Turn Off Ads?

Thread: R.I.P. Dale Sommers aka "The Truckin Bozo"

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

R.I.P. Dale Sommers aka "The Truckin Bozo"

Dale passed this morning. A lot of people in my industry lost a good friend and advocate. He will be missed.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: R.I.P. Dale Sommers aka "The Truckin Bozo"

I can remember listening to him long ago when I would turn the radio dial at night. I'm sorry to hear of his passing. He seemed like a good guy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Of all the old-school 700 WLW guys (Cunningham, McConnell, Fuhrman, Scott, Burbank, etc.), he's the only one I actively disliked.

Still, sorry to see a long-time Cincinnati media guy go.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

From the Empire State to the Golden Gate...this is INTERSTATE 700!
    Go BLUE!!!

Man that sucks. Back in high school I had insomnia and couldn't sleep. I would lay in bed and listen to him every night. Sucks hard. I always thought it would be funny if he took over in the booth next to Marty after Joe died for two reasons 1. it would drive Marty crazy and 2. Fans of other major league teams would say "Wait...so the Reds broadcast team is hall of famer Marty Brennaman and a guy named the Truckin Bozo? "

His son Steve is still doing the overnight show. He had been on XM in the afternoons for about the last eight years and I always enjoyed listening to him.

A lot of people just don't realize what he did for the trucking industry. Heck, just helping guys stay awake on an all night drive is a great service in itself. He was only 68 and spent 50 years in radio. That's a heck of a career if you ask me.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Of all the old-school 700 WLW guys (Cunningham, McConnell, Fuhrman, Scott, Burbank, etc.), he's the only one I actively disliked.

Still, sorry to see a long-time Cincinnati media guy go.
    What the heck ya doin dude? The guy just passed. If you're going to comment at all just pay some respect. Is that so hard?

I'm not a trucker. I have nothing to do with that field. But, I've listenned to him more than once. And just having the chance to listen to someone that can help cross the boundaries between different poeople is something I definitely appreciate. All I can do is offer my sympathies to his family and friends. And say thank you.

He got me through several night shifts working by myself....I loved coming into work and popping down in my recliner( yes I had a recliner when I worked nights) and tuning into the bozo....dale always talked about things that were important to the truckers and he fought his azz off to help the truckers in any way shape or form that he could. Guy is going to be missed by many people.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    His son Steve is still doing the overnight show. He had been on XM in the afternoons for about the last eight years and I always enjoyed listening to him.

A lot of people just don't realize what he did for the trucking industry. Heck, just helping guys stay awake on an all night drive is a great service in itself. He was only 68 and spent 50 years in radio. That's a heck of a career if you ask me.
    I don't listen a lot but I think Steve does a great job and resembles his Dad a great deal on the air. How do you think he compares?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't listen a lot but I think Steve does a great job and resembles his Dad a great deal on the air. How do you think he compares?
    Steve is great, and probably offers more actual information than his dad did during the show, but Dale was just something altogether unique and irreplaceable. All those old guys doing trucking radio are kind of a dying breed. I don't listen to Steve much anymore because he's coming on about the time I'm going to bed these days.

Turn Off Ads?