Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chapman to Arizona Fall League

Re: Chapman to Arizona Fall League

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Well, yeah, I guess the whole exercise would seem like a waste of time if you don't think he's going to be any good.
    I think he'll be good in 2014 or so.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chapman as a starter, fine. Make everyone a starter. Starting depth is great.

Your bullpen is maybe Cordero, a free agent. Masset, Bray, and Ondrusek each of whom struggled in the second half. Masset has struggled a lot in the last two years. Arredondo.
    That's about it.

I hope Walt is focusing on the bullpen. There is a severe shortage there. It will not just fall into place.

I think many people forget that Chapman was a stud starting pitcher in Cuba. We tend to view him like a top draft pick out of high school who needs to learn the game.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Chapman threw an inning today with a walk and a strikeout.
    http://www.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/y2010...ddwin_srrwin_1
    Last edited by klw; 10-24-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Chapman threw an inning today with a walk and a strikeout.
    http://www.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/y2010...ddwin_srrwin_1
    Looks like he didn't start. What gives?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Looks like he didn't start. What gives?
    He only went one inning, does it matter whether it was inning one or inning four?

This is just to get his arm ready for starting in PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Chapman as a starter, fine. Make everyone a starter. Starting depth is great.

Your bullpen is maybe Cordero, a free agent. Masset, Bray, and Ondrusek each of whom struggled in the second half. Masset has struggled a lot in the last two years. Arredondo.
    That's about it.

I hope Walt is focusing on the bullpen. There is a severe shortage there. It will not just fall into place.
    Wore out bullpen because of poor starting pitching. "Focusing on the bullpen" will start with improvements in the rotation.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He only went one inning, does it matter whether it was inning one or inning four?

Excuse my ignorance, Doug, but are you implying that the plan is to warm him up in the Arizona Fall League and then give him some starts in winter ball to really stretch him back out to being a starting pitcher again?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Yes it does. Warming up to start is different. Are they preparing him to start or not? I don't see how pitching him one inning in the 4th prepare him to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes it does. Warming up to start is different. Are they preparing him to start or not? I don't see how pitching him one inning in the 4th prepare him to start?
    They are easing him back into starting. Its like Spring Training. Next time he may go 2 or 3 and then probably 3 or 4 and on to winter ball. And like Spring training, its upping the pitch counts and getting him used pitching, sitting while his team bats and then going back out there that matters, not whether he's the first pitcher of the game. He's layed off for a month and wasn't pitching long stretches all season. I'm glad they are going slow. He's still just 23 and in the danger zone for an arm injury. Did anyone think he was going to go 7 right away?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

m_sheldon Mark Sheldon
    Heard Chapman did not make AFL start today because of arm soreness. Will update when I know more. #reds
    Hope it's not serious.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

-The Insider-

It starts.

Not something you want to see.

johnfayman John Fay
    Chapman was scratched from today's start in Ariz w/ shoulder stiffness. Jocketty says it's not serious. Chapman may throw next week #reds
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?