Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much credit does Bako get?

How much credit does Bako get?

Dusty lets his catcher's call the entire game, he said he doesn't tell them anything about what to pitch.

Cueto was dominant with his location and his pitches, but I wonder how much credit goes to Bako for calling the game. On Redleg Nation there was a great post about how well the batters were setup:

http://redlegnation.com/2008/04/03/cuetos-first-start/

Most of the credit goes to Cueto because he was the one throwing the ball and hitting his spots, but Bako may deserve some kudos as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How much credit does Bako get?

Paul Bako definitely deserves credit. You need to have good communication with your pitcher, especially if it's a rookie. If we're talking about Harang having the outing yesterday, you don't give Bako hardly any credit. But Bako is a veteran and knows more about the hitters than Cueto would. Also, Bako remembers exactly how each batter reacts to each pitch and keeps that in the back of his mind, knowing to call varying pitches and to bring back the pitches that worked effectively during the previous at bat. Paul Bako is the best calling catcher we have.

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832 View Post
    Paul Bako definitely deserves credit. You need to have good communication with your pitcher, especially if it's a rookie. If we're talking about Harang having the outing yesterday, you don't give Bako hardly any credit. But Bako is a veteran and knows more about the hitters than Cueto would. Also, Bako remembers exactly how each batter reacts to each pitch and keeps that in the back of his mind, knowing to call varying pitches and to bring back the pitches that worked effectively during the previous at bat. Paul Bako is the best calling catcher we have.
    I think that is important with Cueto and Volquez. I really hope to see Bako on Sunday. He is a guy offensively that can't do anything so we can just throw him way in the 8th spot and forget about him.

When the double steal was on, I think in the 2nd game, he sent a rocket to third base that sound have resulted in a caught stealing except Edwin missed the tag.

I rather have Bako playing stellar defense and calling a good game than Javy behind the plate. I really never ever want to see Javier behind there, its ugly.

Schnickelfritz

I agree on Valentin. What little faith I've ever had in him was completely erased on Monday -- the trot, that "wild pitch" -- and I've never appreciated his lack of hustle anyhoo.

I remember last season there was a game when he was running towards home and thinking it was all a done deal, slowed down and raised his arms. Then he realized that the play was still on and he had to speed up to avoid getting tagged out.

No sir, don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    I agree on Valentin. What little faith I've ever had in him was completely erased on Monday -- the trot, that "wild pitch" -- and I've never appreciated his lack of hustle anyhoo.

I remember last season there was a game when he was running towards home and thinking it was all a done deal, slowed down and raised his arms. Then he realized that the play was still on and he had to speed up to avoid getting tagged out.

No sir, don't like him.
    Yep that would be him...about getting nailed at the plate trying to score from third on a single to the outfield. It was actually pretty funny...sad of course, but funny nonetheless.

Can he be stopped?

Does this mean carrying three catchers still once Ross is healthy? Would everyone be okay with that? I think it would need to mean a Freel or Hatte trade, though.

Bako had to call a near perfect game because he knew that the guys weren't hitting, including himself. If he had knocked in a few runs I would have breathed a little easier. I hope his bat wakes up soon because I like the way he calls a game.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    Does this mean carrying three catchers still once Ross is healthy? Would everyone be okay with that? I think it would need to mean a Freel or Hatte trade, though.
    I really think calling Valentin a catcher is a stretch. He's a pinch hitter, nothing more. I would rather not see the Reds take up a roster spot just for him, his bat isn't that good.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Am I the only guy on the board that can't look at Valentin without thinking that he is Turtle's big brother? (from Entourage)

Attachment 5232

Attachment 5233

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Am I the only guy on the board that can't look at Valentin without thinking that he is Turtle's big brother? (from Entourage)

Attachment 5232

Attachment 5233
    I always thought Javier kind of looked like a pig....I vote to start calling him "Porky" on this website. Maybe it will catch on and we will hear Marty and Thom calling "Porky ends it with a walk off homer in the 10th!"...O.k so maybe I am stretching it a little
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Dusty on Bako from Fay's blog

ON PAUL BAKO CALLING CUETO'S GAME: "You've got to credit Bako for knowing the opposition. That's Bako's forte. We need him to hit some, too. . . I told my catchers: You want to be the guy that pitchers like to throw to, always be aware of your personal ERA when you're catching."

Is the Ross / Arroyo relationship still strong?

How does Ross compare to Bako in terms of pitch selection?

Ross has a better arm. Ross has a better bat (jury still out). Ross is more athletic. BUT if Bako handles the young pitchers better than Ross, then...

I didnt see the whole game but I saw Cueto shake Bako off numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by NDReds9 View Post
    Is the Ross / Arroyo relationship still strong?

How does Ross compare to Bako in terms of pitch selection?

Ross has a better arm. Ross has a better bat (jury still out). Ross is more athletic. BUT if Bako handles the young pitchers better than Ross, then...
    Maybe when Ross returns we carry 3 catchers, Javy as a pinch hitter, and Bako gets the young guns and Ross gets Harang, Arroyo and Fogg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    Maybe when Ross returns we carry 3 catchers, Javy as a pinch hitter, and Bako gets the young guns and Ross gets Harang, Arroyo and Fogg.
    I could see that working out. I honestly feel that all of them are expendable, should the better-batting Ross not return. Cincy has been the beneficiary of a great offense for several years, and that's still the public perception. To meet that perception, we're gonna need at least some offense from the catching position (as well as some other places.)

Turn Off Ads?