Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Intersting Baseball Prospectus Stat I real last night....

Intersting Baseball Prospectus Stat I real last night....

1 in 4.28 outs last year was made on a third strike. It's not just the Reds that are K'ing like crazy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Intersting Baseball Prospectus Stat I real last night....

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    1 in 4.28 outs last year was made on a third strike. It's not just the Reds that are K'ing like crazy.
    Wonder how that number compares to the rest of baseball history? Higher? Lower?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    Wonder how that number compares to the rest of baseball history? Higher? Lower?
    I can do some looking up tonight, but I hadn't realized it was that high. Think about it, 54 outs in a game, that's 12.6 K's per game (counting both teams)! That alone could be one of the reason's why game times and pitch counts are so up.

I don't think the stat is implying that they were all K's. Is it possible that outs were made on 2 strike counts (fly outs, ground outs, etc)? Or am I looking at it the wrong way?
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I don't think the stat is implying that they were all K's. Is it possible that outs were made on 2 strike counts (fly outs, ground outs, etc)? Or am I looking at it the wrong way?
    No, I think it was. I'll reread it tonight to make sure. It was in one of the team sections I was reading in the 2007 edition.

No, I think it was. I'll reread it tonight to make sure. It was in one of the team sections I was reading in the 2007 edition.

I could be completely wrong, that just seems really high to me.

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I could be completely wrong, that just seems really high to me.

No, it's right. That would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-31,000 K's a year. (figuring 30 teams at 162 games, and 6.3 K's a game per team). That works out to the approximate league totals I just looked up on baseballreference. I know it's not an exact lookup, as some teams only have 24 outs per game by winning at home, shortened games, etc. but on rough estimates it's a strikout every 4.28 outs. That's atrocious. And I agree, it seemed ridiculously high.

No, it's right. That would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-31,000 K's a year. (figuring 30 teams at 162 games, and 6.3 K's a game per team). That works out to the approximate league totals I just looked up on baseballreference. I know it's not an exact lookup, as some teams only have 24 outs per game by winning at home, shortened games, etc. but on rough estimates it's a strikout every 4.28 outs. That's atrocious. And I agree, it seemed ridiculously high.
    Thanks for the clarification. Who says pitching's watered down?

-Pete Rose

Ok, it was in the Minnesota Twins section of the book, and it was 23.7% of outs are on third strikes.

The MLB K/9 has hovered around 6.5 during the 21st century. It's 6.55 this season. Figure 27 outs a game and that works out to a little less than 1/4 of all outs coming by K.

It's up from 1 of every 5 outs 20 and 30 years ago. It went up after the 1993 expansion. Not coincidentally, so did scoring. That's right, more Ks, more runs.

Ks are also more of a necessity in the modern era. The offense is so good that if you can't whiff hitters at better than a 6.0 K/9 clip, you're in for a thrashing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?