Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Your comfort level with Cozart (non-poll poll)

Re: Your comfort level with Cozart (non-poll poll)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I've always thought Alex Gonzalez. Similar steady glove, some OB issues and enough power to put up double digit HR. Agon was a little past it here and had family and injury issues limiting him, but he's been a pretty darned good SS and I think Cozart would be a great success if he has a similar career.
    I'm not sure I see that. I see Gonzo with a better glove and less stick and Cozart with less glove and more stick.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm not sure I see that. I see Gonzo with a better glove and less stick and Cozart with less glove and more stick.
    I think people under-rate Cozart's defense. He was picked as a defense first SS. The low OBP 15 HR power compares well with AGon. Cozart may steal a few more bases, but it won't be a huge part of his game IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think people under-rate Cozart's defense. He was picked as a defense first SS. The low OBP 15 HR power compares well with AGon. Cozart may steal a few more bases, but it won't be a huge part of his game IMO.
    Yeah, but as Doug noted before, Cozart didn't really figure out how to hit until later in the minors. In 2011, his slg was .467, and even though it's a small sample size, his slg has been .469 at the Show so far. I think he can maintain a similar level. Even though Gonzo has been in the majors a long time, his career .slg is .399 at the show. I believe Cozart has more power.

Defensively, when Gonzo was at his best, he was anywhere from +5 to +9.7 Fld. I don't believe Cozart at his best is that good. I believe he is still a good defender, and above average, but not that good.

I'm just not sure I agree with your comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah, but as Doug noted before, Cozart didn't really figure out how to hit until later in the minors. In 2011, his slg was .467, and even though it's a small sample size, his slg has been .469 at the Show so far. I think he can maintain a similar level. Even though Gonzo has been in the majors a long time, his career .slg is .399 at the show. I believe Cozart has more power.

Defensively, when Gonzo was at his best, he was anywhere from +5 to +9.7 Fld. I don't believe Cozart at his best is that good. I believe he is still a good defender, and above average, but not that good.

I'm just not sure I agree with your comparison.
    I hope you are right about his offense. I've had Cozart in my top 5 Reds prospects for the last 3 years, so I've been higher on him than most on here, but I've always had him figured as a .725 or so OPS guy. Take away some of AGon's injury plagued years and that's about where he'd be (Cozart will probably have some years like that too though). I do think Cozart will hit for a higher average than AGon, so his OBP and Slugging may end up higher as well, but I think expecting an OBP above .320 and a slugging much north of .400 is overly optimistic. I still think you are selling him short defensively. A typical offensive year is probably .260/.320/.400 IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-24-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Liking him more every day!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Liking him more every day!
    I've never expected alll-star numbers from Cozart, but don't believe the need them for him to adequately fill the shortstop spot. I believe he and (eventually) Didi will give the Reds a solid young SS duo their and allow them to move Hamilton to CF if his defense at SS doesn't solidify and Stubbs doesn't come around. I've been encouraged by Drew lately though. We started the year with Wilson Valdez, Miguel Cairo and Willie Harris as our IF reserves. By spring training next year, I'd like to see it be Didi Gregorious, Henry Rodriguez and Todd Frazier (if Todd isn't the regular at 3B). Didi (LH) and HRod (SH) would give you a lot of versatility on the bench with their abilities to hit from the left side.

I'm pretty much satisfied with our starting eight right now, although I still want an upgrade in LF. I would also like to see them replace Harris with a LH-hitting reserve OF with some punch if possible (but then, I still don't see why they don't give Danny Dorn a shot at the bench).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Turn Off Ads?