Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Fastball ever?

Fastest Fastball ever?

With all the Chapman hype I have a simple question, what is the fastest fastball ever clocked in a major league game? And what is the fastest fastball by a lefty?
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fastest Faseball ever?

Joel Zumaya
    104.8 mph
    10-10-2006
    McAfee Coliseum

Surprisingly, more pitchers than you might think have hit 100. Nolan Ryan was the first to ever do it (100.9 in 1974). When you hit 101 though, that distinguishes you quite a bit...it's pretty elite. And 102 is even more elite. No one has ever hit 103 in a game before, but Mark Wohlers did hit 103 in spring training in 1995.

Oddly enough, Rob Dibble is 1 pitcher who has hit 101.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 03-08-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

The fastest pitch to ever hit a player in the face? Hmm, not sure about that one. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Joel Zumaya
    104.8 mph
    10-10-2006
    McAfee Coliseum

Surprisingly, more pitchers than you might think have hit 100. Nolan Ryan was the first to ever do it (100.9 in 1974). When you hit 101 though, that distinguishes you quite a bit...it's pretty elite. And 102 is even more elite. No one has ever hit 103 in a game before, but Mark Wohlers did hit 103 in spring training in 1995.

Didn't Griffey hit a grand slam off that 104 mph pitch from Zumaya?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Didn't Griffey hit a grand slam off that 104 mph pitch from Zumaya?
    Yep. Somehow, his old bat caught up to it. Then we blew it and eventually lost on a Lopez throwing error.

I've been attending Reds home games since 1963, from what I've seen with my own eyes no Reds pitcher ever threw a baseball any harder than Jim Maloney. I can hardly wait to see Chapman pitch in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I've been attending Reds home games since 1963, from what I've seen with my own eyes no Reds pitcher ever threw a baseball any harder than Jim Maloney. I can hardly wait to see Chapman pitch in person.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Jim_Maloney

Jim Maloney was one of the biggest pitching stars of the 1960s, winning 20 games twice and 134 overall in his career. His forte was the strikeout: he ranks #25 on the all-time list for strikeouts per nine innings. He was known as one of the hardest throwers of his time.

Maloney threw two no-hitters, both while with the Cincinnati Reds. The first, on August 19, 1965 at Wrigley Field against the Chicago Cubs, was a 10-inning affair. Despite not allowing a hit, Maloney was in trouble most of the game because of walks. His mound counterpart, Larry Jackson, held the Reds to just 1 run, and Maloney walked 10 batters. He also struck out 12, and threw a total of 187 pitches that day.

The second, on April 30, 1969 against the Houston Astros at Crosley Field, was a tidier effort. Maloney only walked five (and struck out 13). His glory was short-lived, however. The next day, the Astros' Don Wilson no hit the Reds, with an almost identical line (6 walks, 13 strikeouts).

All of those hard-thrown pitches took a toll on Maloney's arm, and he had lost all of his effectiveness by the time he reached 30. In 1970 and 1971, he was a combined 0-4 with the Reds and California Angels, with huge ERAs. Also complicating his performance in 1970 and 1971 was the fact that Maloney tore his achilles tendon in 1970, from which he never completely recovered.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Joel Zumaya
    104.8 mph
    10-10-2006
    McAfee Coliseum

I have no idea whether Joel Zumaya was capable of hitting 104, but I do know that MLB doesn't monitor the way that guns at major league ballparks are calibrated. I seem to recall watching a game on one of the fox sports affiliates where the gun on the TV was seven miles per hour slower than the one in the ballpark. The conventional wisdom here is that the ballparks 'juice' the guns so that the fans ooh and aah.

Long story short, take the mph readings at the ballpark with a grain of salt.
    Stick to your guns.

Surprisingly, more pitchers than you might think have hit 100. Nolan Ryan was the first to ever do it (100.9 in 1974). .
    Nolan Ryan was not the first to do it. Just the first to do it when there were radar guns around.
    Last edited by klw; 03-09-2010 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I have no idea whether Joel Zumaya was capable of hitting 104, but I do know that MLB doesn't monitor the way that guns at major league ballparks are calibrated. I seem to recall watching a game on one of the fox sports affiliates where the gun on the TV was seven miles per hour slower than the one in the ballpark. The conventional wisdom here is that the ballparks 'juice' the guns so that the fans ooh and aah.

Long story short, take the mph readings at the ballpark with a grain of salt.
    Not just the ones at the park, and not just the ones on tv, there are slower and faster pitch f/x parks, too, and you might not even know when a particular system at a specific park has been altered.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Don't forget about the legend of Steve Dalkowski
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...kowski-depths/
    Here's a taste
    “He was unbelievable. He threw a lot faster than Ryan. It’s hard to believe but he did,” asserted Earl Weaver, who watched Nolan Ryan pitch dozens of times, and managed Dalkowski.

Paul Blair, who batted against Ryan, Sandy Koufax, Sam McDowell, Vida Blue, Dick Radatz and Goose Gossage, said of Dalkowski, “He threw the hardest I ever saw.”

A near-identical statement came from Cal Ripken Sr., who caught Dalkowski and whose professional career as a player, manager and coach spanned five decades. He observed Ryan, J.R. Richard, Dwight Gooden, Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson: “Steve Dalkowski was the hardest thrower I ever saw.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Aren't you guys forgetting Sidd Finch's 168 mph fastball?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Bob Feller still claims, to this day, that he was clocked throwing 107.8 mph, in 1946. If I remember correctly, he was also clocked by the Army at just under 100.

Unfortunately the technology does not yet exist to clock Jim Coombs' fastball.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Re: Fastest Fastball ever?

Here is a Bill James piece where he breaks down the best fastballs by 5 year period through the modern history of baseball and the types of fastballs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...135&type=story

Turn Off Ads?