Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Votto's Market Value?

What is Votto's Market Value?

Votto was due to become a free agent this winter (I believe). If he keeps up these kind of numbers this year, does anyone believe that he would've commanded a $240Million payday on the OPEN MARKET?

I like Vottomatic and believe that he's one of the better players in all of baseball right now. However, the Reds were absolutely electric last year while he was on the DL, he turns 30 in September, & he's the proud owner of one of the silliest contracts in professional sports history.

I think the Reds proved last summer that Joey is an unnecessay luxury extravagance for our small market franchise. With the injury bug striking him already last year & age 30 right around the corner the Reds could soon find themselves in familiar Griffey JR.-esque territory.

His current numbers are looking rather "pedestrian". He appears on par for about a .320 BA/25 HRs/85RBIs. Now, those were great numbers for the Giants to get out of a juiced-up Melky Cabrera last year. Heck, those #'s were even good back when "The Mayor" Sean Casey was in town. Unfortunately though, those are not MVP/The FRANCHISE type of #'s.

It's completely unrealistic to believe that Joey's gonna be MVP every year from now until his contract expires in 2024. Infact, I think we'd be lucky if he even earns half of the over $240 million that he is owed on the deal. We're not the Yankees or Mickey Mouse (Angels). Thus, I really believe that the $ could be much more wisely spent.

Not to mention the prospects the Reds could receive back in a trade haul could really replenish our farm system. And with the $ we'd save we could sign Choo/Latos/Bailey. Heck, we could give 'em all 5-6 year deals & still have enough $ left over to be players in free agency both this year and in year to come.

What do you guys think?? Discuss!!
    Last edited by Pacman Fever; 07-21-2013 at 11:29 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is Votto's Market Value?

How's BP gonna get all them ribeyes if they trade that Votto guy?

I've been saying for a while that a Votto contract in a ball club like the Reds is risky business. In 6 years when he is not playing like a top payroll kind of guy the Reds had better have a GREAT farm system to back them up because they won't be able to buy top talent to replace him.

5. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-21-2013)

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman Fever View Post
    Votto was due to become a free agent this winter (I believe). If he keeps up these kind of numbers this year, does anyone believe that he would've commanded a $240Million payday on the OPEN MARKET?

I like Vottomatic and believe that he's one of the better players in all of baseball right now. However, the Reds were absolutely electric last year while he was on the DL, he turns 30 in September, & he's the proud owner of one of the silliest contracts in professional sports history.

I think the Reds proved last summer that Joey is an unnecessay luxury extravagance for our small market franchise. With the injury bug striking him already last year & age 30 right around the corner the Reds could soon find themselves in familiar Griffey JR.-esque territory.

His current numbers are looking rather non "pedestrian". He appears on par for about a .320 BA/25 HRs/85RBIs. Now, those were great numbers for the Giants to get out of a juiced-up Melky Cabrera last year. Heck, those #'s were even good back when "The Mayor" Sean Casey was in town. Unfortunately though, those are not MVP/The FRANCHISE type of #'s.

It's completely unrealistic to believe that Joey's gonna be MVP every year from now until his contract expires in 2024. Infact, I think we'd be lucky if he even earns half of the over $240 million that he is owed on the deal. We're not the Yankees or Mickey Mouse (Angels) & I think the $ could be much more wisely spent.

Not to mention the prospects the Reds could receive back in a trade could really help replenish our farm system. With the $ we save we could sign Choo/Latos/Bailey. Heck, we could give 'em all 5-6 year deals & probably still have a couple bucks left over.

What do you guys think?? Discuss!!
    I looked up the number of players who had a .320 BA/25 HR season over the years.

Since 1901, that has been achieved 20 times.

Some of the names on the list are Gehrig, Foster, Kluszewski, Mantle, etc.

To me, it would be awesome for Votto to have a season like that.

YMMV

7. Likes:

joshua (07-29-2013),Larkin Fan (07-21-2013),LexRedsFan (07-23-2013),Raisor (07-22-2013),reds1869 (07-22-2013)

Love your Votto. He loves you.

Votto's contract has carried him from the most beloved Red player discussed on this board to a lightning rod polarized into camps. LOL. Redszone in action. Just about everybody was jazzed when the Reds signed Joey LT, now many people are beginning to waver or have fallen off the wagon altogether.

