Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Season

Re: 2017 NFL Season

Let them celebrate, it it gets out of hand flag them. Maybe go like the old facemask rule, 5 yards for one and 15 yards for the other.

I don't mind flagging a celebration, but 15 yard penalties are very, very punitive.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I see Cortez Kennedy died today at age 48. Playing in the NFL is hard on you especially at his size

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I see Cortez Kennedy died today at age 48. Playing in the NFL is hard on you especially at his size
    Hard to accept that "natural causes" can be the reason at 48. Hope his family let's an autoposy occur to see if he had CTE.

He was one of the greatest to ever play the game. He was so good, he won Defensive Player-of-the-Year on a 2-14 team, tucked away in the Northwest
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

Chip R (05-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Seems to me that leads to a lot of subjective judgement on the part of the officials. Just like we all do, they probably have different opinions on what is offensive and prolonged and how much of a delay of the game they cause and what's directed at an opponent and what isn't.
    It still comes down to a player not being an idiot and acting like he's been there before. Act like a professional instead of an immature turd.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It still comes down to a player not being an idiot and acting like he's been there before. Act like a professional instead of an immature turd.
    Again, that's subjective. One ref may believe that anything more than spiking the ball constitutes a penalty. Another may believe that a player can do The Worm and it won't be a penalty. Officials have so many subjective decisions to make. Why add to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Again, why even spike the ball? Grow up.

Again, why even spike the ball? Grow up.
    Baseball and Hockey police themselves. Show up your opponent after a score and you get beaned (or the next guy does and you get it from him), or you get to have a round with the gloves off. Football doesn't police itself.

Do it in tennis and you get suspended. Players who can't show some class and act professional need an adult to do it for them. It's like parenting, and parenting is subjective. That's OK.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-24-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Baseball and Hockey police themselves. Show up your opponent after a score and you get beaned (or the next guy does and you get it from him), or you get to have a round with the gloves off. Football doesn't police itself.

Do it in tennis and you get suspended. Players who can't show some class and act professional need an adult to do it for them. It's like parenting, and parenting is subjective. That's OK.
    Players want to express themselves. This isn't 1940. It's a game and it's supposed to be fun. If you don't want to see players do celebrations, watch HS and college football.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Players want to express themselves. This isn't 1940. It's a game and it's supposed to be fun. If you don't want to see players do celebrations, watch HS and college football.
    I like to see professionals act professionally. Immature and classless behaviors are not entertaining.

What's immature and classless doesn't change with the decades just because there are millions of idiots that follow the Kardashians on Twitter. It only means that there are a lot more immature and classless people.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-24-2017 at 01:47 PM.

12. Likes:

Hobbes (06-16-2017),texasdave (05-24-2017)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Football players don't see the need to police an opponent spiking the football. Why? Because it's understood that your guy gets to spike the football too. Everyone involved knows the culture, what's acceptable and what isn't. Policing is a non-issue until someone deviates from cultural norms.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Football players don't see the need to police an opponent spiking the football. Why? Because it's understood that your guy gets to spike the football too. Everyone involved knows the culture, what's acceptable and what isn't. Policing is a non-issue until someone deviates from cultural norms.
    Then it starts crossing the line of disrespecting your opponent and acting like a child.

In other news, the NFL has voted to shorten the overtime period by 5 minutes. So now it's a 10 minute OT.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

In other news, the NFL has voted to shorten the overtime period by 5 minutes. So now it's a 10 minute OT.
    I am almost, could be convinced one way or the other, of no overtime. By the time the game gets to OT the players on both sides are pretty much spent. The quality of play is going downhill, and the risk for injury goes up. In college I am a proponent of OT because of the minuscule margin of error. In college you also have fewer games as well as many more players suited up for each game. One tie could be the difference between a conference championship or not. I do enjoy the college OT more, I like the excitement and "fairness" that it provides.

In the NFL you have 16 games to win a division, two wild card spots available, one tie isn't going to harm you one way or the other. I would much rather see teams play for the win on regulation than sit on the ball and play a lackluster OT period. I would be willing to give it a trial run for one season, if there are an alarming number of ties, then by all means bring back OT. But if there are only a few a season, let it stand. I would eliminate OT in the preseason right now.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-26-2017),Revering4Blue (05-26-2017)

I sure wouldn't want to go back to the days of ties in the NFL. Sports that suck have ties. I would just as soon have the NFL go the other direction and do it like the playoffs. When I watch a sporting event I want to see a winner and a loser. That's why I watch.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I sure wouldn't want to go back to the days of ties in the NFL. Sports that suck have ties. I would just as soon have the NFL go the other direction and do it like the playoffs. When I watch a sporting event I want to see a winner and a loser. That's why I watch.
    I'd like to know the players I root for (and against) aren't putting themselves at serious risk just to satisfy my personal wants.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?