Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering

Re: Magic: The Gathering

:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    As to Magic cards -- are the older ones from the 90's worth anything at this point? I had a ton of the regular white-border cards from c1994-1995. I think they're still in the basement somewhere.
    I have a feeling they are worth a decent amount of change...

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Steel, I'll bet you a beer at the next Redszone gathering that savafan breathed a sigh of relief in regards to you hitting on his soon to be wife when he read the above.

Meh. I'd never really hit on sava's wife-to-be.

Now, that's not to say she wouldn't hit one me...:

It is sort of funny though when my buddy and I (both upper-30's professional types) are playing at a tourney and one of our wives shows up. It's like most of the players have no idea what to do. I swear that the best Two-Headed Giant tourney partner is a hot chick in a low-cut tee shirt. She doesn't even know how to play. All she has to do is sit there, take direction, and the waning attention span of the opposition will take care of itself.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I have a feeling they are worth a decent amount of change...
    Depends on what set they're from and what they are. For example, Unlimited was the last white border set to contain "Power Nine" cards like Black Lotus, the five Mox cards, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, and Timetwister.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Nine

I've owned three of the five Moxen (Jet, Pearl, Ruby) and Time Walk in my day (all Unlimited white border), but sold them for well over $100 each. A few other Unlimited white border cards can draw some cash (Forcefield, Gauntlet of Might, Berserk, Chaos Orb, Illusionary Mask) but most of those are strictly for collector value as they're not major Vintage tourney cards. The rest of the Unlimited "money" cards (the dual lands) were reprinted in Revised as well (and for the last time). Those are well worth having, but the dropoff in potential value from Unlimited to Revised sets is quite severe.

Of course, both Alpha (the first printing) and Beta are both more valuable than their later printings due to the black borders. It might seem weird that a Beta Black Lotus will likely bring more dollars in the market than an Alpha Black Lotus, but the Alpha set isn't actually tournament-legal because they have slightly different card "corners"; leaving them as "marked" cards if included in a tourney deck. So if a player wants a black-bordered "Power Nine" card, they have only the Beta set from which to select.

Lots of nuances on the value scene for older cards and value is pretty consistently driven by either rarity or what's playable at the time.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Depends on what set they're from and what they are. For example, Unlimited was the last white border set to contain "Power Nine" cards like Black Lotus, the five Mox cards, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, and Timetwister.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Nine

I've owned three of the five Moxen (Jet, Pearl, Ruby) and Time Walk in my day (all Unlimited white border), but sold them for well over $100 each. A few other Unlimited white border cards can draw some cash (Forcefield, Gauntlet of Might, Berserk, Chaos Orb, Illusionary Mask) but most of those are strictly for collector value as they're not major Vintage tourney cards. The rest of the Unlimited "money" cards (the dual lands) were reprinted in Revised as well (and for the last time). Those are well worth having, but the dropoff in potential value from Unlimited to Revised sets is quite severe.

Of course, both Alpha (the first printing) and Beta are both more valuable than their later printings due to the black borders. It might seem weird that a Beta Black Lotus will likely bring more dollars in the market than an Alpha Black Lotus, but the Alpha set isn't actually tournament-legal because they have slightly different card "corners"; leaving them as "marked" cards if included in a tourney deck. So if a player wants a black-bordered "Power Nine" card, they have only the Beta set from which to select.

Lots of nuances on the value scene for older cards and value is pretty consistently driven by either rarity or what's playable at the time.
    why isn't "Sol Ring" as valuable as the other nine?

Also, what is a "mana curve"?
    The "mana curve" is really nothing more than the concept that you want to be able to cast something every single turn or have the ability to cast something on every single turn. So the casting costs of your cards are important. The following link contains a pretty good explanation of the "curve":

http://www.magic-league.com/article/...ld_a_deck.html

And, I read on a site that Blue is considered the strongest color. Is that true?
    It's cyclical and it depends on the available card pool. In practice, the best color is the deck that's capable of winning most often versus the rest of the field. But that field is ever-changing and sometimes it can morph overnight into something completely unexpected. That happened in 1998 with the printing of Urza's Saga, when Blue became the best color on the planet because of the printing of the following card:

