Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave Williams is 2-0, 3.79 ERA for the Mets

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Dave Williams is 2-0, 3.79 ERA for the Mets

did Kriv give up on Williams too early, only because he was brought in by O'B?

The Mets just sent him back down to AAA, but said they're bringing him back up for his next start.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dave Williams is 2-0, 3.79 ERA for the Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    did Kriv give up on Williams too early, only because he was brought in by O'B?

The Mets just sent him back down to AAA, but said they're bringing him back up for his next start.
    Williams was junk. If the Mets have somehow turned him around, it's a testament to the quality of their coaching staff.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Chris Michilak pitched 6 scoreless innings in his first appearance. Blind squirrels, nuts, etc.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Williams was junk. If the Mets have somehow turned him around, it's a testament to the quality of their coaching staff.
    or, does it speak to the quality of our pitching coaches, to be more specific?
    sorry we're boring

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

or, does it speak to the quality of our pitching coaches, to be more specific?
    6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other....

Lil of column A.... lil of column B....

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other....

Lil of column A.... lil of column B....
    LOL- you're probably right.

Vern Ruhle made an immediate impact on the ptiching staff when he joined the club last year. I don't know how to find those numbers, but the staff ERA was almost a whole 1.00 better under him than Gully.

I think this staff and team really missed Vern this year. I hope that he comes back, and hope and pray that he's beaten his cancer.

Not sure if Tom Hume is cut out to be full time pitching coach; Boom Boom might be better with the bullpen. This is one area that will be addressed in the offseason, IMO.
    sorry we're boring

The Mets signed him, put him in AAA and immediately put him on the DL. Since he came off the DL he's been a bit better. He's also got a much better defense behind him.

Good for Williams. He wasnt going to be good here. I seriously doubt this will continue with the Mets. I thought the guy was trash here and hated to see him on the mound. But I didnt want the guy to fall off the baseball map. Im glad to see him doing well somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    The Mets signed him, put him in AAA and immediately put him on the DL. Since he came off the DL he's been a bit better. He's also got a much better defense behind him.
    Exactly, a bigger park and a much better defense are a large part of the equation.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

According to ESPN...Luke Hudson is 7-2 in his last 11 starts with the Royals.

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000 View Post
    According to ESPN...Luke Hudson is 7-2 in his last 11 starts with the Royals.
    bigger ballpark, small sample size, better defense....oh, wait, we're talking about the Royals!

It's going to be tough to get any free agent starting pitchers to want to sign with the Reds, if no one except Brandon Webb and his sinker can pitch effectively in GAPB. We need to borrow Colorado's humidor, or move the fences back, or make the outfiled walls higher.

My point is that the Reds have let some decent pitching go this year, pitchers that, yes, were truly awful for us (Williams), but pitching that other teams have picked up and made good use of- Hudson, Williams, Hancock. Heck, even Rick White is 1-1 with a 3.97 ERA with the Phils. He was awful for the Reds, too.

What gives? These guys are awful with us, and then at the very least, are mediocre to good pitchers for other teams. Rick White himself said after the trade that he was sorry he did not do better for the Reds (his hometown team) but then again, they did not use him the way he should have been used.

There's something more to it than "he sucks, he's garbage, just DFA him."

When other teams take pitchers out of our garbage can and make effective major league pitchers out of them- well, the problem is us (pitching coaching, talent evaluation??), not them!
    sorry we're boring

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

...When other teams take pitchers out of our garbage can and make effective major league pitchers out of them- well, the problem is us (pitching coaching, talent evaluation??), not them!
    I agree. In the absence of Vern Ruhle, I wish that Mario Soto would be the pitching coach. I like Tom Hume, but I believe that Soto could bring much needed help (the circle-change to help "miss bats") to the starters and relievers. He seemed to help quite a few in spring training.

I do agree that we shouldn't have DFA'd Williams. If possible, we should have just put him on the DL then in the minors to see if he improved.

Keep in mind that we have picked up other team's "junk" and gotten some good results -- the string of QS by Lohse, Yan had a 3.60 ERA for us, Guardado has been good when healthy, Schoenweiss has been effective, Franklin has been okay from time-to-time . . . so it's not all one-sided.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    Keep in mind that we have picked up other team's "junk" and gotten some good results -- the string of QS by Lohse, Yan had a 3.60 ERA for us, Guardado has been good when healthy, Schoenweiss has been effective, Franklin has been okay from time-to-time . . . so it's not all one-sided.
    good point!
    sorry we're boring

If you look a little closer at most Reds pithers that have left in the last year or so some have improved.I would say #1 reason is that most major league teams have a pitching coach and the Reds(Hume)do not,well atleast not one that can help in anyway.#2 could be getting out of the gopher hole known as GABP.

Turn Off Ads?