, I noticed that he appeared to be much bigger than he was in Cincy. Especially in the legs. Has anyone noticed the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Caught a glimpse of EdE today playing first. As he was botching a semi tough pop fly in foul territory, I noticed that he appeared to be much bigger than he was in Cincy. Especially in the legs. Has anyone noticed the same thing?
    Blew a play last night too on a throw to 2nd, he's not a player in the field

Jim Callis answered a Cubs fan question about Torreyes this morning:

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA

No. Undersized 2B with just one potential plus tool (bat). @davidrelliott: Do you see Torreyes in #Cubs top 10?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I haven't noticed, but wouldn't be suprised in the least. Many people add girth around the 28-32 age range.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Jim Callis answered a Cubs fan question about Torreyes this morning:

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA

No. Undersized 2B with just one potential plus tool (bat). @davidrelliott: Do you see Torreyes in #Cubs top 10?
    I thought he was a plus defensive 2nd baseman...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    I thought he was a plus defensive 2nd baseman...
    More of a good defensive second baseman. Very sure hands. Solid, but not outstanding range.

Turn Off Ads?