Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Redszone Dynasty League 2013 -- Season 5

Re: Redszone Dynasty League 2013 -- Season 5

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I've found rebuilding to be pretty difficult in this league. There are only a few teams buying each year because of the dominance by AD and Dan and a lot of sellers--it's been a perpetual buyer's market...
    In my years of fantasy sports, one lesson I've learned is that "win now" is the best philosophy at least 9 times out of 10. I wasn't even all that desperate when I decided to rebuild. It's just that I saw a window no one else was going through (at the time) and figured it would be my best route.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've found rebuilding to be pretty difficult in this league. There are only a few teams buying each year because of the dominance by AD and Dan and a lot of sellers--it's been a perpetual buyer's market...
    Yes I agree with you. It is tougher to rebuild in this league than in most other leagues. When I set this league up I made an effort to ensure that all the team owners were experienced, skilled fantasy baseball players. The competition in this league is top-notch. It makes it much more challenging and also more rewarding than beating up on a Yahoo Public League that is for sure. Everybody in our league is knowledgeable about baseball so it is a hard league to win.

As my team and Dan's team and mbgrayson's team get older it opens up opportunities for other teams to knock us off our perch. I imagine the All-Time Standings will look much different a few years from now.

If you think it is a buyer's market then you should buy, buy, buy! I agree to some extent that the market favors buyers right now, but if you have something good to trade you can find some good deals, especially early in the season when most people feel they have a chance to win and have not gone into rebuilding mode yet.

I have found the price for top prospects to be very high. I think the success of Mike Trout and Bryce Harper will drive the value of top prospects even higher this year because everyone will be scrambling to find the next superstar rookie (even though a Mike Trout only comes around once every twenty years or so).

I hope Yahoo enables minor league rosters soon. That should give teams another opportunity to build a strong foundation for the future.

I posted this information after the season in last year's league thread, but I am guessing many of you did not see this. I will post it again here where it fits in better. I also added quite a bit of extra info.

Well now we entering the 5th season of our dynasty league. Remember way back at the beginning when we had our original draft? We drafted 29 players each. How many of those players are still on your team?

13 -- CRF2000: Mark Teixeira, Alfonso Soriano, Brandon Phillips, Jacoby Ellsbury, Hunter Pence, Michael Young, Felix Hernandez, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Josh Johnson, Paul Konerko, Jed Lowrie, Mark Buehrle

8 -- mgbrayson: Jose Reyes, Prince Fielder, Chad Billingsley, Andre Ethier, Mike Napoli, Jered Weaver, Elvis Andrus, Cody Ross

8 -- Atomic Dumpling: David Wright, Johan Santana, CC Sabathia, Carl Crawford, Matt Kemp, Victor Martinez, Robinson Cano, Billy Butler

8 -- stephenk29: Miguel Cabrera, Chase Utley, Nick Markakis, Justin Morneau, Jon Lester, James Shields, Adam Wainwright, AJ Pierzynski

6 -- Gilpdawg: Alex Rios, Curtis Granderson, Jhonny Peralta, Edinson Volquez, Torii Hunter

4 -- redsfandan: Hanley Ramirez, Justin Upton, Clayton Kershaw, James McDonald

4 -- GAllen5862: Alex Rodriguez, Chris Young (OF), Adam Lind, Tommy Hanson

3 -- BaseCloggers: David Ortiz, Josh Beckett, Trevor Cahill

2 -- TRF's debacle: Joey Votto, Ryan Ludwick

1 -- camisadelgolf: B.J. Upton

1 -- RedsManRick: Jose Valverde

0 -- Nate:

There were 29 rounds in the draft, but we have 30 man rosters now.

That means 58 out of the original 348 draft picks are still with the team that drafted them. That is a 16.7% rate.

Some of these guys might have been dropped or traded, then reacquired rather than having been on the team without interruption ever since the draft.

GAllen5862's team was drafted by WMR before the 2009 season. GAllen5862 took over for the 2011 season.
    RedsManRick's team was drafted by reds77 before the 2009 season. RedsManRick took over for the 2011 season.

CRF2000 still has almost half of his original 29 man roster. Look at those pitchers. He made some great draft picks that are still the foundation of his excellent pitching rotation.

Nate has Grant Balfour on his team and he also drafted him in the initial draft, but he has not had him continuously ever since the draft.
    gilpdawg drafted Zack Greinke in the 2009 draft, traded him away and reacquired him and still has him now.
    camisadelgolf actually drafted Chase Headley twice (2009 initial draft and the 2011 draft) and still has him now.

camisadelgolf also drafted Jeremy Hellickson twice (2009 initial draft and the 2010 draft) but he no longer has him.

AJ Burnett has been drafted three times in four years. In 2009 by reds77, in 2011 by GAllen5862, and in 2012 by GAllen5862 again.

