Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I told you guys Owings wasn't worthy of our 5th spot

Re: I told you guys Owings wasn't worthy of our 5th spot

[QUOTE=LouisvilleCARDS;1902886]No the guys who are satisfied with Owings know he already has more wins at the 5 spot this year as we had ALL OF LAST YEAR at the spot. And also realize that the next start Homer gets, what, his 4th or 5th chance up here now? He hasn't proven anything himself to do any better thus far.

You asked for stats, FlightRick gave you a great breakdown earlier, and you didn't respond. I think most here realize the days when Owings would have been the NUMBER ONE STARTER a few years ago, back when Jimmy Haynes Her Way, and Danny "dig your own" Graves were anchoring the rotation. [B]Complaining about him being the 5th starter is kind of like complaining about the mud on your tires while your car is on fire

That says it all.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think anyone is satisfied with Owings as the 5th starter I wish our staff was so good Roy Holliday was the 5th starter but here in the real world that is never going to be the case. Owings is what he is the best 5th starter we have on the team and one of the better ones in the league and untill someone show they are better he is going to be the 5th starter. Im sorry you can't see that

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Who was it that guaranteed earlier in the season he stinks and wont win but 2 games all year, was it the OP?

No it was me and i said he would 3-9 by june.

Dang. I was WAYYYYYY oFFF

Hes a whopping 4-8.

You got me.

Owings is not the answer as a permanent 5th starter.

Which is why the reds are being dumb. Young kids in AAA should be rotating up to see what they can do. Especially to end once and for all this stupid bailey project.

[QUOTE=bounty37h;1902908]
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    No the guys who are satisfied with Owings know he already has more wins at the 5 spot this year as we had ALL OF LAST YEAR at the spot. And also realize that the next start Homer gets, what, his 4th or 5th chance up here now? He hasn't proven anything himself to do any better thus far.

You asked for stats, FlightRick gave you a great breakdown earlier, and you didn't respond. I think most here realize the days when Owings would have been the NUMBER ONE STARTER a few years ago, back when Jimmy Haynes Her Way, and Danny "dig your own" Graves were anchoring the rotation. [B]Complaining about him being the 5th starter is kind of like complaining about the mud on your tires while your car is on fire

That says it all.
    Its all part of the puzzle.

One hitter isnt going to magically turn this team into a world series contender.

There's no reason owings should be getting a full year as our 5th starter with the numbers and talent that he obviously lacks. I called this from the first time i saw him throw. The kid doesnt have what it takes. plain and simple. I think one of the big reasons he's still up here is because this teams bats are so bad. That his bat off the bench and bat in the games he starts is actually one of the better ones on the team. And thats sad.

6 IP 2 ER
    5.1 IP 1 ER
    6 IP 2 ER

These were Owings' three starts BEFORE last night's. Just because the guy had a bad start in 1 out of 4 doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve a spot in the rotation. Look at the numbers. He has kept us in the game in most of his starts. That's what a 5th starter is supposed to do.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Ownings is not the answer. He may be fine in a long relief role, or a spot start now and then. Bring Bailey up, give him 10-15 starts.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

[QUOTE=bgwilly31;1902923]
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post

Its all part of the puzzle.

One hitter isnt going to magically turn this team into a world series contender.

There's no reason owings should be getting a full year as our 5th starter with the numbers and talent that he obviously lacks
    . I called this from the first time i saw him throw. The kid doesnt have what it takes. plain and simple. I think one of the big reasons he's still up here is because this teams bats are so bad. That his bat off the bench and bat in the games he starts is actually one of the better ones on the team. And thats sad.
    Numbers that lack compared to who?

Quote Originally Posted by REDSEER View Post
    He has kept us in the game in most of his starts. That's what a 5th starter is supposed to do.
    In order to keep this team in most games he needs to be pitching a shut out. Your right though his numbers aren't that bad. But if they are losing most of the time he pitches it makes it easy to call for change.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I feel like the same guys who are satisfied with Owings are probably the guys who aren't sick of finishing in 5th place every year.
    Couldn't be more wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    If you're going to make the playoffs, you can't have what Owings gives you as the fifth starter. You gotta strive for better then that, some how some way. I don't know who it is, but as long as Owings is our 5th starter, we just aren't going to be able to contend.
    Owings will never be the reason the Reds don't make the playoffs.If you really think this your not paying attention.The Reds have had chances to win most of the games he has started.Even the bad starts.As mentioned before the team has far bigger problems.If you wanted to argue that last season the the 5th spot in the rotation was the reason the team failed then ok.Even when Owings struggles he has given 5 ip almost every start.Last season the 5th spot was good for about 3 to 4 innings and a multiple run deficit.It really hurt the team not only every 5th day but through the whole week.You can't say that about Owings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    In order to keep this team in most games he needs to be pitching a shut out. Your right though his numbers aren't that bad. But if they are losing most of the time he pitches it makes it easy to call for change.
    LOL I'm sorry but that is just funny. So you are saying if Owings comes out and only gives up 2 runs a game over his next 6 starts and loses 5 of them that is some how his fault?

If one of the other 4 pitchers goes down or gets traded then have Bailey in the 4 spot and Owings in the 5. You give either of those guys a little run support and this can be an exciting team to follow.
    Last edited by Jefferson24; 06-24-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    LOL I'm sorry but that is just funny. So you are saying if Owings comes out and only gives up 2 runs a game over his next 6 starts and loses 5 of them that is some how his fault?
    It's not his fault and he will have done all you can ask for. It just gets old seeing guys with twice as many loses as wins getting ran out there time after time.

[QUOTE=Lockdwn11;1902929]
    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post

Numbers that lack compared to who?
    Other 5th starters around the league. The guy just isnt a good pitcher. Instead of defending him by saying They all are are like that. Which somebody earlier proved they arent all like that. Explain to me why is he a good pitcher. What owings pitch is deadly>? Does he ever just OWN a guy at the plate>?

We all know there are bigger problems than our 5th starter.

But trying to argue our 5th starter isnt a problem at all.......

There's lots of pieces to a big red machine.
    They all have to be working correctly in order to recreate what once was. And right now owings is one of those faulty pieces.
    The main thing that ticks me off about the owings situation is i dont see why we dont give others a shot at making an impression.

Turn Off Ads?