Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strasburg goes to AAA

Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep. This is exactly how we should react when someone doesn't say he is perfect. Either he is perfect or he is the worst player we have ever had.
    Stubbs is the best!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    BTW, I think it's pretty funny how there was a ton of excuses being made for Strasburg after his bad start the other night but you don't see any of that for Chapman. I'm reading about how Strasburg had a terrible defense behind him, a small strikezone, and gave up some cheap hits. I guess Chapman's pitching with eight gold glovers behind him and a perfect strikezone.
    ESPN and the sports media has a marketing interest in building Strasburg as Superman, if he has a bad start or slumps, they are going to downplay it to keep his superstar image alive.

If they have a phenom to push, they're going to do everything they can to build that player up to keep interest in everything he does and get ratings.

Nope. It has everything to do with bringing him up June 1st or there abouts. The plan from the beginning was a month in AA, a month in AAA and then to the majors, unless he stumbled along the way.
    If that's the case then the Reds have a chance to face him in his MLB debut. The Reds are in DC June 4-6.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If that's the case then the Reds have a chance to face him in his MLB debut. The Reds are in DC June 4-6.
    Yep. There were some people hoping that somehow the planets would align to see Chapman vs Strasburg in their MLB debuts. For a while there the two were pitching on the same day.

Mike Leake vs Stephen Strasburg wouldn't be a bad matchup either. There's some people out there, albeit not many, that think Leake will have a better career than Strasburg. IIRC, Adam Foster of Project Prospect is one of those people.

Can you imagine the hype if Strassburg was in the majors right now and off to the start that Leake is on? You'd hear all the hype about how "nerves" got to him in his first 2 starts, but since his control has returned to form, he's on top of things, he's sure to be a future all-star, many times over. Instead the national media gives us updates on Stassburg's minor league games and virtually ignore what Leake has done.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Can you imagine the hype if Strassburg was in the majors right now and off to the start that Leake is on? You'd hear all the hype about how "nerves" got to him in his first 2 starts, but since his control has returned to form, he's on top of things, he's sure to be a future all-star, many times over. Instead the national media gives us updates on Stassburg's minor league games and virtually ignore what Leake has done.
    Sad but true. Leake's just not as sexy of a story. MLB has been trying hard to sell the story and ESPN has been eating it up. The fact that Strasburg was the #1 pick overall is a big reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Sad but true. Leake's just not as sexy of a story. MLB has been trying hard to sell the story and ESPN has been eating it up. The fact that Strasburg was the #1 pick overall is a big reason why.
    Its not so much that he was the #1 pick, its because of the things that made him the #1 pick. He is viewed as far and away the best draft eligible pitcher since Mark Prior. We didn't get updates on David Price or Justin Verlander in the minors. It is because of what Strasburg the pitcher is, not because of where he went in the draft.

Its not so much that he was the #1 pick, its because of the things that made him the #1 pick. He is viewed as far and away the best draft eligible pitcher since Mark Prior. We didn't get updates on David Price or Justin Verlander in the minors. It is because of what Strasburg the pitcher is, not because of where he went in the draft.
    The #1 draft slot definitely plays a role in the overall picture. If Strasburg went in the 20s to the Twins, would that change the storyline? I think it would.

The #1 draft slot definitely plays a role in the overall picture. If Strasburg went in the 20s to the Twins, would that change the storyline? I think it would.
    I think you cant have one with out the other.

Not if he fell because of signability and he was still the exact same pitcher, no, it wouldn't matter one bit. The guy went #1 because he was far and away the best talent. If he fell down the boards because of signing concerns, but did sign, it would still be the same thing.

Not if he fell because of signability and he was still the exact same pitcher, no, it wouldn't matter one bit. The guy went #1 because he was far and away the best talent. If he fell down the boards because of signing concerns, but did sign, it would still be the same thing.
    I disagree emphatically unless he went to a major market team (a la the Yanks, BoSox, Cubs etc). I don't deny that his talent is a big reason why there is all the hype, but where he went in the draft is definitely a major part of it.

I disagree emphatically unless he went to a major market team (a la the Yanks, BoSox, Cubs etc). I don't deny that his talent is a big reason why there is all the hype, but where he went in the draft is definitely a major part of it.
    Then why didn't we get updates on Tim Beckham, David Price or Luke Hochevar?

Then why didn't we get updates on Tim Beckham, David Price or Luke Hochevar?
    Because MLB was involved and they helped sell the story to ESPN and SI and other sports mediums. But I believe if he had dropped in the draft and went to the Twins into the 20s...we would be hearing a lot less.

Yep. There were some people hoping that somehow the planets would align to see Chapman vs Strasburg in their MLB debuts. For a while there the two were pitching on the same day.
    That will never happen. Both clubs know when they trot out Strasburg and Chapman for their MLB debut it will be a sell out or near a sell out.
    I will say Chapman will make his debut against KC the weekend of June 11th and Strasburg against the Reds the week before.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?