Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lancaster on Sports Rock (Ch. 5)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Lancaster on Sports Rock (Ch. 5)

Updates to follow.

- Says Alex Gonzalez signing was a good move. Not going to sell tickets, but its a move that will shore up the middle infield defense. People overlook that, but it helps to make outs and keep starters in the game longer.

- Says to not expect Homer Bailey up immediately, but that it could be in the cards for him to be a big contributor this year. Feels that the team likes its options with Elizardo and Belisle as part of the starting rotation

- Thinks Josh Hamilton was a low-risk signing, but don't expect him to be the miracle answer as a 3rd or even 4th outfielder. Best-case scenario is him as a 25th man off the bench for the team.

Overall not too much, but it was nice seeing Marc one last time before he heads off towards the Tampa St. Pete area.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 01-08-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lancaster on Sports Rock (Ch. 5)

Now?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Now?

It's over now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You know, having lived in a good number of cities, I can say with authority that local news is awful everywhere. Ken broo is actually one of the better local sports guys I've seen. I can't believe he's still around, he looks exactly the same as he did when I was a kid.

I also like Popovich actually, but I think that's because his olympic reports were hilarious.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    You know, having lived in a good number of cities, I can say with authority that local news is awful everywhere. Ken broo is actually one of the better local sports guys I've seen. I can't believe he's still around, he looks exactly the same as he did when I was a kid.

I also like Popovich actually, but I think that's because his olympic reports were hilarious.
    You should check out the Dayton news sometime. It's an absolute riot.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Feels that the team likes its options with Elizardo and Belisle as part of the starting rotation.
    Matt "and" EZ in the rotation? That's a stretch. I consider the "Belisle as starter" argument the same way as the old "Dennys Reyes should've been a starter" debate. Neither pitcher's physiology will allow for 100+ innings/season, much less 200

Perhaps Belisle "and" Ramirez can tag team a starting spot. Or (more likely) one of them will keep that rotation "seat" warm for Homer
    Last edited by gm; 01-08-2007 at 06:50 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Matt "and" EZ in the rotation? That's a stretch. I consider the "Belisle as starter" argument the same way as the old "Dennys Reyes should've been a starter" debate. Neither pitcher's physiology will allow for 100+ innings/season, much less 200

Perhaps Belisle "and" Ramirez can tag team a starting spot. Or (more likely) one of them will keep that rotation "seat" warm for Homer
    Ideally EZ or Belisle proves an adequate starter and Milton keeps a spot warm for Bailey.
    That way in 2008 we have 4 starting slots filled already with young arms.

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post

I don't know. Ramirez is young and had a decent run before he was abused and had arm trouble. It could be a first time around the league mirage and likely is, but at his age and salary he deserves another look. Belisle was once a highly rated prospect in Atlanta who has stalled in his development (largely from being a mop-up man with no clear developmental plan IMO).

Many on here (myself included) wish the Reds would go after guys with these types of profiles from other organizations to give the Reds a group of these types with the thought that dependable guy could emerge and the others could possibly slide into some key roles in the pen.

IMO these types are much better bets than guy who has started for 5 years with little success and is on the verge of becoming the team's 5th highest paid player in Arbitration.

Turn Off Ads?