Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: whats with attendance?

whats with attendance?

I know we've had on going problems, and I don't mean to be a dead horse but st Louis had nearly double our attendance when we played there and the fact we are close to the worst streak of futility (pirates) is ridiculous. What's the deal with this? I haven't lived in Cincinnati in quite some time but its embarrassing what's the deal?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: whats with attendance?

I think they're on pace to break the single-season attendance record at GABP this season, not that that is saying much
    "I had a cigar in my back pocket...I didn't wanna break it." - Bartholomew "Bump" Bailey

Attendance is a long term function of winning. The Cards have been winning for a long time. It doesn't shock me at all the the folks in St. Louis care more than the folks in cincy.

Lots of folks remember the Linder years. Just to pile on here.....They are celebrating the quickest season to 2 million at GAB tonight and you know what the team is doing? .....dollar hot dogs. No lie. Straight out of the book of John Allen.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Plus, St. Louis (and surrounding areas) have a higher population. Someone smarter than me should figure out what is the percentage of the population when comparing Reds and Cardinals average attendance levels.

That number is problematic because you'd have to figure out how many fans of the visiting team are traveling to St Louis, etc. But it would still give a more fair comparison.

For a Level Playing Field

City population
    * Cincy = 296,223
    * St. L = 318,069

Metro Area
    * Cincy = 2.1 million
    * St. L = 2.9 million

Embarrassed by my fav team's MLB game attendance? If so, then my life is pretty stress free lol.

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-05-2013),NebraskaRed (09-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Attendance is a long term function of winning. The Cards have been winning for a long time. It doesn't shock me at all the the folks in St. Louis care more than the folks in cincy.

Lots of folks remember the Linder years. Just to pile on here.....They are celebrating the quickest season to 2 million at GAB tonight and you know what the team is doing? .....dollar hot dogs. No lie. Straight out of the book of John Allen.
    When it was Lindner folks remembered the lockout, then prior it was the 81 strike, prior to that it was probably Dick Wagner, prior to that Crosley was a dangerous area, prior to that the Reds couldn't score and the Deacon loved defense more than offense, all the way back to 1869 they stopped coming because they lost a couple of games.

Seems folks in Cincinnati have holding a grudge down pretty well to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    City population
    * Cincy = 296,223
    * St. L = 318,069

Metro Area
    * Cincy = 2.1 million
    * St. L = 2.9 million

Embarrassed by my fav team's MLB game attendance? If so, then my life is pretty stress free lol.
    Also,

Cincy= zero playoff wins since 1995.
    St. Louis = 57 playoff wins , 3 World Series appearances, and 2 world series championships since 1995.

But yeah, let's blame the fans.

"but but... Bob is REALLY REALLY trying REALLY hard!!!!1111"

My crackhead cousin is really trying hard too. He doesn't get any money either.

tl;dr
    Win, or quit yer yappin' when no one shows up to watch you blow it. Again.

EDIT: I have been to 6 games already this year, by the way. But I'll be darned if a bunch of millionaires who can't seem to win when it counts, are going to give me a guilt trip because their taxpayer paid palace isn't full on a Wednesday night. BIG thumbs down there.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 09-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    When it was Lindner folks remembered the lockout, then prior it was the 81 strike, prior to that it was probably Dick Wagner, prior to that Crosley was a dangerous area, prior to that the Reds couldn't score and the Deacon loved defense more than offense, all the way back to 1869 they stopped coming because they lost a couple of games.

Seems folks in Cincinnati have holding a grudge down pretty well to me.
    The last time the Reds won a playoff game, Seattle rock and flannels were all the rage, and Mel Gibson won a bunch of awards for his new film, Braveheart.

But we can blame the fans if that is what you are in to.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

11. Likes:

dfs (09-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The last time the Reds won a playoff game, Seattle rock and flannels were all the rage, and Mel Gibson won a bunch of awards for his new film, Braveheart.

But we can blame the fans if that is what you are in to.
    The Reds have had attendance trouble their whole existence, prior to the grunge movement too. Last MLB team to top a million, only current team to have it's top attendance year in the 70's.

It's why they almost moved in the 30's and the 50's, let's at least acknowledge that fact before we draw an imaginary line in 1995 saying they "used to show up" because they only did briefly

Bob, you are incorrect, the score is 2 playoff wins to 57 st. louis wins. Big difference.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    City population
    * Cincy = 296,223
    * St. L = 318,069

Metro Area
    * Cincy = 2.1 million
    * St. L = 2.9 million

When you include Dayton in the cincy metro (which it probably will be next census) cin-day has about 3.1 million. Add on lexington, which can be driven even in a work day, its more like 3.7 million. Make it a two hour radius around both cities and the population for the reds is about 7.5 mil. While that same radius with st. Louis would only add another 200,000 to 300,000.

The "cincy's to small" argument is untrue.

I am now completely resigned to the fact that school in session is an almighty, the almighty, force behind this yearly drop. If it is this drastic this year, it will always be this way. If they win the WS this year (fingers crossed), I can see another 3-5k in season ticket sales which would make a 20k night a 25k night, etc. For the season they could reach 35-37k per game which would be top 10 in baseball, I'm sure. Remember one factor as well, that the stadium only seats 42k or something. If it had another 10k seats like the doyers do, the sell out games would pickup the dud games and there would be more better seats (more better!).

Last years NL Playoff teams

Washington - Up - 260,478
    San Francisco - DOWN 46,598
    Atlanta - UP 165,272
    Cincinnati - UP 133,833
    St. Louis - UP 78,868

IF the Reds continue to draw they will draw about 2.5 million, a number they have reached 4 times prior... FOUR TIMES and the last was 2000 and the three before that were 76-78

The Cards have topped that 26 times including the last 18 years in a row.

3 things come to mind here. 1. The Dayton Dragons are a huge drawl. 2. The Louisville Bats. 3. Fox Sport Ohio. Would you rather spend $10 at a sports bar, nothing while watching at home, or drop $200 to go down and watch in person?

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    3 things come to mind here. 1. The Dayton Dragons are a huge drawl. 2. The Louisville Bats. 3. Fox Sport Ohio. Would you rather spend $10 at a sports bar, nothing while watching at home, or drop $200 to go down and watch in person?
    Even more too... look at a map of St Louis and a map of Cincinnati, draw a 250 mile circle around each city, now imagine getting in a car and driving within that circle. From Cincinnati name all the major league teams in all sports, all the colleges with their sports (IU, UK, UC, OSU, Louisville)

Then do it from St Louis.

A lot less

Turn Off Ads?