Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Patterson and Hairston to minor league deals

Re: Reds sign Patterson and Hairston to minor league deals

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I figure Patterson's the favorite for CF on opening day. Honestly, I don't think too many would complain if Dusty put together a lineup that looked something like this (btw, this isn't exactly how I'd order them, but I think there's an off chance Dusty might try it):

Keppinger - SS
    Phillips - 2B
    Griffey - RF
    Dunn - LF
    Encarnacion - 3B
    Votto - 1B
    Patterson - CF
    TBA - C

Granted, it would get a little ugly with Gonzalez back in the fold, but it's not a horrible starting point. At some juncture I figure Jr. gets injured and Bruce steps in too. Patterson really could be a sleeper for the Reds. He's certainly got to be motivated at the moment given that he's only gotten a minor league contract. He could have himself a career year (something like a .333 OB and .500 SLG with 40 SB and top notch defense). I'm not saying it's likely, but, given the team's defensive needs I think it's worth shaking the bottle to see if there's any lightning in there.
    Exactly - if you can hide Patterson at the bottom of the lineu[ and let him use that speed and power the GAB will give him, with his defense....Its not the worst thing.

Its the other "depth" I hate (I'm looking at you Juan Castro!!)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

double post

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    you can hide Patterson at the bottom of the lineu[ and let him use that speed
    hit him ninth?

I've long argued that Dickerson bat there.

personally, I think that we could justify three guys (C, SS, CF) batting behind certain pitchers

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    you guys got what you wanted.

Wayne Krivsky should be fired immediately.
    WTF??? It's an effing minor league contract!!!

Give me a break with the alarmists around here. This move is ZERO risk, very good reward potential. It's unbelievable how some people react to these incredibly MINOR signings.

Again, I like the move. Maybe I should be fired from the ORG? :
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Give me a break with the alarmists around here. This move is ZERO risk, very good reward potential. It's unbelievable how some people react to these incredibly MINOR signings.

Obviously, the angst is over the thought of Patterson leading off on Opening Day.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That's my point as well.

I think Wayne should be praised for this move.

Patterson is quality depth at AAA. There's more to baseball than OBP. He's a nice bench player on a cheap contract. If Bruce can't beat Patterson out for the job, then Bruce doesn't deserve to play. Likewise, I don't have a problem at all with Patterson starting over Freel or Hopper. At least Patterson is a legitimate CF glove. He's only 28. Maybe this minor league contract will be the wake up call to get him motivated (or maybe not).
    Can't hurt anything.

Not excited about Harriston, but with Gonzo hurt, it's smart to get some infield depth. If you don't sign someone like Harriston, then if Keppinger gets hurt, who do we have that can even play? No one.
    I don't know Castro's status, but he's so washed up.
    I don't want to bring up some 19 year old minor leaguer to start at SS that will be overwhelmed.

IMO, this was a smart move by Wayne to get some depth for no cost. It won't get him GM of the year, but it's a nice move.
    In a vacuum, is this a nice move? Sure.

Should he be "praised" for it? No.

I'll reserve my praise for WK when he puts a winning team on the field. Everyone loves to take a ride on the Wayne Train based on a transaction by transaction move and use those moves as evidence of Wayne doing a good job.

72-90 last year. This year, not looking much better.

Obviously, the angst is over the thought of Patterson leading off on Opening Day.
    Keppinger SS
    Dunn LF
    Phillips 2B
    Griffey RF
    EdE 3B
    Votto 1B
    Patterson/Hopper CF
    catcher
    pitcher

However, as I contemplate a lineup that includes Patterson AND Gonzo AND Ross...well, there is only one number 8 spot.

Zero risk? Hardly. The risk is he (Patterson) is installed as the opening day CF despite a long track record of being unable to find 1B with a map. The risk is he does so while Bruce knocks the crap out of the ball all through ST AND then at Louisville, therefore wasting actual production. The risk is Patterson steals 5-6 bases in April WHILE making outs 70% of the time and Baker labeling his signing a success.

There is nothing Corey Patterson offers that cannot be duplicated by Dickerson except MLB experience. And to that I say Juan Castro has MLB experience, and the only time I want him on the field is as a coach.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Some good news:

Patterson only hit into 3 DPs last year in 461 ABs. Had 0 in 2006 in 463 ABs.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

It's akin to folks complaining about having to bend down to pick up a ten dollar bill on the ground that blows across their path when walking down the street.

"Well I can't buy the world with it... why bother?"

"It's only paper... gold is the real standard"

"I'll just stand here and wait for a C Note to come by before I do anything"

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Zero risk? Hardly. The risk is he (Patterson) is installed as the opening day CF despite a long track record of being unable to find 1B with a map. The risk is he does so while Bruce knocks the crap out of the ball all through ST AND then at Louisville, therefore wasting actual production. The risk is Patterson steals 5-6 bases in April WHILE making outs 70% of the time and Baker labeling his signing a success.

There is nothing Corey Patterson offers that cannot be duplicated by Dickerson except MLB experience. And to that I say Juan Castro has MLB experience, and the only time I want him on the field is as a coach.
    But one must consider the weight of the "except." You are predicting that Dickerson is a Patterson clone, but he could easily be a worse major league bat than Patterson because he has struggled in the minors with his bat, whereas Patterson had some minor league and spotty major league success. I don't understand the infatuation with a prospect in such scenarios with the flameout rates of so-called comparable performance expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Keppinger SS
    Dunn LF
    Phillips 2B
    Griffey RF
    EdE 3B
    Votto 1B
    Patterson/Hopper CF
    catcher
    pitcher
    I'd say there is very little chance of Baker running out that lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    However, as I contemplate a lineup that includes Patterson AND Gonzo AND Ross...well, there is only one number 8 spot.
    Good point.

I'd say there is very little chance of Baker running out that lineup.
    Agreed.

Turn Off Ads?