Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chapman could be in the 2012 rotation...

Chapman could be in the 2012 rotation...

...according to Bryan Price, Says at the least, Aroldis will be looked at as a starter at some point.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman could be in the 2012 rotation...

How many innings could he be expected to give us in 2012? I believe his high is ~109 IP. Would 140 innings be reasonable for 2012? then maybe 165-170 in 2013 and 190-200 by 2014.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Chapman had a wasted year with this organization.

He threw less innings than last year and they still don't know what they are going to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Chapman had a wasted year with this organization.

He threw less innings than last year and they still don't know what they are going to do with him.
    Yeah, I'd like to see him get some 2-3 innings at a time work nearing the end of this year.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    How many innings could he be expected to give us in 2012? I believe his high is ~109 IP. Would 140 innings be reasonable for 2012? then maybe 165-170 in 2013 and 190-200 by 2014.
    Chapman threw 125 in a season while in Cuba. That would mean he should be ideally safe to throw about 155 in a season.

I'd start the stretching out process right now. This is, IMO, about the best news for 2012 we could hear; the only thing comparable would be that Votto had decided to move to LF.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'd start the stretching out process right now. This is, IMO, about the best news for 2012 we could hear; the only thing comparable would be that Votto had decided to move to LF.
    What about Votto signing an extension for about 18M per for 3 additional years to what he has now? I think that would be better than either. Though I do really like both of the other ideas too.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I would sure as heck hope so. Pitching him out of the 'pen is a complete waste of his talents. Also, his control problems won't be as magnified as a starter compared to pitching to just a few batters in relief when every walk (or hit or out) is crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I would sure as heck hope so. Pitching him out of the 'pen is a complete waste of his talents. Also, his control problems won't be as magnified as a starter compared to pitching to just a few batters in relief when every walk (or hit or out) is crucial.
    Not sure how we can believe this after watching Volquez in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Chapman threw 125 in a season while in Cuba. That would mean he should be ideally safe to throw about 155 in a season.
    thanks. thats better than i thought. 155 in 2012. then add ~25-30 for 2013 & by 2014 he'll be able to throw a full workload.

Chapman to the rotation.
    Votto signs an extension and moves to LF.
    Grandal, Sappelt & change get traded for a #2 starter.
    I win the lottery.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Not sure how we can believe this after watching Volquez in 2011.
    I see what you're saying, but Volquez would have been even worse in a relief/closer's role this year. The bottom line is that if anyone pitches as bad as Volquez did this season for the Reds, they'll be bad whether they're a starter or reliever. Chapman needs to acquire more command -- he's probably always going to be wild to some extent -- but if he can get just a little bit sharper he's going to be a very-effective starter IMO. And as a starter spread out over several innings, he can afford a few walks/hit batters. He'll be missing so many bats that it will be tough to get many runs on him. He can't completely lose it like Volquez did at times this year, but I personally think he's going to be a very good MLB starter. Maybe not right away in 2012, but he can at least be a decent No. 4 or No. 5 starter for the Reds.

Ahhh, imagine the possibilities for the rotation if Walt trades for a top-of-rotation starter to go along with Cueto, Leake, Chapman and Arroyo. (To get a TOR starter in a trade, the Reds might have to include both Bailey and Volquez in the deal.)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

Ahhh, imagine the possibilities for the rotation if Walt trades for a top-of-rotation starter to go along with Cueto, Leake, Chapman and Arroyo. (To get a TOR starter in a trade, the Reds might have to include both Bailey and Volquez in the deal.)
    Sign me up for that!

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Good news!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, but those are Cuban innings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yes, but those are Cuban innings.
    Aren't those embargoed here?
    Hope isn't a strategy

Turn Off Ads?