Joey earns his contract. It is not his fault this lineup is still not optimized to take advantage of his unique style. Because he has had kind of an inverse year to BP regarding hitting with RISP and 2 outs particularly (an insane way to measure a player given the sample size means randomness, luck, a ball just missing being/or getting caught skews the result enormously) he is getting ripped. Forget the fact he has had fewer opps than most 3 hitters because he is usually up with a man on first or no one on because the Reds don't have a 2 hitter worth spit, forget the fact that a only couple straight hits w/2 outs & RISP would alter that line significantly, forget he leads baseball in getting on base and avoiding outs, forget all that. He makes more money than anyone so he should out produce everyone on the team. WELL, HE DOES.

I can listen to arguments that the deal is an albatross waiting for the final 3-4 years, but right now and for the next few seasons I believe JV is earning every penny. Isolate his numbers from team dependent stats and he is still an amazing hitter. The Reds will be able to renegotiate his contract to ease the immediate impact in later years. Done all the time and most players agree to it because they want to win. If you expect to trade him for a large haul I think that highly unlikely. That is where his contract bogs down the options available with him. Unless the Reds pay a chunk of salary they won't get any huge return for him unless perhaps, the Dodgers or Yanks want him badly. He would likely bring a top prospect and another B or C+ prospect (no matter how good these prospects are would they even be a shadow of Joey in all likelihood?) - you lose out on more because of the length of that contract.

When the Reds decided to make that deal they knew they were keeping Joey, good or bad, for most of that time. They made him the core of the team for the next decade, and it's an almost irrevocable decision.

I just don't see how a 0.935 OPS and leading the league in times on base is "pedestrian". Sure, he may not be having a typical "Votto" year to this point, but there's still a bunch of baseball left.

Not to mention the whole package that Joey Votto is...the elite hitting, the excellent defending, the work ethic, the class, the character...if you're going to give a ton of money to someone, it's hard to think of anyone else more deserving.

You have all the rediculious contract now do
    To the steroid era and none of these guys or any
    Other guys in the next 5 yrs will live up to it because
    It's based on these big numbers and steroid use!
    I got so tired of hearing Griffey is hurt all the time and
    Arod, bonds, Sosa, are just awesome from the so called EXPERTS
    on ESPN. Truth is your body breaks down and u got to cheat on
    The fastball so the days of the 37 yr old hitting 330 avg, 49Hr, 155 RBI
    Are gone.

He's fine. Teams are still pitching "around" him (not just intentional walks). I just wish he'd bat a little better w/RISP or in "the clutch". Time will tell.
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanic#10 View Post
    Are gone.
    Good grief, they let the unibomber post on RaisorZone from prison!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanic#10 View Post
    Are gone.
    I don't usually like poetry, but this moved me.

15. Likes:

RedEye (07-23-2013),wolfboy (07-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I don't usually like poetry, but this moved me.
    screwed up iambic pentameter does that for me as well.

17. Likes:

RedEye (07-23-2013)

"When the Reds decided to make that deal they knew they were keeping Joey, good or bad, for most of that time. They made him the core of the team for the next decade, and it's an almost irrevocable decision."[/QUOTE]

OK RedLegJake. That's what you said. Now, me believing that the franchise would be doing itself a majoy favor by allowing the future Yankee (Sock/Angel/Dodger) to leave now........what makes you believe that "It's an almost irrevocable decision"?

Now, putting his need to "Accept a trade" part of his balloon-sized contract aside. I mean sure, he would have to accept a trade, that is part of his deal. But, do you agree at this point that his contract is virtually unmovable? I often do feel this way, especially if we wanted any type of Top Prospects in return for him.

Let me ask you, we're approaching the Trade Deadline here. What do you think the Reds could net for Joey right now? Or, would we just kinda have to accept trash in return vs. eating a large portion of his contract??

Everybody.....Chime In !!!
    Last edited by Pacman Fever; 07-22-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Trading Joey Votto for anything right now would really damage the franchise moving forward. What young player would want to sign an extension and what free agent would want to sign a long term deal in Cinci if the team traded away their franchise player a year after signing him to a 10 year deal?

20. Likes:

dfs (09-12-2013)

If you trade Votto I would have to rename my cat. I'm not willing to do that.

Turn Off Ads?