Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Donovan and UK...

Re: Billy Donovan and UK...

No, Eddie Sutton is the one who gets blamed for Eddie Sutton just like the decline of the UK program under Tubby's watch is blamed on Tubby. The program had been trending downward, undeniably, for the past 5-7 years. At the University of Kentucky, as my dad would say, "that dog don't hunt."

There's no curse on UK bball. If a coach is brought in capable of harnessing the potential of Kentucky basketball, they'll succeed, and be judged by, their own merits and results.

Billy will be given ample time to bring in his players and implement his system. What fans, myself included, want to see is a trend that things are getting better, that there is a workable plan in place. Fans will see that with Billy. Tubby's plan? Schedule enough patsies to get to twenty wins? Run a system that is maybe the ugliest offense in all of college bball? Show intense loyalty to assistants who don't deserve to keep their jobs BASED ON PERFORMANCE? Whatever his plan was, it was evident that it didn't involve getting UK back to a top-tier bball program anytime soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Schedule enough patsies to get to twenty wins?
    You do realize that, according to RPI, UK played the #1 toughest schedule in the country this year. Previous years SOS rankings:

2006 - 15th
    2005 - 30th
    2004 - 7th
    2003 - 15th
    2002 - 3rd
    2001 - 3rd
    2000 - 1st
    1999 - 12th

http://kenpom.com/

Most of the rest of the stuff you've said, I'll agree with, but Tubby scheduling "patsies" is not one of them.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

No, I knew someone would bring up the SoS argument... but look at his record the past few years against the top 25. We play the UNC's of the world, but they've been kicking our butts consistently for the past few seasons. The vast majority of our non-conference wins the past few years have been against the College of Charleston's of the NCAA.

Schedule enough patsies to get to twenty wins?
    No, I knew someone would bring up the SoS argument... but look at his record the past few years against the top 25. We play the UNC's of the world, but they've been kicking our butts consistently for the past few seasons. The vast majority of our non-conference wins the past few years have been against the College of Charleston's of the NCAA.
    Two different arguments. Scheduling "patsies" is different from not winning enough games vs. good teams.

Clearly Tubby has not scheduled patsies as you state in the 1st quote above.

The second argument is fairly valid.

I look at it like this... it's almost like he knew he'd lose the "marquee" match-ups, so he countered that near-certainty by making the rest of the games against teams such as EKU etc etc. I see the two linked b/c seemingly the entirety of our non-conference schedule was one extreme or the other and I think Tubby planned it that way for a reason.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-29-2007 at 10:34 AM.

Dabvu, unrelated question, is Langhe (sp?) still playing pro ball anywhere?

I look at it like this... it's almost like he knew he'd lose the "marquee" match-ups, so he countered that near-certainty by making the rest of the games against teams such as EKU etc etc. I see the two linked b/c seemingly the entirety of our non-conference schedule was one extreme or the other and I think Tubby planned it that way for a reason.
    I'm having a hard time remembering that this past year's team actually beat Louisville and Indiana, but it did happen.

In my opnion, what you describe is what everybody does. Check some of the match-ups Pitino scheduled back in the day. Some very good and some very bad.

Let me ask you this: You really want UK to play a tougher nonconference schedule?

No, I'm honestly fine with the scheduling... and yeah I'm probably being too hard on Tubby as far as the scheduling is concerned... I guess the fact that UNC and Kansas have beat us like a drum the past few times we've played them prevents me from giving much credit to what, if anything, our "toughest schedule in the nation" says about our team or our former coach.

Dabvu, unrelated question, is Langhe (sp?) still playing pro ball anywhere?
    Dan Langhi. Played in 06-07 for OSG in the Japanese "SuperLeague." Not sure how he's done. Will look that up.

Oh hey another name I just thought of, what about Freije (sp?) Haha, those damn Vandy players and their hard to spell names!

BTW, I went to high school and was good friends with Scott Hundley. I was so happy for him his senior season when he made those last minute free throws to beat UK. TOTALLY deserved. Loved seeing him win sixth man of the year in the SEC his senior year. Another player Tubby should have given a scholarship to, IMO. Very high basketball IQ.

No, I'm honestly fine with the scheduling... and yeah I'm probably being too hard on Tubby as far as the scheduling is concerned... I guess the fact that UNC and Kansas have beat us like a drum the past few times we've played them prevents me from giving much credit to what, if anything, our "toughest schedule in the nation" says about our team or our former coach.
    Your previous posts made me think you wanted a tougher schedule.

But the conclusion you've drawn here is by me.

Oh hey another name I just thought of, what about Freije (sp?) Haha, those damn Vandy players and their hard to spell names!
    You got that one right.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/matt_freije/

Got released by the Hawks back in December. A little more research shows me that he's more than likely not playing anywhere. One of my buddies swore he saw him at the Vandy-Gtown game this past Friday.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 03-29-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Dan Langhi. Played in 06-07 for OSG in the Japanese "SuperLeague." Not sure how he's done. Will look that up.
    Looked it up. He led the SuperLeague in scoring at 27.25 per game.

Word out now is that UK has employed the same hiring firm to help with their "search" that hooked Tubby up with Minnesota. Do any of you wonder if their employment of the hiring firm is a smokescreen to counter the rumors of earlier this week?

Also, regarding that Cats Pause rumor, it only said that Donovan's agent had worked out a deal. Even if true, there's nothing that says that Donovan has to accept the deal. Perhaps he told his agent something to the effect of "Go work out the best deal you can and leave me out of it. I've got to concentrate on the Final Four. Tell me after the tournament is over what the deal is and I'll think about it."

I'm inclined to believe that some negotiating has taken place, and perhaps a deal has been worked out. That does not mean that Donovan will be coaching at UK, however.

Turn Off Ads?