Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lohse a Cardinal

Lohse a Cardinal

Per Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Dispatch:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...6?OpenDocument

UPITER, Fla. -- The Cardinals moved to address their question-filled starting rotation Thursday by reaching agreement with free agent righthander Kyle Lohse on a one-year contract, pending Lohse passing a team physical Friday. Terms were not disclosed.

The move occurs three days after the Cardinals suggested four-fifths of their projected season-ending rotation would be unavailable opening day. Joel Pineiro’s inability to make Wednesday’s scheduled start due to recurring shoulder stiffness served as the catalyst for Thursday’s signing, as general manager John Mozeliak initiated negotiations with Lohse’s agent, Scott Boras.

The Cardinals have virtually ruled out Matt Clement’s availability for opening day, and Mark Mulder and Chris Carpenter continue to rehab from shoulder and elbow surgery, respectively.

Lohse, 29, constructed a 9-12 record and 4.62 ERA while splitting last season between the Cincinnati Reds and the Philadelphia Phillies. Just as importantly, he made 34 starts and worked 192 2/3 innings.

With their rotation in flux, the Cardinals have scheduled Clayton Mortensen for Friday's start in Vero Beach against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Mortensen never has pitched above Class A and was made the 36th overall pick of last June’s amateur draft.

Adam Wainwright and Braden Looper entered Thursday as the only pitchers considered locks for the Redbirds’ Opening Day rotation. A scrum including Anthony Reyes, Brad Thompson, Todd Wellemeyer, Kyle McClellan and Mike Parisi was under consideration.

Lohse’s best seasons came with the Minnesota Twins in 2002-03 when he won 27 games combined. Just as significant, Lohse worked 201 innings in 2003 and 194 in 2004. He has made at least 30 starts in five of the last six seasons.

Lohse could report to the team’s spring training headquarters as early as Friday afternoon.

Originally projected as the free agent market’s second-most attractive pitcher, Lohse languished as Carlos Silva, rated the market’s top pitcher, became the only arm to receive a multi-year deal.

The Cardinals, meanwhile, passed on several low-budget options, including Jon Lieber, Josh Fogg, Sidney Ponson and Bartolo Colon.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lohse a Cardinal

Not a bad idea for the Cards. I wonder what they paid.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Great pick-up for the Cards. It's what they do. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up solid numbers there.

If they got him for 3M, it will be interesting to follow his season and compare his with Fogg's. Me, personally, I'd rather spend 3M on Lohse, than 1M on Fogg.

We'll see.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Great pick-up for the Cards. It's what they do. I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up solid numbers there.

If they got him for 3M, it will be interesting to follow his season and compare his with Fogg's. Me, personally, I'd rather spend 3M on Lohse, than 1M on Fogg.

We'll see.
    I agree. Lohse is basicaly a league average starter, Fogg something less.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I agree. Lohse is basicaly a league average starter, Fogg something less.
    I really want to know what St. Louis is paying him.

If the money's at all close, the Fogg deal will look absolutely pathetic.

Lohse and Foggs major league careers look about the same except for Lohse being able to strikeout more batters.

won't be long before good kyle always shows up against the reds..

guess he'd now be bad kyle when that happens..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

The better the pitching depth, all the better. But, I'm not going to groan over a Lohse-type at $3 million slipping past the Reds. Fogg at $1 million can be pushed from the rotation in the event Volquez, Belisle, and Cueto can push hard enough. A three million dollar investment would need much more push.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Lohse will also have Dave Duncan working with him....Fogg...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

We'll see.
    FYI - Fogg can be cut. He gets paid ~$100K for spring training and if he doesn't make the team the rest of his $1M salary does not get paid.

how about Affeldt? he stinks on ice right now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Lohse will also have Dave Duncan working with him....Fogg...not so much.
    That damn guy is an evil genious or something.

Lohse > Fogg + Affeldt

priceless.

last year everyone was screaming how badly Lohse sucked.

edit: that doesn;t mean that you TRF or Wilymorocks, or anyone else in this thread, really were the ones screaming.
    Last edited by pedro; 03-13-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    priceless.

last year everyone was screaming how badly Lohse sucked.
    1. good one

2. Last winter I thought Lohse was primed for a big year. I was wrong

3. Folks, the Cardinals and the Astros are in big trouble. The Cubs, Brewers & Reds are the top of the NL Central for the next few years.

Turn Off Ads?