johnfayman:" Volquez will start Opening Day. #reds"
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez to start opening day

And people were talking like they didn't even want him to make the rotation. Volquez catches too much flak. It's nice to see him starting opening day; hopefully he'll be able to show off some better control.

I don't understand the reasoning behind choosing the opening day starter before a spring training game is played, but I can't say I'm mad. Don't think it really matters in the long run.

Wonder if this is legit or Fay just being Fay. Wonder how he handles spring training now since he cant spend his time moaning about Sarasota.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Atleast it isn't Harang lol
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

“Nobody’s looser than him,” Baker said. “He can handle the situation. Nothing bothers him. If it does, he doesn’t show it."
    He handled game one of the playoffs pretty well. LOL.

My God! I hope we can win despite Dusty again this year.

I like the move, Volquez matches up stuff-wise the best with Greinke. I think he will be good to go, now that he has had a full offseason to recover after Tommy John.

Personally would have went with Arroyo, then Cueto, but I'll give Dusty the benefit if Fay is right.

Lets not forget the last time Volquez pitched. He couldn't last 2 innings and had Halladay show him up with a no hitter. That memory has been in his mind for nearly 5 months now.

The best thing Dusty does is get the most out of the talent he has. If this lights a fire under Volquez by telling him he's going to be the ace of the staff, that's great. We're all hoping for a return to the 1/2 half of 2008 Volquez that can go out there and dominate. I don't want to say the Reds need that during the regular season with the amount of depth available, but come post-season we are going to need a hammer, and Volquez has the stuff physically to do that.

Opening day starter is one of the more arbitrary decisions a manager can make in my book anyway. The more I think about it the more sense this makes, even before spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    wtf? cueto should be there
    I think if anyone else, it should be Arroyo.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Arroyo earned the opening day start, what's up with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    Arroyo earned the opening day start, what's up with this?
    I don't think Arroyo wanted the opening day start. He also does not like to pitch in day games.

I don't like working 5 day work weeks but I do it because that is my job. I don't care what Bronson "wants" you do what is best for the team and starting EV is not...thanks Dusty...

Legends Never Die

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I don't like working 5 day work weeks but I do it because that is my job. I don't care what Bronson "wants" you do what is best for the team and starting EV is not...thanks Dusty...
    Give Volquez a chance! He deserves it in my mind specially if they say he is ready to go in Spring Training. Plus they gave Harang opening day and look what that did. And you work 5 days a week because you have to. You could go out and become a great pitcher and not pitch day games if you could help it. But I don't see that happening so enjoy your 5 day work week.
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban_Missile View Post
    Give Volquez a chance! He deserves it in my mind specially if they say he is ready to go in Spring Training. Plus they gave Harang opening day and look what that did. And you work 5 days a week because you have to. You could go out and become a great pitcher and not pitch day games if you could help it. But I don't see that happening so enjoy your 5 day work week.
    Deserves it? Based off what?

Turn Off Ads?