Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Rest of Your Life"

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Thanks for the info, doc.
    I'm not a doctor. Just an informed non follower of the flock of sheople.
    Doctors would tell you it's more like 30%...
    Good for their kickbacks from Big Pharma.

Not their fault entirely either. They went to Medical school, meant to treat disease, not to prevent it.
    Got to go back before Jesus was born to find true physicians who knew how to prevent disease.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "The Rest of Your Life"

Can we leave Jesus out of this one.

I'm sorry but the "you don't need meds, you need a lifestyle change!" argument is absolutely infuriating to me.

I haven't dealt with depression, but I have dealt with very severe chronic pain almost every day of my life since I was 16 years old (I'm going to be 26 in two months) - nearly a decade.

There came a point when no amount of over-the-counter pain-killers or lame weak NSAIDS would help. The only thing that even puts a dent in it are narcotic painkillers. Mind you, I deal with this EVERY day of my life.

I could not tell you how many people have preached at me about how I shouldn't take pain medicine, it's not good for me, etc. My brother even went so far as to say my pain was God's way of telling me I needed to change something in my life. Seriously.

Here's the thing:

Fore those of you who are completely healthy and don't need medication, good for you! But you couldn't possibly begin to imagine what it's like to be in someone's shoes that do - because you aren't them. You don't have to get up every day and deal with what they have to.

It's always easy for people who aren't in pain to say "don't take pain meds!!1" or people who aren't depressed to say "you don't need those meds, man! Just cheer up already!" because you have NO IDEA what it's like.

If you don't need meds, that's great. But don't preach at those who do.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

When I want health advice I go to Redszone... no strike that... I go to Redszone for the donuts

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Quit painting with a broad brush? Really? Have you read your posts in this thread?

Where do you get your information? I ask because you seem seriously misinformed.
    Who is you?
    Yes, I read all my posts, I also pointed out again what I was agreeing with.

Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem as well as a superiority complex?!?!

Have you read YOUR posts in this thread?!?!? pfft!
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Can we leave Jesus out of this one.
    Sorry Bro, just meant it was "BC" (aka Before Christ/Jesus), you know when dudes like Socrates and Hippocrates were around.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    When I want health advice I go to Redszone... no strike that... I go to Redszone for the donuts
    I go to RZ for comic relief.

Taking medication for the rest of your life. That's me too.

And I'm hoping I take that medication for a long, long time. I'd rather be sensible and alive than stubborn and dead.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

After being Reds fans from 2000-2009, I'm surprised more folks around here aren't needing medication.

Seriously, whatever it takes to stay healthy and in your right mind.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I'm sorry but the "you don't need meds, you need a lifestyle change!" argument is absolutely infuriating to me.

I haven't dealt with depression, but I have dealt with very severe chronic pain almost every day of my life since I was 16 years old (I'm going to be 26 in two months) - nearly a decade.

There came a point when no amount of over-the-counter pain-killers or lame weak NSAIDS would help. The only thing that even puts a dent in it are narcotic painkillers. Mind you, I deal with this EVERY day of my life.
    If you don't mind me asking, what kind of pain are you in and did you get injured or is it from something else?
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    You mean like blood pressure medicine, right? Yes, it's scary that we just give people pills to thin their blood.

And don't get me started about insulin.
    Why is their blood pressure high? Is it their stressful job? Maybe their terrible eating/drinking habits? Maybe also because they NEVER exercise?

Nahhh... No matter... Just give em a pill to lower it. Problem solved!

It's not a black and white issue. Some people...many people, need medication. I said that in my original post, and I don't think anyone is arguing that.

What I am saying is, maybe we should look at external causes like environment, habits, etc, FIRST before reaching for the magic pills with side effects "that you will need for the rest of your life."

It's what we used to do until 15 or 20 years ago when the Pharmaceutical Companies swooped in and convinced everyone to try the magic pills first instead.

And it makes great business sense!

Example: Let's say Little Timmy has an artist's mind. Like many artists, he goes through periods of somewhat manic and depressive behavior. The depressive periods are when he is most creative, and the manic periods are when he refines what he just created. Could be a great artist, doomed/blessed to live the difficult life of a true artist.

...but he'll never get the chance. Timmy's been on Lithium for years now and is "doing great." All of Timmy's extreme highs and lows are gone. And so is the creativity. Timmy works on the assembly line and is "doing great." Just ask anyone.

