Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #50 prospect?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP James Allen

5 16.13%
  • RHP Jonathan Correa

3 9.68%
  • 1B/OF Danny Dorn

4 12.90%
  • C Mark Fleury

3 9.68%
  • LHP Blaine Howell

1 3.23%
  • UT Devin Lohman

3 9.68%
  • RHP Kyle McMyne

1 3.23%
  • RHP Erik Miller

0 0%
  • UT Cody Puckett

1 3.23%
  • OF/1B Bill Rhinehart

0 0%
  • RHP Chad Rogers

0 0%
  • OF Steve Selsky

3 9.68%
  • RHP Mark Serrano

0 0%
  • OF Bryson Smith

7 22.58%
  • LHP Clayton Tanner

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%

Thread: Who is Redszone's #50 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #50 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    #18 OF Ryan LaMarre
    #19 1B Donald Lutz
    #20 OF Denis Phipps
    #21 RHP Tim Crabbe
    #22 RHP Andrew Brackman
    #23 LHP Amir Garrett
    #24 UT Brodie Greene
    #25 LHP Donnie Joseph
    #26 1B/3B Sean Buckley
    #27 3B Junior Arias
    #28 RHP Josh Smith
    #29 2B Ryan Wright
    #30 RHP Drew Cisco
    #31 OF Kyle Waldrop
    #32 RHP Pedro Villarreal
    #33 RHP Josh Judy
    #34 RHP Nick Christiani
    #35 RHP Drew Hayes
    #36 IF Juan Perez
    #37 LHP Chris Manno
    #38 IF Chris Valaika
    #39 RHP Josh Ravin
    #40 RHP Dan Tuttle
    #41 RHP Dan Renken
    #42 LHP Ismael Guillon
    #43 RHP Alejandro Chacin
    #44 RHP Radhames Quezada
    #45 RHP Jake Johnson
    #46 RHP Sal Romano
    #47 RHP Vaughn Covington
    #48 LHP Mitch Clarke
    #49 RHP Jonathan Perez

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #50 prospect?

Last one. Thanks to all of you for the participation and quality discussion. With that said, my final vote is going to James Allen. I feel like he's the one we'd be most embarrassed about omitting when we look back on this list.

Still liking Bryson Smith. James Allen is definitely right there, though. Also in the photo, for me, are Lohman, Puckett, Selsky, Howell and maybe Fleury.

Smith has now hit well in his last three stops (College World Series, AZL Reds, Billings--mostly small samples), and is apparently skipping Dayton. Here's the write-up on him from the spring preview on the Dragons website:

Bryson Smith is an interesting prospect to follow in 2012. Smith played college baseball at the University of Florida, a team that advanced to the runner-up spot in the 2011 College World Series. In his senior season with the Gators in 2011, he hit .328 with a pair of home runs. Then, when the post-season began, Smith emerged as Florida's best hitter. In 16 post-season games, he hit .439. He was first selected to the Southeast Conference All-Tournament Team, then chosen to the College World Series All-Tournament Team. Smith was drafted by the Reds in the 34th round and initially assigned to the Goodyear Reds. He played in just six games in Goodyear and hit .385 to earn a promotion to Billings. With the Mustangs, Smith played in 19 games and hit .362 while belting five home runs and driving in 18 runs in just 69 at-bats. His slugging percentage at Billings was .667 and his on-base percentage was .483, both tremendous numbers. Combining his numbers with Goodyear and Billings, Smith batted .368 in his first season of professional baseball. The sample size is small, but the results could not be much better. Something started to click for Smith toward the end of the 2011 college season, and it continued through the summer. Smith is 23 years old and bats from the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Still liking Bryson Smith. James Allen is definitely right there, though. Also in the photo, for me, are Lohman, Puckett, Selsky, Howell and maybe Fleury.

Smith has now hit well in his last three stops (College World Series, AZL Reds, Billings--mostly small samples), and is apparently skipping Dayton. Here's the write-up on him from the spring preview on the Dragons website:

Bryson Smith is an interesting prospect to follow in 2012. Smith played college baseball at the University of Florida, a team that advanced to the runner-up spot in the 2011 College World Series. In his senior season with the Gators in 2011, he hit .328 with a pair of home runs. Then, when the post-season began, Smith emerged as Florida's best hitter. In 16 post-season games, he hit .439. He was first selected to the Southeast Conference All-Tournament Team, then chosen to the College World Series All-Tournament Team. Smith was drafted by the Reds in the 34th round and initially assigned to the Goodyear Reds. He played in just six games in Goodyear and hit .385 to earn a promotion to Billings. With the Mustangs, Smith played in 19 games and hit .362 while belting five home runs and driving in 18 runs in just 69 at-bats. His slugging percentage at Billings was .667 and his on-base percentage was .483, both tremendous numbers. Combining his numbers with Goodyear and Billings, Smith batted .368 in his first season of professional baseball. The sample size is small, but the results could not be much better. Something started to click for Smith toward the end of the 2011 college season, and it continued through the summer. Smith is 23 years old and bats from the right side.
    Mighty impressive for the opportunity he had, but he is 23 year old out of the SEC playing in the Arizona/Pioneer Leagues in a small sample size. It's nice to see him flash a little bit of power, which suggests that he might have switched up his swing somewhere along the way.

Still, I feel that we'll be hearing more from James Allen. He seems like a very good candidate to contribute as a middle reliever in the majors one day.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

My last vote goes to Kyle McMyne for pure upside purposes. Can't go wrong with Allen or Smith, though.

We need more votes!

I wonder if, for the record's sake, we might add a footnote to the final totals: Also receiving votes . . .

Just to show who was under consideration.

I wonder if, for the record's sake, we might add a footnote to the final totals: Also receiving votes . . .

Thanks to Camisa for running this year's prospect polls and to everyone who participated. It was enjoyable as always.

Went with Dorn, just cuz.

Puckett, one more time. IMHO, way underrated.

That's a lot of work, but sure--anything for you, mace.

I was just thinking of the votes on the #50 poll: James Allen 5, Danny Dorn 4, Jonathan Correa 3, Mark Fleury 3, Steve Selsky 3, Blaine Howell 1, Kyle McMyne 1, Cody Puckett 1. But upon reflection, we really don't do another thread with the entire list, I don't think. So the "also receiving" would be seen simply by calling up this thread . . . Let me add my thanks for keeping this going, camis.
    Last edited by mace; 04-06-2012 at 10:56 AM.

I think there are 8 to 10 players on the list that will have above average major league careers. Certainly many have a chance.

My top 8 choices:
    Mes, Cozart, Hrod, Cingrani, Corcino, Hamilton, Frazier, Barnhart,

My Next 8 choices:
    Brackman, Judy, Stephenson, Soto, DiDi, Lutz, Buckley, Ryan Wright

Longshot:
    Vidal, Yorman, Duran

thanks for running the poles.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Bump in case people want to easily find last year's list.

Turn Off Ads?