Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Re: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

It will be telling if Frazier doesn't play everyday for the next few weeks. I can see Dusty going with an even Frazier/Rolen/Cairo rotation on the corners.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It will be telling if Frazier doesn't play everyday for the next few weeks. I can see Dusty going with an even Frazier/Rolen/Cairo rotation on the corners.
    There is no way.

The Reds should be OK without Votto. I expect him to only miss about 3 weeks. Normally 2 to 3 weeks is the most someone misses from this type of injury and surgery. I've had it and I was up and walking about in no time. This is the easiest part of the Reds schedule now. They should survive this without too much of a problem. If you still can't beat under .500 teams even without your main cog then you were going to be in trouble anyway. I expect Frazier to get the bulk of the playing time at first. I really don't expect a trade for anyone at first unless the injury turns out to be more serious. It will be interesting to see who they bring up from the minors. I haven't read all of this thread but I don't have any idea who may come up from Louisville.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

If losing Votto for up to a month isn't a "big deal' probably shouldn't have gave him $250,000,000.

Of course its a big deal. This was the part of the schedule where the Reds could have made some serious headway, now we probably hope for surviving.

Injuries happen. Not really anyway to prevent it from happening, but to think its not a big deal is a bit crazy.

The one player the Reds need to step up now is Jay Bruce. He really is the only other player on the team capable of carrying a team for an extended period.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    The one player the Reds need to step up now is Jay Bruce. He really is the only other player on the team capable of carrying a team for an extended period.
    Spot on. Time to see what Bruce is made of.......

It's also a test of the Reds' very weak bench. Going into the year we knew that we could not afford serious injuries to either Votto or Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Sure it is, Dr. Blitz. You know nearly none of the facts of this case.

Had he operated on a knee that didn't exactly quite need it, then he would have been a hack who just operates for money.

I get it, Doc Hollywood is an easy target, so let's just tee off on him.

Funny thing about this site- Kremchek is considered one of the finest orthpedists in the country when it comes to sports injuries, and teams (not only baseball teams) from all over the country send patient to him. What a freakin quack! No love here.

Just like the Dusty bashing on this site, this makes no sense to me at all. None.

People get hurt playing baseball. It happens. All the time. Things feel ok, you play some more, and play well. Then it starts to hurt some more, you sit out, get scanned and find an injury. Hey. Let's blame the doc! Kremchek is a hard guy to like, but he is a veritable expert at what he does. Not one single person here ever gives him credit for all the players he has fixed and rehabbed. No one.

Such is the Internet.

The thing is, Kremcheck is not a mind reader. Votto tells him its OK. Votto then goes out and one minute he's limping down to first base and the next minute he looks as if nothing is wrong. I completely disagree with those who say it was "obvious" Votto was hurting. On some plays he looked as if he was favoring it, but other times, he looked fine.

My dad had a torn meniscus, but it was not discovered until three weeks later, when, what he thought to be minor pain didn't go away. The day he went in for surgery, he said the pain wasn't all that bad except for certain ways he moved the knee, he'd get a twinge. He got it fixed and had no more problems with it.

Votto may be the $250 million man, but you cannot stick him into an MRI machine for every scrape and bruise he may get. Votto probably thought it was a simple bruise, and figured he could play through the pain for a few days and it would clear up. Trainer probably looked at it, and told him to keep an eye on it and if it didn't clear up in a few days, then they'd get the MRI. So Votto played with the pain for a few days and it didn't get better.

Not sure how Kremcheck can be blamed for that.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Re: Votto Not Playing Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Kremchek is still a hack though. Amazing Votto was hurt in late June and they allowed him to play with a torn meniscus for nearly a month. Morons.
    I'm still a little bit scared.. Would anyone be surprised to hear in a few weeks.. Well, once we got in the knee, it was worse than expected.. Votto will be out longer..
    Kremcheck has a history of that... Heck, just with this, they initially announced that Votto just needed 1 day off..

I hope it's only 3-4 weeks.

And yes, Kremcheck has a horrible record of catching these injuries when they happen.. Or if he does catch them, his record of "well, what the heck, try to play through it" is really aggravating.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Just searching for some other examples of torn meniscus, and so far found this recent one for Emmanuel Sanders, WR for the Steelers. Torn on October 30th, had surgery soon after that, and then played on November 27th after practicing already on the 23rd and 24th. So figure maybe about 22 days between surgery and full activity.

Sanders practiced fully Wednesday and Thursday and, barring an unexpected setback, expects to play Sunday night against the Chiefs in Kansas City. He injured his knee in the Steelers' 25-17 win against New England Oct. 30 and had arthroscopic surgery shortly thereafter.

Thursday, Sanders said his knee felt good and that there has been no swelling, a good sign in his recovery.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz20t1HmtR5

I agree. You know how many competent surgeons would kill to be the Reds medical director? Instead, we're stuck with Kremchek.

During one of his many media appearances, did anyone ever ask him about Edmonds' comments? The guy is a complete hack. .
    I agree. Don't forget Bowden accused him of malpractice with Jr (Bowden was later forced to apologize). Sure, Bowden was a dirtbag, but why would he publicly dennounce his own medical person? Well, we know that Doc Hollywood became the Reds doctor under an agreement with John Allen where Doc H PAID the Reds to do it. Typical mentality back then.

I'm sure Doc Hollywod is fine at repairing knees, shoulders, etc that he fails to diagnose in a timely manner, but he has a history of not catching stuff in a timely manner. He also has a history of sending players out to play before they are ready.. Clearing Jr to "pinch hit" when he could barely walk is probably the most glaring example.

The Reds need another doctor to look at their players when the player is hurt.
    Maybe Doc Hollywood can still do the surgeries, but I don't want him to be the guy that looks at a player right after an injury.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

We don't know exactly what happened here but some of us fans here on RZ upon hearing that he had swelling after this happened on the west coast, called for them to do an MRI right away given that this was Joey Votto and not Wilson Valdez. Let's hope both Joey and the Reds learned a lesson in all of this

Wow, when did it become protocol for players to request MRIs? Isn't that the job of the medical director? .
    Agreed 100%.

If Doc Hollywood is the expert, shouldn't he be the one to order the MRI?
    Why is Joey figuring out his own protocol for diagnosis?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Have the Reds announced who is getting called up yet?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Agreed 100%.

If Doc Hollywood is the expert, shouldn't he be the one to order the MRI?
    Why is Joey figuring out his own protocol for diagnosis?
    I thought it was part of the players contract that they cannot force a player to get an MRI.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?