Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 8/17/13 Reds @ Milwaukee (Let's At Least Sew Up the Split)

Re: 8/17/13 Reds @ Milwaukee (Let's At Least Sew Up the Split)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    And when you look at the underachieving offense, you have to look at the underachieving stars.
    Our you look at your stars putting up their normal above average/excellent years, and then turn your attention to all of the other positions providing sub .730 OPS, with left field, catcher, and shortstop being the biggest black holes with only decent third base and second base production.

Here's the big problem I have with all the hand-wringing about the offense (which I agree is our weak point): We aren't the only ones. If the Reds offense is pathetic, than I'd like to know what adjective describes Arizona's, who have scored 22 less runs than the Reds (we have them beat in HRs, RBIs, OBP, and OPS as well). Brave new world; pitching is king. It's not as though the rest of the league are the 90s Rockies and the Reds are the only inept ones.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

(which I agree is our weak point):
    This is why we pay you the big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Choo this year: .276 .410 .446 .856
    Choo career: .287 .386 .463 .848

Choo's 2013 OPS+: 132. Choo's career OPS+: 132.

What the heck are you talking about?
    .274 is a long way from .287. Particularly when you factor in the ballpark he's now playing in. I also thought he was much sounder fundamentally than he's shown. That's what the heck I'm talking about.

This is why we pay you the big bucks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I expected Bruce to have a breakout year. He continues to put up barely adequate numbers despite playing in a little league park. Choo is hitting .270, is that what you expected at the time of the trade? Didn't you expect more from Mes- more than under .250 and 8 HRs? Is it expecting too much that at some point Votto (or Bruce) would step up and carry this team like Ludwick did last July/August?
    Expectations vs. hopes I guess. I didn't expect Bruce to suddenly become Votto-like, although every year Jay improves and I hope one day he becomes a .300-.350-.550 type. Did I expect more from Mes? Absolutely not, why should I until he gets some regular time under his belt and demonstrates he's a quality hitter. Choo has had some ups and downs, but overall, I couldn't have asked for more out of him knowing his career figures.

When you look at this lineup and have lofty expectations of them, then you're overvaluing them. That's my only point - just too many low OPS types throughout to think they're more than they really are.

.274 is a long way from .287. Particularly when you factor in the ballpark he's now playing in. I also thought he was much sounder fundamentally than he's shown. That's what the heck I'm talking about.
    His batting average? Really?

I guess that's an opinion, sure.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

These kinds of duds are going to happen from time to time. It just adds to the bummer of losing the one they should have won on Thursday. Those are the killer losses.

This team can't afford too many more Chapman implosions.

Turn Off Ads?