Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor League Updates: Wednesday 4/17/2013

Minor League Updates: Wednesday 4/17/2013

Louisville playing a day matinee game. Greg Reynolds, coming off a stellar performance, will toe the rubber. Game starting shortly. Jason Donald with a single in the first. He is now hitting .294 on the season. I wonder what has to happen for him to get called up? IMO, he would provide more value than Izturis. Hitting-wise anyway. I really have no idea what type of defending skills he might possess.
    No score after one. Each team has a single safety.
    Hessman and Rodriguez start things off with back-to-back shaky singles. Hessman's of the infield variety in which the shortstop airmailed the throw. Rodriguez rolled one that the third baseman got the glove down too late on. Perez clears the bases with his second long ball of the season. 3-zip. Josh Fellhauer is struggling to adjust to AAA. He is now hitting .048. Reynolds with a 1-2-3 second.
    Billy Hamilton with a single to start the third. He steals second on the first pitch. Steal number 8; he has been caught stealing once. He was actually picked off. For some odd reason they count that as a pick off and a caught stealing. Jason Donald with another double, plating Hamilton. 4-0. Donald now up to .314. A ground out and a sac fly make it 5-0. Henry Rodriguez with his second hit. This one hit off the wall in right-center. Perez singles home Rodriguez but is thrown out trying to take second on the throw home. 6-0.
    They have a Harlem Globetrotter in the booth. The Globetrotters will be in Columbus on the 20th if interested. There is a Globetrotter on the roster by the name of "Tiny" who is 7'8''. Globetrotters haven't lost since 1971. Harlem Globetrotters started on the South Side of Chicago in 1927. The Globetrotters did not play their first game in Harlem until 1968.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Minor League Updates: Wednesday 4/17/2013

Louisville is ... uh ... getting the BATS out early!

Nice to see H-Rod with two knocks, including his fourth double of the season. Good to see Billy with a line-drive single and then a steal to leadoff the 3-run 3rd inning. Good to see Donald with two hits (I still think the Reds will need him this year) and good to see Felix Perez raking.

Here's one for you: My wife is at the game and I'm not. She's there in a luxury box as part of a work outing. Therefore, she is seeing Billy Hamilton play in person before I do. Haha.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 04-17-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Bats stay hot. Leadoff double by Phipps. The centerfielder laid out for it and it bounced up and hit him in the face. Konrad Schmidt singled him over to third. Fellhauer with his second strike out of the game. Down to .045. He is not only not on the Interstate; he is not even on the feeder road. Billy Hamilton grounds into an inning-ending double play.

Can your wife spin a basketball on her finger? She may have been down on the field with that Harlem Globetrotter trying to win some free tix.

Four scoreless innings for Reynolds, pushing his streak to 11. And as soon as I post this Greg Reynolds scoreless streak goes by the board. A two-out double scores two for the Clippers. Jose Arredondo starts to get loose. A single scores a third run. The ball was bobbled by Fellhauer. Clippers' announcers feel the runner would have been a dead duck since it was the catcher running. Hometown scoring gives the batter an RBI and Fellhauer is not credited with an error. Reynolds is wobbling. He needs to get this last out in the fifth to be in position to earn a win. Reynolds gets the final out and is likely finished for the day. He was creeping up on the 100-pitch mark.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-17-2013 at 01:26 PM.

As I recall, Donald had a terrible first game, and I was thinking that he might be one of those guys who is so bummed about being sent down that he underperforms. But to his credit, that hasn't been the case.

Also pleasantly surprised by Felix Perez. I saw him play a couple years ago and wasn't impressed. Thought he had too long a swing for a guy who isn't very big. But for the past year or so, he's been productive.

(texdave: i got your pm but still couldn't reply. If you wish, send me another with your email address. Although it's nothing at all important.)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Billy had a GIDP? Has that EVER happened before? I'm serious. That must have been a hard hit ball to second for them to be able to turn it. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Billy had a GIDP? Has that EVER happened before? I'm serious. That must have been a hard hit ball to second for them to be able to turn it. Wow.
    I must be bad luck. I was listening to a game earlier in the season and he had a GIDP. They did bring in a lefty to face him, so he was hitting from the right side of the plate.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-17-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Felix Perez starts the Bats off right in the sixth with his third hit on the day. His average is up to .275. Nothing came of it.
    Jose Arredondo comes on. He gets a fly ball to left and then struck on Hermida looking and McDade swinging. Nice inning.
    Josh Fellhauer isn't quite back on the Interstate but could very well be on the entrance ramp; his average climbs to .087 as he leaves the yard to make it a 7-3 game.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-17-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Perez has opened up quite an early lead in the MiLPOD derby.

tex, your dissing of Fellhauer has paid off.

Arredondo back out for his second inning of work. Jose is throwing strikes and whiffing folks. Juan Diaz goes down swinging. Cedric Hunter follows suit. 4 Ks in a row now. Ryan Rohlinger completes the trifecta. Arredondo threw 25 pitches, 18 for strikes and struck out five. And the Reds have Manny Parra.

Arredondo's early season numbers: 8IP 2H 2ER OHR 7BB 15K.

Mark Prior will pitch the bottom of the 8th. He pitches a perfect inning, striking out one.

Phipps with his second double of the game. Schmidt's second single of the game brings Phipps home. 8-3.

Kevin Whalen will try to nail things down. He has been given a 5-run lead. The fist batter rips a single to left. A strike out and a fly ball follow. Clippers down to their final out. And Whelan strikes out Diaz. Bats take it by a count of 8-3.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-17-2013 at 02:23 PM.

nm

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Jason Donald with a single in the first. He is now hitting .294 on the season. I wonder what has to happen for him to get called up? IMO, he would provide more value than Izturis. Hitting-wise anyway. I really have no idea what type of defending skills he might possess.
    texasdave, the main reason I like Izturis over Donald is due solely to defensive ability. While Donald came up as a SS, he is said to possess well below average defensive skills. While Izturis is only an average defender at short, that is still much better than Donald. It's too bad we have such short benches due to the deep bullpens in today's baseball. Donald makes sense as a backup 2B and righty bat off the bench, but given that the man in the Izturis or Donald would have to play SS on Cozart's days off, Izturis makes more sense.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    He now has 11 in his career. Two this year. Two all of last year.

Good to finally see some hitting in AAA. Also, good to see what Arredondo is doing, even though I'd prefer fewer walks. I definitely think the Reds have the best combination of bullpen talent on the 25 man and BP organizational depth in all of baseball.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Update on our buddy El Raton: Ronald Torreyes is in AA. He got a late start to his season.
    In 8 at-bats he has four hits. He has drawn four walks and has been hit by a pitch. He has scored three runs and driven in one. His stat line: .500/.692/.500/1.192. I miss that little rodent.

Turn Off Ads?