Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What hyped team can you see missing the playoffs completely?

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: What hyped team can you see missing the playoffs completely?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Was going to say Toronto as well. Feels like Florida circa last year.
    Likely because they have half of their roster now

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Cardinals and Angels. Just a gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Cardinals and Angels. Just a gut feeling.
    +1 .. I agree. I think they will both be sellers at the Allstar Break.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    +1 .. I agree. I think they will both be sellers at the Allstar Break.
    Haven't people been saying that on here for ages now? They've said it every year since I've been a member here. Plus, I don't know how the Cardinals are overrated. People aren't picking them to win the NL Central. The most I've heard from national talking heads is that they're one of those teams that will always be in the discussion at the end of the year. Hardly hype if you ask me.

EDIT: Basically the Cardinals are the Detroit Red Wings of Baseball. You keep expecting them to fall off but they are always in the conversation at the end of the year.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 02-12-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Dodgers
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I also think the Giants could miss the post season
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Haven't people been saying that on here for ages now? They've said it every year since I've been a member here. Plus, I don't know how the Cardinals are overrated. People aren't picking them to win the NL Central. The most I've heard from national talking heads is that they're one of those teams that will always be in the discussion at the end of the year. Hardly hype if you ask me.

EDIT: Basically the Cardinals are the Detroit Red Wings of Baseball. You keep expecting them to fall off but they are always in the conversation at the end of the year.
    LOL. If by "people" you mean me...then yes. I've been very underwhelmed by the Cards for the past 5 years or so and they keep producing. Eventually I'm bound to be right....right?

9. Likes:

MikeThierry (02-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    LOL. If by "people" you mean me...then yes. I've been very underwhelmed by the Cards for the past 5 years or so and they keep producing. Eventually I'm bound to be right....right?
    The blind squirrel doesn't eventually catch the nut with the Cardinals. In fact, the squirrel becomes part of the team mascot in a playoff run

You also have to remember that the Cards have a very deep system and I don't see them selling off any of their team. If anything, they will be looking to trade for big name players if push comes to shove.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I also think the Giants could miss the post season
    Easily.

Put the Braves in that basket too.

Yet my pick, though I'm not sure how widespread its playoff expectations are, is the Rays.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Agree w/ the Braves.

When you look at the park factors, it's foolish to expect a big jump in power numbers from BJ Upton, and it's realistic to expect a slight dip in power for Justin.

I correctly pick the "let-down" team every year, at least as far back as I can remember. So my Dodgers pick may as well be set in stone. <end thread>
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Man, Should be good races this year. I could easuily see the Yankees, Dodgers, and Braves missing the post season. I'll add the Rangers to that list.

NL. Nats, Reds, Giants. Cards. Phillies.

AL:A's, Jays, Rays, Tigers, and Angels.

If those teams miss out, it should be a heckuva season.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The hype surrounding the Dodgers is just unreal. Just because they spent enough money doesn't mean they have a great team. I think they're better, because any rotation that fronts Kershaw and Greinke is pretty damn good. And they run eight deep in starting pitchers, with a bullpen that's pretty good. But the lineup, and especially their infield defense, has so many holes, I can't see them being anywhere close to one of the top teams in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No Reds fan should dismiss the impact of defense on pitching stats given the last 5 seasons.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

17. Likes:

JB12 (02-13-2013),nate (02-13-2013)

I want to say the Blue Jays and the Angels, my reason being that they didn't make it to the playoffs last year - that is a big hurdle to overcome in a years time.... Theres so much hype, but they haven't won anything yet.

If I can throw one player in the same category, it would be Bryce Harper, in part due to the Mothers day miracle (2012) that he gave us.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Turn Off Ads?