Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

keep up the brilliant managing, lets keep trusting fossilized retreads

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

I didn't touch the game thread and I'm sure it's been said 100 times but it's time to go to the young arms in the pen. If you can't downright cut the grandpa's out there, put them in the back of the pen and pitch them in mop up until they prove otherwise. Move Coutlangus, Coffey, Salmon, Saarloos to the front. Get McBeth, Medlock, etc. up here. There is no reason to lose with these guys anymore. If the Reds are going to lose games like this, I'd much rather see the young guys taking their lumps than the old men blow it game after game.

Here's some stats to chew on. I'll start by stating that the Stros are only 8-14 against everyone but the Reds. They are not a good team right now. The Reds have led the Astros at some point of the 8th inning in 4 of our 5 games with them, only to go 1-4.

Against Houston on the year
    Starters ERA: 3.46
    Bullpen ERA: 10.5

Even more painful is to look at our 8th innings against them:
    Over half the runs we've given up on the season to Houston have been in the 8th inning of the 5 meetings. The bullpen's 8th inning ERA against them is 21.6.

Obviously, the bullpen has been at its worst against Houston. I think the point has been made however. As the team struggles to keep their head above water, the bullpen is essentially a 40 lb weight strapped around the collective Reds' waist.

We're 2 games under .500 and 5 games out. If the bullpen hadn't blown it against the Stros, we're 4 games over and only 2 games out. What's Wayne going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by KYRed View Post
    Here's some stats to chew on. I'll start by stating that the Stros are only 8-14 against everyone but the Reds. They are not a good team right now. The Reds have led the Astros at some point of the 8th inning in 4 of our 5 games with them, only to go 1-4.

Against Houston on the year
    Starters ERA: 3.46
    Bullpen ERA: 10.5

Even more painful is to look at our 8th innings against them:
    Over half the runs we've given up on the season to Houston have been in the 8th inning of the 5 meetings. The bullpen's 8th inning ERA against them is 21.6.

Obviously, the bullpen has been at its worst against Houston. I think the point has been made however. As the team struggles to keep their head above water, the bullpen is essentially a 40 lb weight strapped around the collective Reds' waist.

We're 2 games under .500 and 5 games out. If the bullpen hadn't blown it against the Stros, we're 4 games over and only 2 games out. What's Wayne going to do?
    Wow, great research on those stats KY. Before the season started, I had the Astros picked to finish last, and I still think that's going to happen as they're really not a very good team. It seems like any bullpen move Narron makes against them backfires and for some reason, always comes in the 8th inning. If the Reds expect to have a shot at the playoffs this year, guys in the 'pen need to step up and come through in the late inning situations. If they don't, Wayne needs to dip in the minors (Maj, McBeth,Burton, Dumatrait?, Medlock) to see who will.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    keep up the brilliant managing, lets keep trusting fossilized retreads
    Well I do think that he should have gone to Couter instead of Stanton, but would you have wanted him to bring in Santos tonight?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

He started warming Salmon up with two outs in the bottom of the 4th.

Thought he would then come in the 5th, but as we all know he didn't come in at all.

This would have been a nice test for the rookie who could have come at these guys with the heat.
    Thought Coffey did a nice job, and he throws harder than the guys in front of him last night. Would have been nice to see if the 'stros could hit 95-97 fb's in the bottom of the 8th.

In ST hitters had a tough time against Salmon, hitting a lot of ground balls, just what we needed last night with runners on base. Oh well, maybe we will s ee him tonight.

The only thing more painful than watching the bullpen implode again is reading the Santos support group.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The only thing more painful than watching the bullpen implode again is reading the Santos support group.
    What hasn't Santos done this year? The guy has been the best out of the bullpen so far this year.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56337

Maybe you'll recognize the poster who started this thread too.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?