Thread: The Silly Season - World Soccer Transfer Time

Re: The Silly Season - World Soccer Transfer Time

Michael Owen has signed with Man U.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Michael Owen has signed with Man U.
    Wow, Liverpool supporters must be beside themselves. NewU was one thing, the Evil Empire is quite another. In all seriousness, that would be like a former Red Sox fan favorite gleefully signing for the Yankees. Oh wait, that already happened...

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    In all seriousness, that would be like a former Red Sox fan favorite gleefully signing for the Yankees. Oh wait, that already happened...
    And it was WWIII on ESPN when it did.

Milan has signed Gooch. It would be a big deal if he were able to win a starting XI slot next to Nesta. No U.S. player has ever been a starting fixture at a megaclub.

Milan has signed Gooch. It would be a big deal if he were able to win a starting XI slot next to Nesta. No U.S. player has ever been a starting fixture at a megaclub.
    I was just about to post this. I thought he'd get a good deal after his performance at the Confederations Cup, but I didn't expect Milan.

Milan sign Onyewu

Link

Tuesday 7 July, 2009

Milan have made American centre-back Oguchi Onyewu their first signing of the summer amid protests from the fans.

The 27-year-old of Nigerian origin who also just happens to have a Belgian passport, has left Standard Liege and put pen to paper on a three-year deal.

Onyewu came to Milan's attention at the Confederations Cup where the USA reached the Final only to be beaten by Brazil.

He has also played for Newcastle and Metz.

The signing might placate Milan's fans, who gathered at the club's training ground yesterday to protest against the Rossoneri's lack of activity in the transfer market.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Holy crap, I'm ecstatic for Gooch. If he can force his way into the regular XI what an accomplishment that would be!

That is great news for US Soccer and for his career. Its a good spot for him. Milan needs depth at centerback. They just signed Brazil's Thiago Silva, and they have Nesta and Kalahdze but Nesta and Kalahdze are often hurt. He will get his chances, if he trains hard and stays healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    That is great news for US Soccer and for his career. Its a good spot for him. Milan needs depth at centerback. They just signed Brazil's Thiago Silva, and they have Nesta and Kalahdze but Nesta and Kalahdze are often hurt. He will get his chances, if he trains hard and stays healthy.
    The only thing about Onyewu that worries me is that he isn't the slickest ball-handler.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Good point, Maldini finished up the season playing in the middle for Milan.

Also, Italy should improve Gooch's team defense awareness and improve him in terms of being "foot perfect" (he can get turned the wrong way a bit too often on top of the ball-handling sloppiness improbus mentioned). Big, rugged and a pending skills upgrade - nice package.

Wow, Liverpool supporters must be beside themselves. NewU was one thing, the Evil Empire is quite another. In all seriousness, that would be like a former Red Sox fan favorite gleefully signing for the Yankees. Oh wait, that already happened...
    I support Liverpool and I don't mind the signing. I wish Owen success and hope he regains form and fitness. I would have much less patience and much higher expectations were he to return to Anfield. Liverpool need another striker themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The only thing about Onyewu that worries me is that he isn't the slickest ball-handler.
    You don't want a center back handling the ball anyway. Hit it once, hard and away from goal. That's his job, and he's very good at it.

I support Liverpool and I don't mind the signing. I wish Owen success and hope he regains form and fitness. I would have much less patience and much higher expectations were he to return to Anfield. Liverpool need another striker themselves.
    I do suppose he is pretty far removed from his Anfield days. I know I would be upset big time if a former Bristol City player signed for The Gas. It's happened several times before and there is always an air of treason about it.

I do suppose he is pretty far removed from his Anfield days. I know I would be upset big time if a former Bristol City player signed for The Gas. It's happened several times before and there is always an air of treason about it.
    Liverpool fans don't feel too bad because Owen is almost never on the pitch and will end up holding ManU hostage with his constant injuries.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Liverpool fans don't feel too bad because Owen is almost never on the pitch and will end up holding ManU hostage with his constant injuries.
    True enough. He is King of the Training Room, isn't he?

Charlie Davies to Sochaux

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...o-sochaux.html

Don't know anything about them, but the French league is definately a step down from the big 4 but a huge step up from the Swedish league he was playing in.

Turn Off Ads?