Example 2: Little Timmy was abused as a child. As a result, he does not socialize well, drinks to excess on a nightly basis, and has severe heartburn from the drinking, and severe depression from the abuse. Should we look at these issues? Nah, just queue up a couple of scripts for Prilosec and Prozac. Now Little Timmy is better than ever! You know... as long as Timmy NEVER stops taking his meds.

"Cha-ching, baby!!!" -Big Pharm

And if all someone takes from what I am saying is, "don't give diabetics their insulin" then I don't know what to tell you. I think they are running a Honey Boo Boo marathon on TLC, maybe go check that out and forget about all of my "crazy talk" and "proud ignorance".
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 04-11-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

BLEEDS (12-26-2017)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Why is their blood pressure high? Is it their stressful job? Maybe their terrible eating/drinking habits? Maybe also because they NEVER exercise?

Nahhh... No matter... Just give em a pill to lower it. Problem solved!

It's not a black and white issue. Some people...many people, need medication. I said that in my original post, and I don't think anyone is arguing that.

What I am saying is, maybe we should look at external causes like environment, habits, etc, FIRST before reaching for the magic pills with side effects "that you will need for the rest of your life."

It's what we used to do until 15 or 20 years ago when the Pharmaceutical Companies swooped in and convinced everyone to try the magic pills first instead.

And it makes great business sense!

Example: Let's say Little Timmy has an artist's mind. Like many artists, he goes through periods of somewhat manic and depressive behavior. The depressive periods are when he is most creative, and the manic periods are when he refines what he just created. Could be a great artist, doomed/blessed to live the difficult life of a true artist.

...but he'll never get the chance. Timmy's been on Lithium for years now and is "doing great." All of Timmy's extreme highs and lows are gone. And so is the creativity. Timmy works on the assembly line and is "doing great." Just ask anyone.

Example 2: Little Timmy was abused as a child. As a result, he does not socialize well, drinks to excess on a nightly basis, and has severe heartburn from the drinking, and severe depression from the abuse. Should we look at these issues? Nah, just queue up a couple of scripts for Prilosec and Prozac. Now Little Timmy is better than ever! You know... as long as Timmy NEVER stops taking his meds.

"Cha-ching, baby!!!" -Big Pharm

And if all someone takes from what I am saying is, "don't give diabetics their insulin" then I don't know what to tell you. I think they are running a Honey Boo Boo marathon on TLC, maybe go check that out and forget about all of my "crazy talk" and "proud ignorance".
    Are you really suggesting that a person who is manic depressive should just accept it and be okay with being manic depressive?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Are you really suggesting that a person who is manic depressive should just accept it and be okay with being manic depressive?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

:

2nd time I have said as much in this thread. And yet still responses like this one. I'm beginning to understand more why the Pharmaceutical companies have been so successful.

...Although it is worth adding that if Big Pharm had its same stranglehold throughout history that it does now, then there would have never been any Pablo Picassos, no Janis, no Doors, no Nirvana, no Appetite For Destruction, no Pet Sounds, no Beatles, none of it. They'd all be working at Home Depot, calm as hindu cows. But really that's a separate discussion from this one.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 04-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

For years I looked for the right pill to make me ok. Never found it. Stopped looking. If it works for you, fine. But for the most part I agree with Bob. I think pharmaceuticals are being used to make us "fit" into an unnatural system.

In the 80's we moved away from "depth psychology" (Freud, Jung, Adler, etc...) toward cognitive psychology and meds. We're now in the middle of a hyperbiological era for mental health -- more brain than mind. Brain versus mind is less messy and less stigmatized. It's great that we've reached a place that mental health can be talked about openly. But that we have to speak of it in terms of serotonin and dopamine says we're not all the way there yet.

NM
    Last edited by SunDeck; 04-11-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    For years I looked for the right pill to make me ok. Never found it. Stopped looking. If it works for you, fine. But for the most part I agree with Bob. I think pharmaceuticals are being used to make us "fit" into an unnatural system.

In the 80's we moved away from "depth psychology" (Freud, Jung, Adler, etc...) toward cognitive psychology and meds. We're now in the middle of a hyperbiological era for mental health -- more brain than mind. Brain versus mind is less messy and less stigmatized. It's great that we've reached a place that mental health can be talked about openly. But that we have to speak of it in terms of serotonin and dopamine says we're not all the way there yet.
    Bravo!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Turn Off Ads?