Tolarian Academy is the best MTG Land ever printed. In fact, outside of Black Lotus and the five Moxen, I consider Tolarian Academy to be the most powerful Magic the Gathering card ever printed as it, in combination with other cards, allowed a first-turn kill by forcing the opponent to draw every card in their deck plus one. If a card is supposed to be drawn and can't be, that's a win. Here's the creatureless decklist drawn from memory:

Academy 1998

Instants (12):

2x Power Sink
    2x Meditate
    4x Intuition
    4x Stroke of Genius

Sorcery (8):

4x Windfall
    4x Time Spiral

Enchantment (3):

3x Mind over Matter

Artifacts (15):

4x Lotus Petal
    4x Grim Monolith
    3x Scroll Rack
    4x Voltaic Key

Land (22):

4x Tolarian Academy
    4x Ancient Tomb
    12x Island

A first-turn kill is pretty complicated and invovles a pretty good draw (but nowhere near impossible), and my teammate got it the very first time he playtested the deck. What you want to do is drop a bunch of cheap artifacts and then build huge mana using Mind Over Matter to constantly untap your Tolarian Academy.

At the time, we didn't have the kind of online info or play we have now so the deck was actually created by a good number of folks in isolation. Personally, I feel that my version was the best to ever hit the tournament scene and my work rewarded me with a State Championship after finishing the last game of the finals on my turn two on the play after my opponent cast only a Jackal Pup. It was the last play he got to make. The rest of the time he just sat there watching me tap and untap stuff in order to make him draw his deck plus about 250 cards.

It was fun, but it was also completely unfair. It was so unfair that within a month of States over half of the deck was banned. But those cards weren't banned quickly enough to keep Tomi Hovi from winning Pro Tour: Rome with an optimized "Extended" format deck.

Today, it's a rock/paper/scissors game. Everything good has its foil and as soon as that foil is found, the game shifts. Blue is still good in some ways, but that color's ability to just flat out counter anything for two mana is gone so it relies on the color's ability to cast most stuff (including creatures) on the opponent's turn. Right now, just about every color is good in some combination. It's a healthy format.

--Ted Williams

I saw a listing for a deck with no creatures and thought it had to be a mistake...

I saw a listing for a deck with no creatures and thought it had to be a mistake...
    I always did that. I loved my direct damage decks. I consistently defeated nearly all my opponents in four turns or less.

why isn't "Sol Ring" as valuable as the other nine?

It's not as valuable due to the combination of availability and power level. While the "Power Nine" are all Rares, Sol Ring is an Uncommon; so there are a lot more of them around. Also, Sol Ring was reprinted in the Revised set and the Power Nine were discontinued after Unlimited.

While Sol Ring is a powerful card, it's not nearly as broken as its 0-casting cost completely unfair cousins, the Moxen and Black Lotus. A Revised or Unlimited Sol Ring will likely bring anywhere between $10 to $20 on the open market depending on condition. A Beta Sol Ring can likely end up well over $50.00 even in lightly played condition as it's currently the only black-bordered tourney-legal issue of the card.

--Ted Williams

is there anywhere online to view prices for cards.. like a "beckett" but for MTG? I also have a ton of cards sitting around, collecting dust.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    is there anywhere online to view prices for cards.. like a "beckett" but for MTG? I also have a ton of cards sitting around, collecting dust.
    You can check both eBay and http://magic.tcgplayer.com/ for prices. Just understand that if you're selling to a dealer, you'll likely get only near 25% to 50% of the value for most cards. If you have high-dollar rares like any of the "Power Nine" you'll probably be able to do a bit better than that.

If you've done the research and have some good stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM as I'm always interested in buying collections.

--Ted Williams

I just rediscovered my cards. It's a good thing I have no one to play the game with.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I just rediscovered my cards. It's a good thing I have no one to play the game with.
    I taught my kids to play and just play with them. I love the game because it combines the strategy of chess, the people skills of poker and the random fun of craps.

I have always been more the collector than player... I have probably 30-40 thousand cards... Most of which I have won in tournaments or traded for. I have assembled a fair number of complete sets and have a set of power nine plus two extra moxen. My biggest collection is dual lands... I have 92 of them including two full playsets.

I just revealed the game to my nephew. I told him he could have my cards if I could find them, but I have no clue where they have gone.

My memories of Magic are good ones, mostly college when I'd go home.....get stoned and play for hours listening to Zeppelin. Good Times.

I catch losers stealing these cards all the time at Wal Mart

Turn Off Ads?