Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    2. OB or Power/Speed. Ideally you'd have both. Chase Headley at his peak was pretty much my ideal #2 hitter.
    IIRC, Headley's peak lasted for about 2 months in the second half of 2012.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    IIRC, Headley's peak lasted for about 2 months in the second half of 2012.
    My apologies. I meant to type Chase Utley.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Phew. Glad this has been addressed.

John Fay ‏@johnfayman 15m
    The #Reds have given Price four 'Reds' ties since the press conference. He says the tie had a little bit of "salmon" in it.

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013),KittyDuran (10-24-2013),Tom Servo (10-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    This made me laugh and was an oasis in an ocean of idiocy. "DONT TRADE BP HES THE HART AND SOLE OF THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    BP is the excellence of execution.

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-26-2013),M2 (10-25-2013),TRF (10-25-2013)

Price said in his Channel 5 interview he thought the team needs more aggression in general (specifics like 1st to 3rd, secondary leads, etc) but also said something I found strange, "Putting friendships aside during the game and have a true us against them mentality." I don't know where that may have come up, but seeing that as a cause for lack of aggression is not that common, at least not commonly spoke about.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-29-2013)

From talking with an ex Reds pitcher the other day from my hometown...I was asking him about Price and he said that while he does not know him personally and doesnt know anyone on the team personally, he still stays in touch with some people in the game and some members of the Reds team (non players)......and they all have nothing but great things to say about Bryan Price the baseball guy and Bryan Price the man.....He said that even before Bryan was named manager that almost everyone in Baseball knew it would be him because everyone knew that he was going to get a manager spot next year regardless if it were the Reds or not...and several thought it would have happened last year.

I asked if Bryan would be a continuation from Dusty and his answer was that everyone he spoke with said that they are exact opposites and they often wondered how they worked together....Said that Bryan is a bull dog type of guy when it comes to preparation for the game....he is not the type who loses opening day and says "oh well, we have 161 more games to go"...he said that he has heard that Bryan Price will dissect every loss and discuss it with the team like a football team does on Mondays....He also said that some people thought this was a negative trait that Price has and it could hurt him.

I for one am encouraged with what I have heard in the media and from what I heard from the ex Red pitcher in my hometown....take it with a grain of salt as there were about 15 people all talking to him about Price and I am just repeating what he said...I am sure he would not go into a verbal beat down on Price even if he hated him....but I think it was an honest converstaion for the most part.

If Price truly takes each loss to heart then I think it will help the players. Tony Gwynn used to go home each night and forget about the game....soon as he woke up the next day he would be the first person at the park and he would watch video of his at bats and study them...good and bad.
    I get sick of hearing about all these Drew Stubbs type players who almost refuse to change their approach for fear of failing....some players are happy with average since just being average in MLB will net you 5 million dollars a year minimum....I want players who will bat 300 and drive in 100 runs with a great OBP and still want to get better and still put the time in thats needed to adjust. I want players who take a loss like its a game 7 loss of the world series.....thats how you get better and thats what fuels these younger players of todays world to get better....

they make enough money in todays game that if they can just put together a few years of medicore ball then they can cash in and be set for life...we need some hunger, we need some fire, we need some guys who are not happy leading the league in walks unless it means we are wining the world series....we need a SS who takes batting 7th as a slap in the face when he was batting 2nd....we need a LF'er who refuses to blame any hiccup on the fans who are not loud enough, we need a pitcher who is not afraid of pitching inside or even high and inside...not to harm the batter to but to back him off the plate...I am sick of pitchers forgetting the art of pitching inside. we need a pitcher who gets taken out of the 7th inning of a close game and he throws his glove against the wall on his way to the tunnel because he is pissed at Price for taking him out, we want that pitcher to have the fire to get the next guy out.

Those are the traits that I seen us lose during Dustys time as manager.....Sure Dusty did a ton of great things as well and he helped mold this team and fan base into expecting 90 win seasons and fighting for a playoff spot each and every year no matter what, no exceptions...for that we can thank Dusty, he brought winning Baseball back to the Baseball capitol of the USA.....now we need Price to bring Championship baseball back and if he has the traits that I am hearing he has, it might happen very soon. I think guys are going to learn that Price is your friend and he will have your back till the very end but during those 9 innings of playing the game, you best be on the top of your game or he will let you know about it and he will find someone who will...

11. Likes:

goreds2 (10-26-2013),mdccclxix (10-25-2013),REDREAD (10-29-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    but also said something I found strange, "Putting friendships aside during the game and have a true us against them mentality." I don't know where that may have come up, but seeing that as a cause for lack of aggression is not that common, at least not commonly spoke about.
    Maybe Price was referring to his predecessor, who some said strived to be everyone's friend?
    /r/reds

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Maybe Price was referring to his predecessor, who some said strived to be everyone's friend?
    Good interview. I interpreted the comment as an all around comment. Baker and maybe the coaches being too chummy and the players themselves not as focused on the task at hand.

Also said he was inclined to keep Joey "a jack the ripper" type hitter in the three hole.

Loved the aggression and first to third comments. Amazing how much this team regressed on the base paths since the 2010 season.
    Last edited by oregonred; 10-25-2013 at 11:01 AM.

I took it as being too friendly with the opponent and not focusing on beating them, but I don't know now.

I took it as being too friendly with the opponent and not focusing on beating them, but I don't know now.

I took it as BP laughing and joking with Byrd after Byrd had just missed a HR by a foot or so, and BP saying he should do more pushups.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-26-2013)

Here is the exact quote: "Overall agression, overall attitude to go out there and win each day. And not just win, but be able to seperate the friendships from the time that first pitch starts and go out there and see it as an us against them mentality and really do everything we can to win every single game."

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Price said in his Channel 5 interview he thought the team needs more aggression in general (specifics like 1st to 3rd, secondary leads, etc) but also said something I found strange, "Putting friendships aside during the game and have a true us against them mentality." I don't know where that may have come up, but seeing that as a cause for lack of aggression is not that common, at least not commonly spoke about.
    You mean that Votto can't continue to chat opposing base-runners up at 1B?

Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Here is the exact quote: "Overall agression, overall attitude to go out there and win each day. And not just win, but be able to seperate the friendships from the time that first pitch starts and go out there and see it as an us against them mentality and really do everything we can to win every single game."
    Dunno about the players, but I'm glad to hear Price talk this way.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I took it as BP laughing and joking with Byrd after Byrd had just missed a HR by a foot or so, and BP saying he should do more pushups.
    I think that definitely is the type of thing he's referring to.

And I also think that sort of thing makes Phillips even more likely to be moved.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Said that Bryan is a bull dog type of guy when it comes to preparation for the game....he is not the type who loses opening day and says "oh well, we have 161 more games to go"...he said that he has heard that Bryan Price will dissect every loss and discuss it with the team like a football team does on Mondays....He also said that some people thought this was a negative trait that Price has and it could hurt him.
    This, in a nutshell, is probably why pitching coaches have rarely made the transition to manager.

Pitching coaches are, by nature, micromanagers. They focus on little things in the delivery and the little details of scouting reports. Their world consists of hand motions, leg kicks, and release points.

My main worry with Price, as a former pitching coach, is that there DOES occasionally need to be a mentality of "we've got 161 more of these left to play" when you're talking about being responsible for hitting and fielding issues (things that don't get fixed with a mechanical tweak or an extra bullpen session) as well.

I'm confident, though, that a guy as smart as he seems should be able to understand this difference.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

23. Likes:

Dom Heffner (10-29-2013),M2 (10-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?