Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jackie Robinson

Jackie Robinson

after honoring his legacy over the past week I have really been humbled by what an incredible feat he performed. He was carrying the burden for an entire people and he was hounded by many wishing his failure. He didn't just triumph, but did it magnificently. He avoided an ugly incident and had a HOF career. I wonder if the huge burden he carried contributed to his health problems and untimely death at an early age. He carried the dual burden of attempting to succeed on the field while not responding to the insults and taunts he was subjected to. I think most would have wilted under the pressure, thankfully he did not.

Kudos to one of the great Americans of the 20th century.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jackie Robinson

Jackie Robinson's feat actually helped integrate all sports, not just baseball, including college sports. He was the perfect guy for it. For instance Barry Bonds nor Ken Griffey Jr could have been Jackie Robinson. They would have gotten into fights, pouted etc. And this wasn't affirmative action either. This guy earned his promotion with his baseball talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Jackie Robinson's feat actually helped integrate all sports, not just baseball, including college sports. He was the perfect guy for it. For instance Barry Bonds nor Ken Griffey Jr could have been Jackie Robinson. They would have gotten into fights, pouted etc. And this wasn't affirmative action either. This guy earned his promotion with his baseball talent.
    As baseball-centric as I can be at times, I still think that the number 42 should be retired across all sports and on all levels.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    As baseball-centric as I can be at times, I still think that the number 42 should be retired across all sports and on all levels.
    That's not a bad idea. Jackie's impact on not just sports, but American culture as a whole was gigantic. He was forging ahead over a decade before what we know as the Civil Rights Movement began in earnest. He was a true pioneer.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

I think it may be fair to say, there might not be affirmative action without Robinson's actions.

As far as pro sports go Marion Motley predates Jackie as the post war integrator and Fritz Pollard predates both of them. But baseball was on a bigger stage then. However Jackie didn't go it alone in 1947, 4 other black men played MLB that season.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    However Jackie didn't go it alone in 1947, 4 other black men played MLB that season.
    Are you sure about that? So far as I know, Larry Doby and Hank Thompson were the only other black players in 1947.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._team_and_date

If the Jackie Robinson experiment hadn't gone well, those other guys would not have joined the league 3 months later.

Are you sure about that? So far as I know, Larry Doby and Hank Thompson were the only other black players in 1947.

If the Jackie Robinson experiment hadn't gone well, those other guys would not have joined the league 3 months later.
    Dan Bankhead and Willard Brown also played in 47. They're not on your list because they were not the first blacks signed to play with their teams (Brooklyn and the Brownies), respectively.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56985

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Dan Bankhead and Willard Brown also played in 47. They're not on your list because they were not the first blacks signed to play with their teams (Brooklyn and the Brownies), respectively.
    That's interesting. I didn't know that. Good move on the part of the Dodgers to add some support for Jackie. I was wondering if the Dodgers added more, thus not being a part of the Wiki list.

Turn Off Ads?