The lowest pick of the original draft still remaining with his original team is Cody Ross. He was the 340th player selected in the draft with the 4th pick of the 29th and final round by mbgrayson.

It seems to me that our teams have changed a LOT over the years. Most of the players from the early rounds are still stars, so if they are not still on their original teams it is because they were traded. Once you get past the first half-dozen rounds of the draft you start seeing quite a few dud picks and players that have gotten too old to remain productive and were dropped.

Almost all of the guys on the list were already established star players at the time of the draft. Very few of them were prospects that have since blossomed into stars -- Justin Upton, Clayton Kershaw, Billy Butler.

Justin Verlander wasn't drafted until the 12th round.

How many will remain a year from now?

How long until no draftees remain with their original teams?

Here are some late round picks that turned to gold:

11th round: Matt Cain, Zack Greinke
    12th round: Justin Verlander, Johnny Cueto
    13th round: Clayton Kershaw, Pablo Sandoval
    15th round: Adam Jones
    16th round: Josh Johnson, Billy Butler
    18th round: Jered Weaver
    24th round: Jordan Zimmerman, Elvis Andrus, Chase Headley, Aaron Hill
    25th round: Ian Kennedy
    26th round: Hiroki Kiroda
    28th round: Yadier Molina, Andrew McCutchen
    29th round: Jeremy Hellickson
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 02-02-2013 at 01:48 AM.

5. Likes:

Gallen5862 (02-02-2013)

I have no regrets about losing Hellickson twice. His K-rate leaves a lot to be desired. Although I traded him, my favorite pick was Matt Moore since a couple people told me it was such a huge overdraft. I ended up trading him in the deal that got me Freddie Freeman (whom I traded in a deal for Wil Myers, Dylan Bundy, and Carlos Marmol).

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I have no regrets about losing Hellickson twice. His K-rate leaves a lot to be desired. Although I traded him, my favorite pick was Matt Moore since a couple people told me it was such a huge overdraft. I ended up trading him in the deal that got me Freddie Freeman (whom I traded in a deal for Wil Myers, Dylan Bundy, and Carlos Marmol).
    I remember that Freddie Freeman trade. It helped me last year but should be a clear win for you starting this year or maybe next year. I agree that Hellickson's saber stats don't look nearly as good as his fantasy stats.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 02-03-2013 at 02:23 AM.

I like finding waiver gems more than the draft, and in fact, i have little trick i will not reveal that helps even more.

Medlen, Miley, Strailey, Simmons and i think Frazier were all waiver wire pickups for me. Also Jim Johnson and Alex Cobb I think. I even think EE was gotten from there as well.

I really like my SP going forward.. could use another closer though.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

well for all the starting pitching i have a don't really have a solid /good closer.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I like finding waiver gems more than the draft, and in fact, i have little trick i will not reveal that helps even more.

Medlen, Miley, Strailey, Simmons and i think Frazier were all waiver wire pickups for me. Also Jim Johnson and Alex Cobb I think. I even think EE was gotten from there as well.

I really like my SP going forward.. could use another closer though.
    I will spend every waking moment trying to crack your code. I shall not rest until the riddle is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    well for all the starting pitching i have a don't really have a solid /good closer.
    That is how trades are born...

Your ERA and WHIP have been fantastic every year. For some reason it hasn't translated into good Wins, Saves and Strikeout totals. Those starting pitchers you drafted have been dominant and you have added on some good ones since then too.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 02-04-2013 at 07:01 PM.

I think the most interesting player in the above list is James McDonald--he had to have been dropped at some point, right?
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 02-05-2013 at 11:28 AM.

I think the most interesting player in the above list is James McDonald--he had to have been dropped at some point, right?
    Confirmed. McDonald was picked up by redsfandan on May 1st, 2012 which brought him back to the team that selected him in our inaugural draft.

Picking my four players to drop felt like pulling teeth. I probably could've gotten something in trade for them.

Picking my four players to drop felt like pulling teeth. I probably could've gotten something in trade for them.
    Yeah it hurts to give away good players. I will be OK for getting down to 30 players this week, but come draft time I don't know who I will cut in order to make my draft picks. Maybe some trades between now and the draft will make my decisions easier.

Oh, I just assumed we couldn't make trades since the rosters are locked.

Oh, I just assumed we couldn't make trades since the rosters are locked.
    As soon as everybody signs up for the league I will be able to enter everyone's rosters. That is why I need to know which players you need to drop to get down to the maximum 30 players on your roster.

After I get the rosters entered (hopefully by Saturday if everyone sends me their drops by then as I requested) you will be able to make trades right away. The draft won't be for another month from now. So you will have plenty of time to make trades before the draft.

18. Likes:

camisadelgolf (02-07-2013)

Turn Off Ads?