Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cozart

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Cozart

Sounds like what I always hoped would happen for Justin Tordi.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Funny how those two seem to work in inverse proportion.
    Cozart can absolutely glove it. Whether he hits or not, his glove is for real.

The need to move Cozart up highlights another issue. The Reds need to sort out the SS/3B situation. They have the somewhat happy dilemma of not being able to move people up because the players at the next level are playing too well.

Frazier is still being used at SS because Francisco is also at Sarasota. At Chattanooga, Valaika is still being used at SS; Eymann has been moved to 3B where suddenly he has found a bat. At Louisville, I don't believe the Reds have given up on Janish at SS; at 3B Rosales has started to hit very well over the last month. Everything I have read indicates that the Reds are high on him. My sense is that most of these players would be moving through other systems more rapidly.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Valaika is "still" being used at SS because he is the Reds' SS of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Frazier is still being used at SS because Francisco is also at Sarasota. At Chattanooga, Valaika is still being used at SS; Eymann has been moved to 3B where suddenly he has found a bat. At Louisville, I don't believe the Reds have given up on Janish at SS; at 3B Rosales has started to hit very well over the last month. Everything I have read indicates that the Reds are high on him. My sense is that most of these players would be moving through other systems more rapidly.
    What are you basing this on? I just looked at other position players picked in the same round as Cozart and all are at low A or high A, except the Rockies pick whose at AAA at the moment. I haven't looked at all of them, but I'm not sure the facts back you up on this.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

re Valaika still at SS. I am big CV fan. Few things would please me more than his sticking at SS. I think he is a strong competitor who will learn to hit ML pitching as he has at every other level. My reservations defensively go back to the Baseball America draft assessment that he has below average range for a SS. This year's fielding statistics suggest that he is less sure handed than either Janish or Cozart. Valaika = .953; Janish = .968 at AAA; Cozart= .979. My use of the word "still" was a reference to the fact that the Reds have not yet ruled him out.

Regarding the speed with which players move through the minors, it is a generalization based not on Cozart's draft cohort, but on the minor league experience and performance of young players on the major league rosters of other teams. When I look at their minor league stats, I conclude that most would still in the minors if they were in the Reds' system. lAs a test, I looked at the rosters of the NL East teams for players age 24 and younger. With one exception, Cole Hamels, I concluded that these players would still be in the minors if they had put up the same numbers for the Reds. Here is a list of the players I considered.

Atlanta: Jair Jurrgens, Greg Blanco (compare his stats to Hanigan's)

Washington: Collin Balester; John Lannan; Jesus Flores (A+ to ML); Ryan Zimmerman (same class as Valaika, had great numbers but only 17 ABs at A- and 233 at AA before being promoted to ML)

NY Mets: Nick Evans (no AAA); Ambiorix Burgos; Mike Pelfrey

Philadelphia: Kyle Kendrick

Florida: Chris Volstad;; Andrew Miller; Scott Olsen (good numbers, but only 87 IP above A+); Anibal Sanchez. It is worth noting that the Marlins have had excellent success in turning over their roster.

There is something to be said for the methodical approach the Reds have been following under WK and WJ. The minors are where defensive skills need to be polished as well. IMO EE was rushed too fast.

My gripe about moving prospects through the system slowly stems from my frustration over the log jam at the ML and AAA levels. We have a wealth of both position players and pitchers who have proven themselves and need to be challenged by a move to the next level. I think to some extent the Reds are holding onto players on their major league roster in the hope of trading rather than releasing them. In the case of AAA players who do not figure into the Reds future, I think Louisville is nonetheless owed an opportunity to compete for a title. Still, it is frustrating. We are running out of time in the minor league season.

one having players play at SS and 3rd is a good thing, all that means is theyre gonna get many more chances than if you put them in RF or LF, you want youre guys to touch the ball. As far as movement thru the system Im not to concerned with that either because I think this is the last year were youll see a ton of journeymen type players at AAA, next year will be the first year really in like forever where this organization will be back to where it should be as far stability throughout the minors, yes it has taken this long to undo what Marge had done to the system IMO.

I agree with your points. The organization is approaching a point at which there will be 3-5 prospects each year with a legitimate chance to make the big club out of spring training. There will no longer be a need to fill out the spring roster with marginal major league free agent signings. I think this has become the only way a small market team can compete. For small market teams the penalty for overpaying for free agents is too severe.

Cozart is looking more and more like the second coming of A-GON. Slick glove, struggles with OBP, good power for a legit SS, not a threat for SB. As of now:

.279/.333/.460/.793 in 387 AB with 24BB, 70K and 14 HR. He is a legit SS prospect IMO who will probably be a bottom of the line-up guy who adds a little pop. Unless some one is acquired, he appears to be the SS of the future on this team. IMO Cozart a better prospect than more noted hitters who may be tweeners because they have issues with being able to play a position that their bats can justify.

I have Cozart at number 11, but my list includes Homer Bailey (#4) and Chris Dickerson (#9) who both are probably ineligible next year based on rookie qualification status. That would move Cozart into the top 10 IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-24-2008 at 07:07 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I like Cozart as the SS of the future. If he is AGon at his best I'll take it and run.

Cozart homered in the playoff game last night, hit .280 for the regular season.

Have to find a spot for him on the top ten prospects list.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Going to be tough for him to get in. Top 15, absolutely. Top 10, probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Going to be tough for him to get in. Top 15, absolutely. Top 10, probably not.

Still, he's come a long way from everyone's initial reaction to his selection. I guess we're all learning that defense counts for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I have him at #8 now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

everyone's initial reaction to his selection
    plenty of people here understand it takes years to fairly assess a pick

Turn Off Ads?