Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: I was wrong about....

Re: I was wrong about....

1. Didn't think Phillips would improve his plate discipline
    2. I really didn't think Dusty Baker was as bad as Cubs fans screamed. He's not, he's worse.
    3. I thought maybe Walt would do us some good.
    4. I thought Jay Bruce would hit .280 with 30+ HR's this year.
    5. I thought Harang would have a pretty good bounce back year.
    6. I thought Edwin would break out this year as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong about....
    You had me at hello.

You had me at hello!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I really thought that Bob Castellini was going to be a great owner. I think that he wants to own a winner, but has no idea of how to go about doing so.
    That is mine, as well. It is also sounding like he likes to meddle in things, so we now have George Steinbrenner, but without the money and winning and stuff. In other words, a simply bad owner.

Haunted by walks

Once I was wrong about Raisor being wrong but the replay showed otherwise.

I was wrong about:
    1. Dusty not being so bad; I thought that his rapport with the players would allow them to play better--no matter how bad his in game managing is.
    2. Bob Castellini not being Carl Linder Jr. To be a successful owner, sometimes you have to spend a little $$$ up front and be a civic cheerleader not a civic downer (i.e. don't whine that your team doesn't have a big market--you make your own market).
    3. Willie Taveras. He just stunk.
    Where we gonna go?

All dyslexics must untie!

I once thought I was wrong about something, but then after careful consideration I realized...

I was wrong

At least the Pirate's organization is still the worst...oops

What's it gona take to finally pull the Reds out of the ditch? Volquez and Cueto looked so promising, but young pitching can go "poof" just like that

Meanwhile the Blazers and the Vikings are franchises on the rise so my attention is being diverted away from Cincy baseball. I still tune into the games, but I'll see a new player and ask myself...when did they get this guy? If Dusty and Walt can't get things turned around, who else is out there that can...and is willing to try?

I don't think there's a right answer to these rhetorical questions, but a lot of "wrong" answers have already been tried...
    Never overlook the obvious

1. David Weathers - I thought "reality" would catch up to Stormy two years ago. I was very wrong. Weathers always battled and did a fine job for this franchise.

2. Jay Bruce - I didn't see this as a breakout year for Jay, but I did expect solid improvement

3. Walt Jocketty - I thought that Walt would come up with a blockbuster by the trade deadline that would put his stamp on this franchise and signify the direction he would take this franchise. Unfortunatley, I believe the Rolen deal fulfilled only the second part and I am less than immpressed to say the least. I was hoping for a turnaround, but just got more of the same.

I never thought that the Reds offense could get worse with time, but the past two seasons has proved me wrong.

Code:
    August 22, 2003
    		W 	L	 PCT 	GB 	RS  RA DIFF
    Cincinnati 	57 	70 	.449 	9.5 	568 693 -125

August 22, 2004
    Cincinnati 	59 	64 	.480 	22.5 	582 690 -108

August 22, 2005
    Cincinnati 	57 	67 	.460 	21.5 	646 690 -44

August 22, 2006
    Cincinnati 	66 	60 	.524 	1 	634 642 -8

August 22, 2007
    Cincinnati 	56 	70 	.444 	9.5  	603 675 -72 
    Pittsburgh 	54 	71 	.432 	11  	566 641 -75

August 22, 2008	
    		W	 L 	PCT 	GB 	RS  RA DIFF
    Pittsburgh 	57 	71 	.445 	21 	593 693 -100 
    Cincinnati 	57 	72 	.442 	21.5 	545 648 -103 

August 22, 2009
    		W 	L 	PCT 	GB 	RS  RA DIFF
    Pittsburgh 	51 	70 	.421 	17.5 	502 557 -55 
    Cincinnati 	51 	71 	.418 	18 	476 581 -105
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 08-22-2009 at 11:42 PM.

I thought they'd win 82 games. I thought Willy couldn't possibly be as bad as Corey. I thought we'd spend money. I thought, I thought, I thought. I was wrong.

Votto. I thought he'd take a step backwards this year.

I was wrong about EE, but only previous to last year. After last year, I pretty much figured he'd wind up a disappointment.

But I hate that I was right about most everything else. I predicted Bruce to have a tough year based mostly on his lack of plate discipline. I thought Volquez would take a big step back, but not the TJ surgery. I thought the offense would be the worst I've seen in Cincy in my lifetime. I knew Gonzo would be awful, and Taveras was about as predictable as it gets.

I did think Jocketty would be better, but I'm not sure he's worked under a situation similar to what the Reds face right now. He could be one of those guys who can be great in certain situations, but clueless anywhere else.... like a doctor outside of the medicine they practice.

And mostly I was right about Castellini the day he bought the Reds. If there was ever anything I wish I was completely wrong about, that would be it. I don't think this organization has the first clue how to be successful in today's world of baseball. The Reds are pretty much the Pirates these days, and that's sad because unlike Pittsburgh we happen to have the worst franchise in the NFL (maybe even all professional sports). Maybe I'll catch Favre fever up here in the Land of Lakes.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

What was Raisor wrong about?

Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I was wrong about Brook Jacoby. I thought the time he spent with Rudy Jaramillo would have taught him something. I was dead wrong.
    Touche' TC good call. I just got done sending someone a PM about the likelihood of him getting his walking papers at the end of the season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I was wrong when I thought that the Reds could never play so badly for so long that I would lose interest in them.
    Man, is that ever true. At the moment the Reds are even worse than the Pirates.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I was wrong in thinking for a moment that the Josh Hamilton trade was decent.

I was wrong in thinking that Bruce would have a decent season.

I was wrong in thinking that Dusty "can't be that bad".

I was wrong in thinking that Jerry Hairston knew how to play baseball.

I was wrong in thinking that RedsZone was a decent place to come and discuss things but all that it seems like now is a giant place for people to scream LET'S TRADE X PLAYER. Yeah, that's going to solve things. Let's just ****ing trade everyone.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Touche' TC good call. I just got done sending someone a PM about the likelihood of him getting his walking papers at the end of the season.
    Hard to say what the current front office is thinking. Honestly, at the end of the year meeting with Dusty and Walt, I can not think of one thing he could lay on the table to save his job.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?