Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Brown, go after Savage

Mike Brown, go after Savage

Apparently Phil Savage is out as GM of the Browns.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11195526

I would love to see the Bengals make a run at him. Savage and Marvin Lewis worked together in Baltimore, and Savage is a great judge of talent, so if the Bengals are looking for a GM......

I know, I know, a pipe dream, but still.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Brown, go after Savage

Sure hire him as a scout but not as a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Sure hire him as a scout but not as a GM.
    Why not? The guy pumped more than enough talent into Cleveland. They went 10-6 last year. Sure they had a bad year this year, but I don't think that erases a lot of what he accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Why not? The guy pumped more than enough talent into Cleveland. They went 10-6 last year. Sure they had a bad year this year, but I don't think that erases a lot of what he accomplished.
    He had one good year to build off of, and Cleveland fell flat on their face.

Exactly what did he accomplish? If anything, he accomplished more in the no 2 role in Baltimore than he did as a GM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Not that it matters. I don't see the Bengals hiring a GM for one simple reason.

Marvin is still under contract. Whoever the GM is will want his own people running the show, and I can't see SoP cutting Marvin loose and paying him for one year. He will let his contract expire and hire whoever will take the job.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    He had one good year to build off of, and Cleveland fell flat on their face.

Exactly what did he accomplish? If anything, he accomplished more in the no 2 role in Baltimore than he did as a GM.
    Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the same round... the man rejuvenated that franchise. I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.

The guy knows how to find players in the draft, and we DESPERATELY need that.

But you're correct in stating Brown would probably never hire a GM

Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn in the same round... the man rejuvenated that franchise. I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.

But you're correct in stating Brown would probably never hire a GM
    He did trade away the first year of this year's draft without much to see in return. That will probably hurt the Browns for the next two years. And based on the experience after the Bengals' 11-5 year, I'd hardly call a 10-6 year a "rejuvenation." If the Bengals are going to hire a GM, I'd rather they do so as part of a wholesale change in organizational philosophy and seek out someone from an organization with a history of success.

P.S. A lot of Browns fans would like to see Edwards and his tendency to drop balls shipped out of town.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I never saw the fascination with Brady Quinn.

They gave up a bunch up to get him.

The Bengals should go after Chris Polian of the Colts or Scott Paoli of the hated Pats if they are serious.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I think the reason for them falling on their face was because of injuries, a killer schedule, and uncertainy at QB, not to mention a horrible coaching staff.
    Bingo!

The Browns are a better team then their 4-12 record. They had a rash of pre-season injuries that really got them off to a bad start. And they gave away 4 games this year that, IMO, they should have won. But that is my subjective opinion.

But the injuries was one problem. The killer schedule was another. And the Bengals had one too. I predicted in the pre-season that the Browns would be lucky to finish 8-8.

The other(s)?

I like Savage, but I'd like to see him retained in our FO as a talent evaluator in some capacity. Not as GM.

He screwed up at the end of last season by....

#1 - extending Crennel and giving him a nice raise, when it wasn't necessary. No one was beating down the door to sway him out of Cleveland.

#2 - resigning Anderson to that ridiculous contract. He should have sold high. Derek Anderson is no more then a very good backup. he's just like another ex-Brown QB in Holcomb, who can come in and shine periodically, yet doesn't show consistency to be a starter. They could have let him walk as a limited FA and got some nice picks out of it all.

Those two moves spelled Savage's doom IMO. League sources have speculated that Patriots vice president of personnel Scott Pioli is a potential successor to Savage.

Crennel will be history also. I thought the forte for guys like Romeo and Lewis was defense?

If Pioli is hired, head coaching candidates are expected to be Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz.

But it is also rumored that Lerner is going hard and fast, behind the scenes, after Cowher.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3795786
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

A lot of Savage's moves are going to have to be wait and see, especially Brady Quinn. I think he was mismanaged, especially with the decision to retain Derek Anderson, and I ultimately believe his career will have an impact as a result.

Cleveland should have taken the Cincinnati approach and let Anderson have one year, then go with Brady Quinn this year.

I have no problem with bringing Savage in as a scout, but I want no part of him as a GM. Giving up a first and second round pick to move up one spot for Winslow, and trading away the entire draft last year for Shaun Rogers, Corey Williams, and Brady Quinn shows me that Savage isn't exactly somebody I would want pulling the final trigger on any decisions.

Scout yes. GM no.

I can understand not wanting him as a GM, I suppose, although I wouldn't object. I just think it's high time the Bengals hired SOMEONE that knows SOMETHING about evaluating talent, and he fits the bill.

I can understand not wanting him as a GM, I suppose, although I wouldn't object. I just think it's high time the Bengals hired SOMEONE that knows SOMETHING about evaluating talent, and he fits the bill.
    There are plenty of guys out there who can evaluate talent. I'd like to see the Bengals go after someone from a winning organization. It would finally signal that the Bengals FO has realized that it philosophies on how to run a football team are from a bygone era. The mantra should be "Great talent, winning attitude" from top to bottom.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Maybe the post header should read "Savages, go after Mike Brown"

GL

/I kid.

lol at the idea of the Bengals hiring scouts. That's less likely than hiring a GM I think. I mean they have all they need with the couple they have now, why bring in more?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?